Nice TV deal for Galaxy, Chivas

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by BuffloSoldier, Nov 12, 2004.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    the pw I have to get in is not working. what does it say?

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Key points:

"At least 40 Galaxy and Chivas USA matches, including Major League Soccer games and international friendlies, will be televised locally on the Fox Sports Network next season as part of a groundbreaking broadcast move by the Galaxy and its parent company, the Anschutz Entertainment Group."

"Chivas USA, owned by Mexican businessman Jorge Vergara, yielded its sponsorship sales and broadcast rights to the Galaxy as part of the agreement that allows Chivas USA to play in Los Angeles and to share the Home Depot Center with the Galaxy."

How can anyone dislike Chivas USA? Well at least the potential (and now those being realized) off-field benefits of having them in MLS. This looks to be an outstanding broadcast deal.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says that you need to go to bugmenot.com to get another password.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, this is a very good deal for the Galaxy, Chivas USA, and the league as a whole.

5. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    How is this deal better compare to other MLS teams?

6. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, just each team's share of the FSN local broadcasts will be more games on TV than most other teams. I believe the Galaxy already led the league in number of games broadcast with the combination of a handful of smaller L.A. stations.

7. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS is actually making money to have the games on TV, instead of paying to have their games on TV.

8. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

Something ALLLLLLLLL of you are missing here. MLS is actually going to get paid on this broadcast rights deal from FSN. LOL I cant believe you guys didnt even mention that.

"Substantial!" was the word used by the MLS brass.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Both the Revolution and MetroStars claim that honor, since they broadcast all games, home and away, something that the Gals don't do.

10. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    As a DirectKick subscriber, I don't think that is true. IIRC, the MetroStars had every single one of their games on local or national TV. Whereas, I recall a couple Galaxy games not being carried: (e.g. the first home game against KC). The Metros' deal with MSG is quite extensive, including a weekly Metro report show and a pre-game show before every game.

Now, this tidbit may be unique:

Have any of the other MLS teams been paid a "rights fee" to broadcast their games?

11. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    nope... not all for the metrostars except 1. I believe MSG does the best job in MLS in providng good TV coverage. weekly show and pre and post game wrap up.

I wonder if MLS/Metros got any $ off MSG or was it a pay time slot deal

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    From what I understand, in exchange for the amazing Metrostars coverage provided by MSG.... MSG gets to keep X amount of revenues sold from advertising. The deal is food for MSG $$ and good for Metro who get advertise their product in a professional manner. Now if only the Metros played professionally. :)

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that only one or two Metros games in the last five years have gone untelevised, I'm pretty comfortable in rounding the number of Metros' televised games to "all."

14. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a smart move cause FSN goes all the way down to San Diego. They will gain more fans!

Hey, I have a question. Why can't MLS get a deal with FSN to air weekly games like ESPN and FSW? I know that they mostly local networks, but I know they had some baseball playoff games and college football games nationally this season.

15. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    So, because this is a deal with FSN, then Galaxy/Chivas games will be seen anywhere you can see Fox Sprts Net, like all the regional FSN channels?

16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe DC United was paid a small amount in either 1997 or 1998 to move their games to DC Channel 8(??)

Andy

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't see any post-season baseball on my FSN affiliate. I saw it on Fox, which is different. FSN is a bunch of regional sports networks. My local FSN, for instance, shows Pittsburgh Pirate baseball all summer. Other FSNs have other baseball teams over the summer, for the most part. Which is why MLS will never a contract with FSN like it has with FSW or ESPN. Say they have a contract to show a saturday evening match... if the Pirates have a game against, say, the Cardinals, and both local FSN affiliates are showing the game, there's two markets who don't get soccer, which will leave me, for one, bumming.

So, in short, MLS teams can get contracts to show their games to local audiences because FSN is a series of regional networks, each of which has their own audiences which they basically show games of regional interest.

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They showed like 2 Houston-St. Louis games on FSN because Fox was airing NY-Boston. Maybe it was only in Southern California.

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i believe the word used in the reports is "first significant" rights fee

recognizing that there was something before... but not on this level

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, this is only for Fox Sports Net West and Fox Sports Net West 2, which only cover southern California, southern Nevada, and Hawaii.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though anyone in the nation with the MLS Direct Kick Package will be able to watch those games live as well.

-G

22. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana

I'm sorry to hear that.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, it's okay. I like minor-league baseball.