Nichols Suing Michael Moore

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorJones24, Oct 29, 2003.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Not a lawyer, but if Moore put the video interview w/ James Nichols (Terry's brother) in BFC without Nichols' permission, it seems like he'd have an airtight case (assuming he could prove he didn't give permission, or Moore couldn't prove he did--not sure who the burden of proof would be on).

I imagine he'd also have a case for libel if the movie makes it seem as tho Nichols played a role in the OKC bombing.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nichols is on a long list of people who said that Moore tricked them and in some cases flat out lied to them regarding BFC. A few of the Columbine victims and their familys are non to pleased with the fat bastard.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh, come on. Complaining about this is like complaining that Jerry tricked you after you appeared on the Jerry Springer show. You can hardly say Moore hides the kind of reporting he does - he had shows on cable and broadcast TV for crying out loud.

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    maybe it's just me, but i never got the impression from BFC that terry nichols was involved in the OKC bombing

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can he have been "tricked" when Moore interviewed him with a film crew sitting next to him at the table?

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex and Dante?

7. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Moore lied and his conscience died.

8. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
  9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article...

" In the lawsuit, Nichols, who lives in Decker, said Moore misled him about the purpose of the interview."

The article never mentions that he was tricked into doing an interview, it merely points out how Moore lied to him.

10. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
  11. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Of course he has a case. It's already been filed. The rest is just fancying up a story and negotiating a settlement.

P.S. - if Nichols were a real man, he wouldn't hide his gun under a pillow.

12. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    My nominee for dumbest line of the year!

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Same here. Moore interviewed them, gave a few stats and facts and a healthy dose of his own opinion, which is clearly within his rights. The people complaining are simply people who don't agree with his point of view.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the movie, Nichols tells Moore he will show him the gun under his pillow if he doesn't film it. A DVD of BFC is probably all the evidence he'll need.

15. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Would this help?

[ironic note] if Nichols were a real man, he wouldn't hide a gun under his pillow [/ironic note]

16. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I guess Nichols is dumb enough not to say during the interview that he didnt want to answer a particular question or say he thought the purpose of the interview was different.

17. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Ian and Mel Brennan?

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So?

Obie said "How can he have been "tricked" when Moore interviewed him with a film crew sitting next to him at the table?"

The article stated " In the lawsuit, Nichols, who lives in Decker, said Moore misled him about the purpose of the interview."

It's safe to say that he knew there were camera's there and he was being interviewed.

Reading is fundamental.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I'm not doubting Nichols' stupidity. I was merely pointing out that he knew there were camera's there and that an interview was going on.

20. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    All he had to do was say "Stop. No Thanks. Goodbye".
    I'm not a fan of Moore, he's a nutjob plus BFC contains a lot of inaccuracies. But this suit like many others is laughable.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding one of the parts in question (the gun under the pillow), Nichols told them he'd show Moore as long as he didn't film. Moore's camera man shot the footage across the hallway from another room. Technically, he breached his agreement on film. I think it is a ludicrous lawsuit, but Moore probably hung himself by sticking that part in the movie.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'm assuming your own posts have recused themselves?

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he was afraid of his brother Terry.

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Nice condescension. Not necessary. My point is pretty simple. "Nichols alleges Moore misled him about the purpose of the interview." I'll assume that is true.

Perhaps I was too concise in my remarks, regarding the legal impact of that fact, so for purposes of helping you understand, I'll expand further:

So what?