NFR -- R.I.P. Koko

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Chris M., Jun 3, 2009.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Damn.

Not Fire related but DEFINITELY Chicago related.

http://www.kokotaylor.com/

You're rippin' my heart out girl.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxCa16-nxtM"]YouTube - Koko Taylor ft. Little Walter - Wang Dang Doodle[/ame]

2. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Mr. E" and I were lucky enough to have seen her in the summer of 2007 with Lonnie Brooks at the Morton Arboretum. Fantastic show, fantastic night. Loved her version of "Wang Dang Doodle."

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaven just got one helluva singer!

I was fortunate enough to see her a few times and wow did she ever put on a show. I'm a blues fan and this really hurts.

4. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

"Koko Taylor's life and music brought joy to millions of people all around the world and Chicago is especially honored that she called our city her home for more than 50 years. The strength of her style was formed in the night clubs of Chicago's South Side and she carried that spirit with her wherever she went. She was an ambassador for our city and truly was the queen of a kind of music that makes people think of Chicago whenever they hear it." -- Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

------

"The passion that she brought and the fire and the growl in her voice when she sang was the truth. The music will live on, but it's much better because of Koko. It's a huge loss." -- Ronnie Baker Brooks, blues singer and musician.

------

"Koko had to be twice as tough as the men to get along. She ruled her band with an iron hand. She was absolutely determined to make it. She just was determined this was her life. This was her job and she was going to do it no matter what." -- Bruce Iglauer, owner, Alligator Records.

------

"Her voice represented the spirit of Chicago, proud, loud and full of life. There is no doubt she was the queen of the blues and her legacy will live on through her music. Her family and friends remain in my thoughts and prayers and we remain indebted to her for her contributions to America's rich music history." -- U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Chicago.

------

"She was sexy, raw, real and classy all at the same time. She always tried to make people understand where this music came from and what this music meant to American culture." -- Janice Monti, a sociologist who studies blues music at Dominican University in River Forest, Ill.

------

"She was an extremely talented woman who sang with all of her soul. When she sang every note came from her toes to the top of her head. She felt it." -- Shemekia Copeland, Chicago blues singer and Taylor protege.

------

"All of my sisters in the blues who do this, we have to be mindful that Koko set a high bar. It's not going to be easy to achieve or attain. We have to keep the standards high as far as the women are concerned." -- Sharon Lewis, Chicago blues singer.

------

"She'll be remembered as the most powerful female blues singer in the history of the blues. It really doesn't get much better live than Koko Taylor singing 'Wang Dang Doodle."' -- Jay Sieleman, executive director of The Blues Foundation.

5. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    R.I.P Koko...'nothing less nothing more'... blues legend

6. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    I was fortunate to see her at last year's Chicago Blues Fest. A friend and I were talking about her health then and she wasn't looking very good. We were impressed that she was able to finish the set and she belted out a good one.

Those of us whom saw her perform live were truly blessed to have seen a Hell of singer.

Definitely will miss her. A True Chicago Legend.

A+,
    Fonsos

7. CapouvCurva

CapouvCurva New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    She was one of the reasons I started going to Blues Fest year after year. The other didn't hurt either, but I fell in love with her voice when I listened with my dad.

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    When I was in high school Koko Taylor helped out my girlfriend who was throwing up in the bathroom of Biddy Mulligans during the set break.

9. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    DAMN!!!

You're OLD

Biddy Mulligans???

Way back in the day

;O)

Fonsos

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Never carded, and even if they did, they took fake ids.

11. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Old School Koko:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkyklIiHdlQ"]YouTube - Koko Taylor ft. Little Walter- Wang Dang Doodle AUDIO FIXED![/ame]

How A Queen Rules:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62322RC1xyE"]YouTube - Koko Taylor - Ernestine (Live)[/ame]