NHL EXPANSION?

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by EPJr, Aug 28, 2014.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    For now, the NHL has disputed reports that the league plans to expand to Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec City and add a second team in Toronto by 2017. Let's assume otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    Expansion is a way of generating free money for existing NHL owners. The NHL expanded by four teams from 1998-2000, adding Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota and Columbus. Each paid an $80 million franchise fee, allowing the league to distribute nearly $12.5 million to each existing club.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ion-arizona-coyotes-anthony-leblanc/14739931/

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the reports are to believed (and I'm not sure), the NHL is looking to get over a billion from the 4 teams.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Before expansion, how about moving the Miami team to a proper sports town, such as QC? 7000 announced attendance tonight. Probably 3000 actually attended.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the lease on their arena? Their attendance is truly dismal, but unless their lease is ending in the near future, they aren't going anywhere.

5. SOUTHEND_TFCRED

Jan 16, 2015
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    nhl should not consider expansion...there are too many teams in money trouble....Islanders,Florida,Buffalo,Edmonton,Columbus all struggling..silly talk of another
    Toronto team is just that silly....the Leafs and Sabres wont allow it..not in their territory anyways.
    Quebec is not a good choice...failed once will fail again...i like Seattle, but as a relocation of one of
    the teams i already mentioned..opps forgot the sadsack Phoenix team.. if the nhl wants to expand..
    a european division with russian, czech, slovakian, finnish and swedes and maybe german teams is
    the way to go...

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foley, the billionaire chairman of Fidelity National Financial, a Jacksonville, Fla.-based company that provides title insurance and mortgage services, is combining forces with former Sacramento Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof of Las Vegas in an effort to launch a NHL team in Las Vegas. They want a major-league hockey team to start as early as the 2016-17 season at the MGM-AEG arena, scheduled to open in April 2016.

7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

SHOULD

They SHOULD not consider expansion. I agree.

However SHOULD is not a verb and these guys can't stop themselves when someone (anyone) is throwing new money in their direction. Seriously, if Vladimir Putin wanted to put a team in Mockba and his check cleared............the NHL would have a team in Moscow.

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So there will be expansion. Vegas and Quebec City appear to be the frontrunners. Makes you wonder how the league will solve the problems with the sad sacks Florida and Arizona once Quebec City is no longer available.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    NHL Expansion Bids From Las Vegas, Quebec City - ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13295115/nhl-only-expansion-bids-came-las-vegas-quebec-city

10. MISLGrapher

MISLGrapher Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Arlington, TX
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    The rumor I've heard for a while is that Seattle, Kansas City, Quebec City, and Las Vegas all will get teams in the next five years. Two will be expansion, and two will be movement of existing teams (Arizona and Florida, looking at you guys). Hartford is a rumor as well if/when KC falls through; I don't see either happening though.

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    NHL Settles On Las Vegas For Expansion - Associated Press
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/f665...9c6/ap-source-nhl-settles-las-vegas-expansion

A person with direct knowledge of the NHL's decision says the league has settled on Las Vegas as its choice for expansion, provided organizers can come up with a $500 million fee.

The person spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because details have not been released by the league ahead of its Board of Governors meeting on June 22. Quebec City was also considered for expansion. A second person who had been briefed on the decision said Las Vegas was a "done deal" following the recommendation of the NHL's executive committee. The 2017-18 season would be the earliest the league would expand.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman had proposed an expansion fee of $500 million, a significant jump from the $80 million paid by the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild, when the NHL last expanded to 30 teams in 2000. The Las Vegas bid, led by Bill Foley, says it has secured more than 13,200 season-ticket deposits for a potential team. A 20,000-seat multipurpose arena near the Las Vegas Strip opened in April.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF... Vegas over QC? That makes no sense...

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like the NHL is doubling down on their southwestern gamble, hoping another regional rival for Arizona might help the appeal of both franchises. They probably would've preferred Seattle but since their arena looks to be far off...

My own interest in the league would've been better piqued by adding Quebec City or a bona fide hockey community, but that's just me. And since I already consider Bettman a tool this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Mattbro repped this.
  14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Arizona is a dead man walking, no? I know we've been saying that for years, but they're literally being kicked out of their arena and it doesn't appear as if anyone wants to keep subsidizing them.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Essentially, yes. From a pure financial standpoint they should've been shipped to Winnipeg before Atlanta.

I think the NHL is dealing with two issues: One is the myopic sense with which they're pushing expansion purely to chase large TV markets with seemingly little to no regard for the true support/potential for hockey, which remains a niche sport. The other is this rather blind devotion to providing east/west balance. So rather than grow organically they're intent on driving the league some mystical,magic number of 32 in hopes that the end result will be a sum greater than the whole of its parts.

16. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Isn't Las Vegas too small though? According to Google their population is just over 600k. That's about the same as Ottawa (a team that struggles with attendance) but obviously a way smaller % of the population gives two shits about hockey.

Hopefully it bombs and they move to Quebec City!

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL Seattle‏ @NHLSeattle_ 3h3 hours ago
    720 seconds.
    That’s how long it took to hit our goal of 10,000 deposits.
    We’re now at 25,000 and counting.
    Thank you, Seattle.
    #NHLSeattle

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... WTF.. they are accepting more deposits than there are seats in the stadium? That seems a bit harsh..

Next question, how many to actual people vs. scalpers?

That being said.. Daaaaaaaaamn. It took Las Vegas several weeks to get to 10k...

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly.. just ensured that the new team won’t have that uni. Looks solid though.