Nick Webster Pulls the Old "Henry Goes Missing In Big Games"

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Gunner Phan, May 21, 2006.

1. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    FSC "Passport to Germany" show.

while discussing France, Webster says henry hasn't showed up for big games since Euro2000. I thought he just meant International games. He then goes on to use as an example Henry's performance against Barca :rolleyes: 1. he doesn't mention that arsenal were a man down for 70 minutes 2. Has webster forgotten Real in Madrid?

what a schmuck

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    or THAT goal vs sperz.. or THAT goal for france vs ireland..
    much ado bout nothing.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Thanks for the great discussion topic... ;)

4. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I also learned from Nick Webster on FSC yesterday that Fabien Barthez was at Monaco (still???!) and injured for part of the season (actually, he was suspended in the beginning for the ref incident and he's at Marseille. Hasn't been at Monaco since Henry's been there!!). Trezeguet was not doing so well at Juve even though he's been scoring in the CL and Serie and won the Serie A for them on the last match of the season. I blocked everything else out....

What else did he say about Henry? Because he has scored in a big game for France.. oh, yeah, it was their lastest match (not friendly) which was a qualifier where they HAD to win.

Gosh, FSC infuriate me so much sometimes. I've never learned anything,- scratch that, anything CORRECT or factual from Webster, Bretos or any of their other match commentators.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    This is why I'm supporting Setanta's eventual progression towards America's #1 international sports provider.

6. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    This was addressed to Gunners you stalker ;)

7. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    exactly how I pheel.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer to talk about moon landings. Teso, your thoughts?

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webster, the Fox Football Friday idiots, et al are all the same, hired by FSC because they have an English accent so they must know about football! :rolleyes:

The only useful analyst on that station is Bobby McMahon, seeing as how he actually has a background in soccer.

10. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember in the biggest club game of them all that Henry got an assist. Yeah... he really went missing there!

11. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    what a beautiful pass that was too matt.
    he also sprung ljungberg clear late in the 2nd half.
    henry is such a badass in big games.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been among those who've lamented a lot of missed opportunities, but this stuff needs its grain of salt, as well.

Using Wednesday as an example. At least two writers have opined that Henry blew two "clear" chances: The strike in the box within the first several minutes after whipping around the last defender, and the break away at the 70 min mark after being fed by Hleb. After watching the replay I don't think he'd ever manage a full knock on the first shot. The situation forced him into tapping the ball anyway possible before losing the opportunity, and the result was a toe ball that went toward the keeper. A bang bang play that produced a solid threat but had more to do with location (& yards out or so) than with having a "clear" shot.

The last one? Yes we've seen plenty of people make that shot, but I'd wager even pros miss it as often as they make it. Seriously. Factor in fatigue, the pressure of the game, the run of play meaning it's not like he can tee it up. I'd wager many a D 1 striker might even shoot wide or high and miss the goal completely. Henry will never get that (journalistic) pass, however, because a) he's a striker and supposed to finish those, and b) he's built a rep as one of the best strikers. Each moment is judged independently by the press, but in comparison to the reputation. So, for one moment he wasn't near-perfect, erego he must be a failure in every big game, right?!! Yet if his shot had the fortune awarded Biletti (sp?), who's shot would be considered poor by any coach because it went right at the keeper, Henry would've been lauded as the winner of the clash of titans.

How fickle.

Yeah, I wish he'd hit it. But I also know that there's a good chance he might actually do that the next time he gets the chance. That's why he's still a top striker. ;)