Nicholas "Niko" Gioacchini at SM Caen

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, May 17, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caen defeated Chambly on the road 1-0.

Gioacchini did not play and Caen did not make a single sub (which is very rare these days)

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I would usually say "cap him how", but 13th place in League 2 doesn't impress me. Championship in England and second bundesliga are far stronger second divisions I reckon. If he can move up a level, by all means give him a shot.

The Irish Rover and DHC1 repped this.
  6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Perhaps you are unaware of the rest of our striker pool. It sucks. Kid should be a slam dunk invite to the U-20s and see how he does there. He and Kelman are our two best options for that team right now.

7. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a 2000. So he’s too old for the U-20s

8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well crap. My bad. Then yes he should get a call up to the Nats. Not sure there's time to get him involved or he'll even be released for Olympic qualifying.

9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2G, 0 assists in 797 Ligue 2 minutes is fine for a 19 year old in his first season playing first-team minutes. He's certainly one to follow. I think he's pretty interesting in terms of being a prospect.

I don't think we'll see him with the USMNT anytime soon. Sargent & Jozy with Zardes as #3 seems to be the current list. Who knows, maybe Siebatcheu gets a look.

The Olympic team isn't hurting at forward right now. On my last projection, I have Ferreira & Ebobisse in (over Toye, Wright, and Soto). I can't see Gioacchini making his first ever US appearance in an important tournament like Olympic qualifying. and bumping those guys on a roster that is very small (17 field players, 3 GK).

But then later in the year, Ferreira, Ebobbise will compete to make the USMNT.

It's great news that there is competition. Gioacchini deserves to be in the mix but I think he needs to do more because there are guys in front of him. I am not knocking him at all either. He's a lot doing more than a number of players we talk a lot about (like Soto and Wright)

largegarlic, keller4president and kruck repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needs help on his flopping:

74 ' @Nicholas_gioacc collapses into the surface but the referee does not flinch ...

12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 FT. It doesn't sound like he was involved in Caen's goal

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Winoman, DeCoverley and 2 others repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Winoman and TxEx repped this.
  16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about this a few weeks ago but I didn't know how true it was. Cardoso was in line for a call-up with the injuries to Bradley and the uneven health of Tyler Adams.

Gioacchini may or may not have been called up but he was helped by the fact the U-23s were in action. If that wasn't the case, I feel confident that Ferreira would have been called up to the USMNT.. that would only hurt Niko's chances.

But the push back of the Olympics into 2021 is a huge boost for Gioacchini and other players for two reasons.

1) More time to prove himself since he's unknown even at the YNT level.
    2) The U-23 player pool needs to expand.

The schedule is anything but set, but the chances are now that Olympic qualifying will take place when the USMNT plays WC qualifiers as opposed to friendlies.

What that means is that it is unlikely Berhalter sends age-eligible players down to the U-23s when they could feature in a WCQ. This is going to affect a lot of players.

Jackson Yueill is probably a backup on the USMNT but could see action. That will create a need for a No. 6 on the U-23s and Cardoso could fill that void if Internacional wants to release him.

Reggie Cannon is also unlikely to shift down to the U-23 team if the USMNT is doing something serious. I think that favors a guy like Kyle Duncan.

For Niko, Ferreira's situation will likely help him depending on Caen's releasing him.

Then of course, any of these players could blow up and make the full national team. Who knows? But for a guy like Niko who is only at 1200 Ligue 2 minutes in his career and has has 0 USYNT callups, the U-23s seem like a great opportunity.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems GGG likes to vet the youth players firsthand...before passing them on to the youth teams.

hopefully these players get another chance

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the French government announced that no sporting events would be permitted before September, the French Ligue de Professional Football made the decision to end the Ligue 1 and 2 seasons using the standings at the time of abandonment. Thus, SM Caen finish the 2019/2020 Ligue 2 campaign in 13th.

Gioacchini's final 2019/2020 stat line is 2 goals and 3 yellow cards 1,204 minutes (16 games, 14 starts) in Ligue 2. He also had 2 goals in 149 minutes (2 starts) of Coupe de France play in which SM Caen were eliminated in the Round of 32. Finally, Gioacchini scored 2 goals in 235 minutes (4 games, 2 starts) with SM Caen II in the fifth tier Championnat National 3 Group J: Normandy. With the remainder of the season cancelled by the FFF, SM Caen II won their group and have been promoted to the Championnat National 2 for 2020/2021.

Winoman repped this.
  25. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sampdoria, who is currently 16th/20 in Serie A are reportedly monitoring Gioacchini. I used translate but it says they need to undertake a youth movement and scout lesser-known players from minor leagues. They scouted some of Caen's games and are now targeting Gioacchini. He has an Italian passport due to his father. I don't know the Serie A rules but this will definitely help.

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/sampdoria-spesa-a-caen-due-giocatori-nel-mirino-66388