[NGR] Olympics US v. Nigeria [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As my title was changed by the ever present thought police, I'll restate it here:

Michael Orozco is a moron.

He should go back to his team in Mexico and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cross the border into the US again.

The champion boneheaded, undisciplined play of all time.

2. BigT#20

BigT#20 New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Aiken, SC
    Re: [NGR] Michael Orozco is a moron!

In his defence though that was a blown call(as was 99% of the rest of the game) That was a yellow at most but def not a red.

3. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The elbow that broke the camel's back, really.

So many little mistakes by the US in the tournament that you have to expect something ELSE probably would've happened this game anyway.

Stupid yellow cards, stupid red cards, stupid non-used subs.

4. Michael_AE

Michael_AE New Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was just plain dumb but we gave everything on the field. I think that ref was a little too card happy. What was that yellow on Feilhaber for? He was talking to the ref for all of 10 secs! That loss was a combination of Orozco being stupid and bad refreeing

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

He was asking for a yellow card, which I believe is supposed to be a yellow card itself, though it doesn't seem like it's hardly ever enforced.

6. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another usa performance

Bad Shlt happens to stupid teams.

McHead was useless the whole tournament.

Davies did more in 8 minutes than Brian did in 270.

Can we officially take Nowak's name off the Galaxy coaching list? Please?

7. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In any case, Peter Nowak is due to be sacked. Good riddance.
    Excuse me why I see how the Olyroos do against the Ivory Coast.

8. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wrong. There is no defense for him.

FIFA has definitively stated that ANY blow with the elbow is an immediate ejection. It was a perefectly good call.

He just wasn't able to summon up the disciplne to refrain from it. Shame on him and syonara to his NATS career.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's just a shame when a red card ruins what promises to be a very exciting game.

Stupid play.

On the plus side, our players are getting better, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

10. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That game was fun to watch for the first 4 minutes. More reasons to hate Mexico, I guess.

11. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, a lot of things knocked us out of the tourney. In order of importance:

1. Orozco's red. Yes, stupid play. Could have been either yellow or red, but either way, just an incredibly dumb play, letting getting banged a bit frustrate you into something idiotic in front of the ref. I'm not willing to write him off as a player just yet, even though I'm ticked off as heck about it. At the risk of offending lots of people out there, I don't think the Mexican league style is good for him. How many times have we seen plays like that from Mexico when playing them? It's a fairly characteristically frustrated action. Superliga this year showed there isn't a huge gap between the MLS and the Mexican league, so maybe it's time for him to play for a more disciplined side. Anyway, there's no doubt the team played it's butt off, scrapped to the end, and playing shorthanded just killed them in the end. The second goal was almost entirely tired legs. The first goal was a marking problem with Edu. Even if Parkhurst got beat like he did, Edu just ball-watched and let his guy drift to the center. That's one of the problems with having a midfielder player center defense. Mental errors.

2. Adu and Bradley's suspensions. The team held on pretty well witht he pressure, but overall they had no one to hold the ball and direct traffic in midfield. If they'd had their preferred midfield they might have been able to hold off the pressure better, not have so many boot-'n-scoot plays, and been a little more dangerous on offense. It's a "might have been" situation, but I really think that would have helped.

3. Failure to finish with the keeper out of position. The Nigerian keeper wasn't that good, and he kept getting caught out, and I remember about 3 times we should haev found the open guy to bury it. Empty net situations. That really cost us. I'd like to go back and see those again, because I was jumping out of my seat in frustration when they happened.

4. Bad luck. The Sibon goal. Feilhaber's hitting the crossbar. We were SO danged close to going through.

So, thoughts going forward? Here's a few.

1. We need Adu to play pretty much every national team game we can get him for a while. He's clearly developing into a playmaker, and probably a different kind of player than everyone envisioned, but he's really improved, and the more time he gets with the USMNT the better, I think.

2. I am not willing to give up on Feilhaber. His touch wasn't that great all tourney, and he didn't get enough run time (which you can't blame Nowak for) but his passing vision is still superior to anyone else who plays midfield for us right now. I can see where he's trying to go, and when sharp, he really has the ability to pass in tight spaces and break open a defense. He absolutely HAS to get first-team football this year, or he may never develop into what he can be. That said, his attitude also needs to change. That was a stupid yellow, and you could see it coming. Keep your cool, play on, and make your point on the field, not with your mouth.

