Nicholas Lindsay injured...expected to miss the 2011 season

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by deepm, Jan 11, 2011.

1. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/lindsay-expected-miss-2011

Bad news for TFC. Lindsay injured his knee during the offseason.

I was looking forward to see the kid play an entire season. He looked pretty good in his debut last season.

With it being a knee injury, he is going to have a long road ahead to recovery. I just hope fans don't expect the world of him when he recovers and blast him if his form is mediocre initially.

2. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, this is just awful news, he was one of the high points of the latter 2010 season. It's a shame not to be able to use him next year, and at the human level, even worse that such a thing should happen to a kid in his prime.

Let's all hope he has a speedy and effective recovery.

3. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    Damn...we all saw first hand what a knee injury can do to a youngster's game, re: O'Brien White.

I hope he's able to fully recover, unfortunately these injuries can take 1-2 years to be 100% again, and even then you never have the pace you once did.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We also saw a player on the women's team (Kara Lang) who had to walk away from soccer at age 24 because of knee problems.

Definetly sucks. His pace would've been a great asset in total football. The club won't say how he injured his knee which is curious to me.

5. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
  7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Jacob Peterson also joined the team after coming off ACL reconstruction near the end of the 2009 season, so I am curious to see how he does after another offseason under his belt.

8. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very bad luck for the kid, having a year lay-off really can hurt his development as a footballer, specially at such a young age. Hope all the best for him and his recovery to full health.

9. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC looking to Milltown is the new rumour with regards to Lindsay's tragedy.

Apparently transfer fees are the issue. I think that with a third division Canadian side MLSE should be able to afford it, Milltown are probably asking for chump change compared to what TFC pays most of their subs.

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting, but I think it's a little melodramatic of the article to be calling Linday's injury a tragedy.

11. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree and disagree, it is tragic for Lindsay, but at the same time he'll likely play again and he could've been injured worse or killed, so it isn't a tragedy, I'm torn.

12. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its not a tragedy, its stupidity. Look, im not against a youngster having fun, but as a professional athlete i think you have to make better decisions for your off season "thrills"
    I never got how or why you would race motorcycles, or ride them without a helmet or whatever dumb things when big money is riding on your ability to perform.
    Unlike you and I where i can hobble to my desk and work a professional athlete MUST be able to perform physically at top levels required by the league and if it were me, I wouldnt jeapordize it on silly stuff like snowmobiling or riding a motorcycle.

13. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's no evidence that he was racing or doing any sort of hotshot riding, he got in an accident, lay off the kid.

14. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It was likely a part of his contract restricting such activities.

15. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I also agree and disagree.

This is what I would refer to as a "personal tragedy" which is pretty much what you've said.

It's isn't a tragedy in the sense that Tucson, Arizona was a tragedy (amongst many other things).

16. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I agree with the "lay off" sentiment, I also agree that he put himself in a potentially dangerous situation and with so much future potential staring at him in the mirror, he perhaps should have thought twice or three times about heading out on his skidoo.

That said, what's done is done. I hope the kid isn't beating himself up too badly. He has to focus on the future and what will hopefully be a 100% recovery.

17. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Again, there's no proof he was racing or trying to do anything particularly fancy on the snowmobile. Snowmobiling is a pretty common thing in the winter among families that can afford it, he's probably been doing it since before the TFC Academy existed. Now because he's been played four times he's supposed to stop taking part in a simple, common hobby in his off-season?

The short answer is "no".

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you follow all the rules, snowmobiling can be just as safe as riding in car.

It's all a question of whether or not he was practising safe snowmobiling, and that is something that none of us really know.

19. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, tragic for him, a bad development for TFC. Just throw it on the large pile of roster issues to deal with.

20. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why arent you telling the people who compare this to a tragedy to lighten up on that statement as well then?
    look i can tear my ACL walking across the street, getting up from the couch to get a beer from the fridge, or slipping in the shower too. Snowmobiling would be just like motorcycle (as i mentioned in my post as well) as something that has contractual clauses usually for athletes to refrain from these activities. Motorcycling can be safe as well under non racing, non fooling around scenarios, yet clubs still place wording in the contracts against this off season activity.
    All i said is maybe consider what implications these "thrills" could posibly attract where maybe your potential career may be affected.

21. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I DID say that. I said:

It is a personal tragedy, not a real tragedy. I feel bad for the kid, but I'm not weeping. I'm also not going to call him "stupid" with absolutely no details other than "snowmobiling accident".

22. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    and i didnt call him stupid. I called out the stupidity of the act...ie, getting himself injured on a "thrill" activity that may be frowned upon by the club for its players. Actually almost any pro sports club....not unlike riding motorcycles. I wouldnt doubt most have it written in contracts. The fact that the team commented on it and were "fully aware" of the way the injury occurred and were careful to state that they were only concerned with the recovery of the young player leads me to believe that they are being diplomatic about how to address the situation in the media..and maybe feel a bit differently behind closed doors.
    Having said that, its Nick Lindsay, not expected to be a big part of the squad this year anyway so who really cares.
    Lets hope he recovers now, and can contribute in the future.

23. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Right, he was just our only decent left winger at the end of last season, why would that worry anyone?

24. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If our hopes for the wing was on Lindsay for this year we have bigger problems.
    Only decent winger at the end of last season...and yet we still for the 4th year in a row sitting on the sidelines watching the playoff start.

And this would make you worry?

25. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Losing depth in the squad at any time is worrisome, especially when it's a young prospect with such potential. Nicholas Lindsay is a player we could've gotten years of quality play out of.