Nickname for the Battery

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by smudgers, May 1, 2008.

1. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    We need a nickname for the Battery. Arsenal has the gunners, Man U has the Red Devils, Chelsea has the ____, I don't think I want to say what we call Chelsea!

What about a name for the Battery though? Any thoughts. Gunners would have been perfect if Arsenal wouldn't have beaten us to the punch a "few" years too early.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well im sure we'll get several "suggestions" from opposing fans, and being a Chelsea fans, I kind of like "The Pride of the South"

But the Battery is kind of a nickname in my opinion. While traditional here in the US to give each team a "nickname" (thankfully ares is quite a bit better than most) Overseas it seems more natural for the name to come more organically and naturally.

mikey

3. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am diggin' "Pride of the South"... I may have to think on this one...

4. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    How about "the Battery?"

Dont' you already have a nickname?

5. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the posts, the acid, or the cells? Oh wait, that other kind of battery. Sorry.

6. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    We also need some good chants for the matches, something besides... let's go battery! stomp, stomp, stomp...

Mikey - I figured the Chelsea comment would get you riled up. My wife is also a Blues fan. She also likes the Cubs when I'm a White Sox fan. You can't win them all!

7. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the "alkalines" or the "lithiums". How about a chant that starts out with something like "We will, we will, jump you" to the beat of "We will rock you" by Queen. How about a team slogan like "Lets go DELCO on their asses". Check this one out, a banner with the "Energizer Bunny" getting busy at the expense of the Rochester Rhino. One last thing, tee shirts with the Ever Ready Cat, drinking the Atlanta Silverbacks milk shake. Again, I am sorry, but I'm just so damn bored at work today. I will try to leave you alone now, but I can't promise anything.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has ben a great week for us chelsea fans, You should have stopped by the Madra Rua Sat at 7:30 to watch the match.

How'd you two end up married? I've heard that opposites attract but ManU/chelsea and Cubs/White Sox? Next Ill hear one of you will be a Clemson fan and the other a Gamecock fan.

I also agree we need to better with the chants. A couple years ago we had a unofficial "capo" that led some chants and song in E10. But he has moved on and now we seem to have moved to more drums with the occasional chant.

A few years ago, the Battery handed out some song sheets with the program but they never really caught on.

9. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with the cheers thing. A good set of cheers will make a good match environment even better.

10. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    PR fans have many nicknames for the Battery,

the Blaberry, supersoakers, Nuestros Hijos, pistolitas de agua, etc...

The list goes on and on.

11. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    We got married before we really knew each other. Go figure. All joking aside, the competitive nature is what I like the best about her.

I was planning to go to Madra for the Chelsea/ManU match but didn't wake up in time to get there. Real good week for the Blues. Tying up the Premier League and Winning the SF match against Liverpool. Should be an exciting finish. And now Rooney (my man crush) is out for the remainder of the regular season. A fight to the finish!

I too remember the song sheets, they only passed them out for a couple weeks though, right or am I thinking of something else?

12. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A man crush on Rooney? Oh the nerve.

Although, I did really, really like Michael Ballack while he was with Bayern.

No man crush there though.

13. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    Yeah - my wife doesn't understand it either. She thinks Roo is an ugo! I don't really swing that way, but he's not that bad looking. I am more attracted to his skill!

Okay now that the akward moment is over with, I must do something manly /insert grunt, snort, spit/ how 'bout them Bears and a Monster Truck Rally!

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be, we used to have an announcer, who would say, "let's connect the negative and the positive and jumpstart your Battery!" We would just look at each other and wonder...

15. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...playoff busters.....:D

Gonna party like it's 2....... thou.....sand.... and.... six.... (sorry, I was wearing my purple crushed velvet Prince outfit).

BTW, just watched your boy Velez bury a header against the Red Bulls up in Toronto. Well done.

16. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    It is bad enough hearing "make some noise for your boys" and "clap your hands in the stands" over and over and over again as it is. I can't imagine! However I went to one of the Charleston Sandsharks (Arena Football) games and everytime someone would lay a block or tackle someone the announcer would say "You just got sharked!" Went to one game and heard that comment at least 50 times.

17. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ugh...

Smaller venues like the Baud, even though I have not seen it yet, really lend itself well to being tough places to play if the fans make it so with cheers and singing.

That may take some time. Having cheer-leaders could be something to consider. Not the skirt-wearing kind, either, although that never hurts...

18. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    I would love it if we had more singing in the crowd. Last year FC Dallas came and we sat with some of their fans. They hummed the Dallas TV show theme song which I thought was pretty awesome. They had a good arsenal of songs.

Other countries are great for supporting their teams by singing and chanting. Some of their songs may not fit into the supposed family atmosphere of the 'Baud but at least they are supporting their team. Cheer leaders may be the way to go, how 'bout it Mikey --- you up for the challenge?

Speaking of family atmosphere and skirts, did any body else get weired out by the D.I. dance team they had on the field during half-time of the Seattle match? Not too big on watching 4-12 year old girls shake their pompoms, among other things. Those dances were not something I would have expected to see from a children's dance team at Blackbaud! Maybe I'm a prude but I know I am not the only one that thought that way.

19. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, glad I was in the parking lot drinking and missed that! At least the Bombshells had grown up components...:D

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We have pretty good support in E10 and we have several people that are willing to sing songs and chants (and we do!) Unfortunatley like I said we really dont have a 'Capo' leading the chants. typically soemone starts a well known chant and a few others join in. but it is pretty Unorganized. a 'capo' can bring that all together but I dont think I would be the best choice. my "job" frequently finds me in "exoctic" location sometimes with as little as a three hour notice. Ideally there would be two or three individuals that would take turns leading songs and chants.

the Atmosphere has improved alot over the years and its pretty good down in E10 and spreading over to E9 as well but I would if the whole stnads are chanting and sing.

21. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    I might try to swing over to E10 tonight. My wife is going to try to bring our new baby girl out to the game for a bit. She might bounce out of there a bit early so I might swing over.

22. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a feeling I am going to regret living so far away from Charleston and missing out on all of the fun on match days...

23. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Energizer Bunnies? ;) Or you could just shorten it to the Energizers. :)

24. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    Thanks Tim for contributing to a recycled joke already posted in this forum. Maybe you should take notes from LJSoccer, his comments were at least creative.

Goindownsouth - sounds like it may be time for a move! :)

BTW - I started a "Sports Fans in Charleston" page on FanNation. If you want to join up, go to http://www.fannation.com/groups/show/39206

25. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Come on, dude! I just recently moved HERE! LOL

Let me get settled in South Carolina, first.

It could be worse, I could be trying to find a thread for the Silverbacks or something...LOL