3. Marvell Wynne is the real deal. If I were his coach, he'd be doing crossing drills every day after practice. He gets down the field with pace and nice moves, and then looks up and has NO idea what to do next. It's a shame. But his speed on defense and strength is impressive. Add better crossing and he's better than anything else we have on the flank.

4. Charlie Davies really looked good. Also really fast, and with some very nice ball moves. Good first touch, didn't try the patented US forward move of "dribble into a crowd and see what happens!" Very interested to see how he fares with Hammarby this next year, and thinking that he may be a good option in the future depending on how he develops.

5. Guzan really played well. He had some great saves, read the game well, and really had no chance at either of the two shots. He didn't give up a bad goal in the tournament, made good stops, came off his line well. The only time he scares the **** out of me is when he uses his feet. He should never try to dribble, EVER.

Sorry for the long post, but I got up freakin' early to watch the game before work, and I still haven't calmed down from that frantic ending.

12. socceroo949

socceroo949 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Same old same old. The US still sucks at soccer. Period.

Since the 02 world cup which we went (2-2-1) at for an AMAZING .500 record, we have been an utter failure. I would argue that we never actually achieved anything other than being better than Mexico.

Anyways, top problems:

-Taking Michael Packhurst as a senior player. First Nigerian goal anyone?
    -Having "give-a-way Sasha" as a playmaker.
    -The typical haughty attitude of our youth national team players now-a-days (Maybe if we didn't anoint these guys as future national team players at age 12 they would actually have to work for their spot).
    -The "old boys" coaching club, we need to get some interntional experience in US Soccer.
    -Marice Edu playing out of position at center back? With a country of 315 Million people we can't have a player who naturally plays in the center of the field for the freaking olympics?
    -And that stupid idiot who threw an able. See the above mentioned US attitude.

13. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    In response to the Mexico comments:
    I am pissed at Orozco, but he is an American. He was born here and plies his trade in a foreign country. Stop the Mexico crap, he is an American just like you and me.

14. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    My shot at top problems.

1. Not filling holes with the overage players. Specifically LB. Orozco was hung out to dry. He is a center back. Pearce or Lewis over McHead.

2. No Donovan, Brasil brought Ronaldino, Argentina brought Messi but no Donovan. He would have made a big difference today.

3. No third sub when trying to kill the dutch. Holden was spent and that is why he made a dumb foul.

15. Galaxy64

Galaxy64 Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell thats right!! DITTO

16. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I liked him, I must say, thought he was pretty lively at times and has a decent touch. His passing was all over the place a bit, but he, Davies and Wynne looked good for the US, despite Wynne being awful to watch he reminds me of the old style, Sol Campbell big fat centre back.

17. tmdrdd

tmdrdd New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but as much as I want to watch the games, I just can't do so this time around

18. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    Thoughts going forward:
    I think we have a very strong team. Jozy, Adu, Holden, Guzan, . I think every player will only improve.
    I'm not sure why we brought McBride with us.
    I think the US ends up getting stupid cards.
    Think about the Cards against Onyewu, and Mastroenin in the World Cup.
    The cards are dumb, Adu's card, Orosco's card, Feilhaber's card , all were avodable.
    IN fact if you look at the Orosco elbow, he was being pushed and pulled by the Nigerian player , until he snapped back.
    The US has to learn how to play the mental game a little better.

I think that you are expecting too much from the US , there are great teams who never end up making it very far. See Holland and Spain. Finally Spain won something this year , but really to think that the US can win every competitoin it plays in , is not knowing much about how good the competition is .
    The worst part about this is that we were so close, to going through.
    I think we are on the right track and I am always seeing improvement from our young players. And that is what proves it for me.

19. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    [​IMG]

20. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Sentimentality. It kills us.

I'd eliminate pre-WC send-off matches with fireworks. I'd mail the medal that players receive for their 100th cap. I'd stop giving the captain's armband to a guy who happens to be playing against his country of birth or his parents' country. I'd go so far as to do without black armbands and moments of silence; we have wakes and funerals for a reason. Testimonial matches would be out of the question.