[NGR] Beckham in the Media.2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Crimen y Castigo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    My Grandad and my Mother-in-law (although they lived 150 miles apart) were two relatives who daily bought the Sun.

Both have passed away now, but I did wonder what their comments to me would have been.

remember behind every successful man ...is a surprized mother-in-law

my teenage dream was a legitimate reason to be on page 3

2. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would have framed it; I mean the Sun is legitimate journalism.
    And DB is a legitimate reason to be on page 3; however a better reason would be because of some of the girls they have posted on there :D

3. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...vid-Beckham-gave-lesson-react-fans-abuse.html

I wondered why LARS was able to get to DB when he had faced so much worse after his sending off in '98. But during that particular nightmare he had the support of the ManU fans, the support of Sir Alex Ferguson, the support of his team mates that he had known for years, and the support of his captain Roy Keane. They stood up for him and stuck by him. Whatever he faced, he didn't have to face it alone.

This time around he came back to the hatred of his own team's supporters, a team of players half of whom he had never even met before, a manager he barely knew, a newly released book about his epic 'failure' filled with digs from team mates he considered friends about what went on in the locker room, and public statements from his captain criticizing his integrity, ability, professionalism, and basically making damn sure that anyone who blamed Beckham felt 100% validated about giving him shit unlimited at the first opportunity.

Whether it was true or not, he probably thought no one had his back this time around. After thinking about it for 5 minutes I'm not that surprised anymore that LARS was able to get a reaction out of him.

4. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In addition to everything you listed there there are 4 more important things that are in Beckham's life that may have changed his reaction that weren't there at that time.

[​IMG]

Knowing that his kids were seeing things that were being posted on signs, and hearing things that were being said may have had a huge impact on him, pushing him in the opposite direction that Graham Poll was trying to guide him 10+ years ago. I know that I personally can shrug off a lot of crap said about me, but when attacks bring my family into it...:mad:

I don't know Beckham, and this is all purely speculative but I think it is a pretty valid argument as to why LARS were able to get under his skin. I know that LARS "management" explicitly mandated that his family be left out of it but there were lots of fans who didn't have any such restrictions on them. I remember seeing a picture of one fan with a shirt with a large arrow pointing to his crotch saying, "Victoria was here". Maybe LARS just ended up bearing the brunt of his reaction.

Just my $0.02 worth.

5. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with almost everything in your post, but I think that the "Posh wuz here" shirt was worn by a KC fan at the KC game.

I am inclined to take the LARS at their word that no one brought up his family during the AC Milan verbal abuse. All of them have been adamant on that point. But no matter what they were saying to him, none of us know what DB thought he heard that day. He has listened to a lot of pretty rotten things over the years.

I think the fact that his kids are old enough to be upset by it really sent him over the edge. Maybe not the best example he should have set for them, but for whatever reason he felt like standing up for himself in that moment.

6. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now that you mention it I think you are right, that is where I saw that shirt. There was however similar drivel at the HDC.:(

Having kids that age can really change a person's motivation. As a recent example I would submit Steven Cohen. He quit his show and then started a new show. When asked WTF?!?! He explained that the tipping point for him had been when his 8 year old step-daughter asked him why he was giving up. (I know many will want to debate the veracity of anything Cohen says but lets just go with it for the purpose of making the point here):)

7. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
  8. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    I do have to give props to Becks for the CHOC fundraiser. Taking time out to be with kids that are sick in my book planned or not is a class act. The kids at CHOC are there because they are severely ill (I know first hand, my bro spent the first 3 1/2 years of his life there) and probably are dealing with things that nobody should ever have to deal with.

So ... Props to you Becks for meeting the kids at CHOC.

9. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D:D:D Am I the only one who thinks Beckham looks ridiculous taking the hip-hop look that far? At least he's repping LA though, can't knock him too much.

10. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    ORANGE, CA - SEPTEMBER 15: David Beckham and Shakira attend The 4th Annual Radio Lollipop Anniversary Live Broadcast And Fundraiser at the CHOC Children's Hospital on September 15, 2009 in Orange, California.

http://www.kiisfm.com/pages/choc09/index3.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You think Ryan and David exchanged hair product tips?

12. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Nah, Ryan copied that from David.

13. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Hockey is a sport for white men.

Basketball is a sport for black men.

Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps

http://www.quotegarden.com/golf.html

14. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Pity about his form against Dallas, but nonetheless, propers where they're due.

15. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Awwww..he really does long for a daughter, doesn't he? (I think the 3rd pic there is a little girl in his arms, right?) Hope to see him with his own soon.

16. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  17. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    According to the Mail

[​IMG]

But he tried to put all that behind him as he took to the Coyote Hills course in LA with his best friend Dave Gardner.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1213621/He-wouldnt-away-Royal--Ancient-Casually-dressed-David-Beckham-loses-temper-golf-course.html#ixzz0RITlvfMg

18. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is not strictly about Beckham, but when I saw these stories today

Boaz Myhill: Supporters right to boo struggling Hull City

"Hull City goalkeeper Boaz Myhill had no complaint with the boos raining down from the stands as Phil Brown's side fell to their fourth defeat in six games at the weekend."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=678251&sec=england&cc=5901

Gary Cahill fires warning to Bolton's boo boys

"Gary Cahill has warned angry Bolton Wanderers fans that their repeated booing is affecting some senior players on the pitch."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=678373&sec=england&cc=5901

I was reminded of all the posts following the AC Milan friendly like this one:

"i spend every saturday in the stretford end

Ronaldo did a hell of a lot worse, hes begging to move to real madrid for 2 years, and we all knew he was leaving at the end of this season.

he also had the famouse rooney incident in the world cup against england

and give you a million pounds if you can ever find a single game where united fans booed him.

never happened coz we dont boo anyone in the shirt

thats what proper fans do. we just slagged him down when he wasnt playing
    "

19. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    so you need some precedents to justify your booing? didn't know you are quite sensitive. :D

20. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p

it was getting quite tedious reading the posts from one after another EPL/La Liga/Serie A, etc. supporter telling us how they never boo their own players in their leagues. made sense to revisit this in light of today's news.

and, in closing: :p

21. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    MLS chief says Beckham discussing second Milan loan

LONDON -- David Beckham is in talks with the Galaxy about going to AC Milan on another loan and then returning to Los Angeles afterward.
    "That deal I think hasn't been fully finalized yet, but I know he is interested in going to Milan and he's in conversation with the L.A. Galaxy about doing a loan again and discussing coming back," Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber told The Associated Press. "But those discussions are ongoing and haven't really been concluded yet. David has been an important part of the history of Major League Soccer and we'd love to have him continue his commitment to the league."
    The 34-year-old midfielder must join a European club on loan in January to be considered for England coach Fabio Capello's squad for June's World Cup.
    "We hope that the Galaxy and David can reach some agreement that makes sense for David, the Galaxy and Major League Soccer," Garber said, speaking by phone from New York on Friday.
    Beckham impressed at Milan during his stint there in the first half of 2009, but received a hostile reception from Galaxy fans when he returned to Los Angeles with the MLS season well under way.
    A low point came when Beckham received a $1,000 fine from Garber for confronting a group called the L.A. Riot Squad during an exhibition match in July against the Milan team he had just left.
    Beckham joined the Galaxy from Real Madrid in 2007 on a five-year contract, but could curtail that deal early after the World Cup to avoid a repeat of such hostility.
    "I think David was a bit surprised that the fans reacted," Garber said. "In many ways that shows the growing sophistication of the market here, that it is not just about bringing over star players, it's about bringing star players who join their teammates and have a deep commitment to their club."
    "That process is evolving from where we were years ago where we would bring players in and they were really just marketing vehicles to help grow our exposure. Today it's great to have players who have great marketing power, but fans want them to be committed."
    Garber said there has been no progress over Beckham's plans to buy into a franchise at the end of his career.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=682445&cc=5901

22. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I was surprised too! No wonder he seems so happy that F. Perez has returned to Madrid now. Seems David revealed a lot more "secret" that never been told before in this interview. Congratulations to the reporter for making David comfortable enough to finally let it out.

24. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HI i'm Tom. When Beckham went out on loan to Milan, the first time (if he goes again), why did so many people make such a fuss when he went back to LA Galaxy?

I live in England so i just heard some stuff about it on the news. Well it was quite big on when he had the argument with the La fan. Any way, i don't get why so many people made a fuss. He went out on loan to help his fitness and his England international career. He wanted to play for LA which is why he went back there, if not he would have left.

25. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the basic problem is that the loan was misrepresented to the fans. Both Beckham and team management told fans that Beckham would be back for the beginning of our season, which starts in April. And then, after he left and after many people bought season tickets, Beckham announced he was staying to the end of ACM's season because he was having such a great experience.

Good for him, but cr@p for our team. Now we were without a key player for the first three to four months of the season, and this late change of plans left the team high and dry with no opportunity to make roster moves to compensate for his absence.

All this came after Beckham and his handlers has run a publicity blitz about how "committed" he was to Galaxy and the improvement of American soccer.

Many fans felt that we had been "had," that our club was being "used," and Beckham was a hypocrite.

I am trying not to get too deep into this and report it as objectively as I can to answer your question. Needless to say, there are some raw feelings and some are slower to forgive than others. And I will tell you that those feelings were not made any easier by a troop of "Beckham can do no wrong" fans who descended on our boards telling us how grateful we ought to be that DB even deigned to wear our shirt sometimes. It was a mess.