NGR: How fast do we want MLS to grow?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by skydog, Apr 23, 2013.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty cool idea. I'm quite partial to number 3, especially--mostly because I'd like to see Galaxy become the U.S.'s Bayern Munich someday.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I too would love any rule that allows us to hold onto Omar while simultaneously improving the LA Galaxy. But there needs to be some balance in the issue - ideally some of the top American players will be staying here improving the MLS product and brand and entertaining US fans a la Donovan while other top US players go to the top leagues around the world where they can play against the worlds best and learn how the best teams and players in the world do things.

In the long run this will benefit US soccer including MLS because some of these players will move on in their careers to become US and MLS coaches, gm's, heads of youth development, or even future presidents of US Soccer (assuming Sunil retires in this century!) and what they've learned overseas will be a valuable asset toward improving the quality of US/MLS soccer player and teams.

And of course the US National Team coach will always want many of his players playing against the best competition possible, which won't be MLS for the foreseeable future. But of course this particular point just brings us back to club vs country, which is more of a personal preference than a universal goal of US soccer fans.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I have no problem with players wanting to go to Europe for the challenge of playing the best. I have problems with players going to Europe for a pay check and not developing either because they are not quite good enough to make the starting 11 or because they have issues with coaches or teammates. I think Buddle was an example of Europe being a mistake, He would have been far better staying at the Galaxy.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed. Worst thing possible is going to a team where you sit the bench for a long, long time. But even that sometimes works out - Guzan is the only example I can think of though.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I could ever rep this enough. Well, well said.