NFR: New Playoff Format That The Fire Will Not Be a Part Of!

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Chris M., Dec 17, 2018.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    goldclover repped this.
  2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds of making the playoffs actually increased from .545 (6 out of 11) to .583 (7 out of 12). So technically we can make the playoffs and not play a single home game. Yeah I know take this shit to the 2019 optimism thread.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Sorry, I should have marked the thread “NFR.”

4. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like the change. And odds will go down over time as league expands. This is more like USA sports. Now if only these teams can stop being stupid FC's and Uniteds.

Jiggly_333 and bunge repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Technically the chances are better, but the fire were 14pts put of 7th place, so...

firefan2001 repped this.
  7. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Well it's about time. The 2 leg set up was always really dumb.

Chris M., bunge and moleman repped this.
  8. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Don’t hold your breathe. They tried that already. All new teams follow that convention. I’m surprised they haven’t rebranded here.

With that said I don’t expect to see the Chicago Fire in the playoffs in the next decade, and it won’t be because they’re now called “Chicago United FC.”

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I don't expect us making the playoffs, we'll be lucky to have a full roster

10. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #CUFC

11. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  12. der sting

der sting Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But Nelson says the Fire are a destination of choice for world class players, surely with the world class training facilities, coaching and the academy pipeline it is merely a matter of 7 or 8 years to achieve another playoff berth

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the one and out system. The first game of a home and away is like the first half of a 180 minute game. Anything that shortens the playoff schedule is good.

14. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Much better , more meaning in regular season and adds more hunt down the stretch.
    League still lacking schedule balance , hopefully someday regular season East-west games disappear and regular season is all in conference .

Chris M. repped this.
  15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If that happens how is Andy going to make up for the LA teams and Seattle not bringing their stars to Bridgeview?

bunge repped this.
  16. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Seattle has stars? They've never had a *household name player. Any road support they get is wanna be hipsters or over paid Seattle techies who can fly to road games.

I'll give you LA and it's consistent big names , but it would be interesting to see an East vs west attendance breakdown at Bridgeview .
    It seems to me the lowest games are for the SLCs , Colorado's , Dallas and Houston .
    I could be absolutely wrong, it's just my mental perception. But I wonder if any LA boost is shit from the above mentioned.

17. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    LA attendance isn’t all about the stars, don’t forget the Herbalifers with their free or heavily discounted tickets that get to sit in decent seats.

chiladd repped this.
  18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    just the opposite, IMO.

Regular season becomes less meaningful as they try to trick fans of shitty teams into tuning in in September. End result will be increased frequency of SS winners losing to .500 teams who sandbagged the 1st half of the season, signed a player or two in the midseason window, and got hot for a month. Just like the shitty NBA regular season, a mostly unwatchable morass of 1230 games, many including whole teams not even pretending to care, all endured to eliminate less than half the league from the playoffs.

Single elimination just ensures luck will have a larger influence on outcomes.

I recognize this is just the way it is in the big business of sport, but it's always made me sad that US fans have been taught to value the results of small sample size variance more than consistent excellence, and I can't celebrate MLS following suit.

xtomx and lncolnpk repped this.
  19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I love The World Cup.

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The new format is much more like the NFL then the NBA. You are never going to have an American professional league that is decided totally on league play with no playoffs/championship game. I do feel like the SS has taken on greater importance as the years progress, but there will be playoffs and MLS Cup. I don't think a 2 leg series does anything to help your concerns. The first games just flat out suck with both teams focused on nothing more than meaningless possession in an effort to prevent any goals. So, most series come down to one game, and then the better team can be at a big disadvantage with the away goals rule. I'm open to suggestions, but it seems like the NFL has it about as right as you can make it, and certainly the American public has bought into that format.

goldclover and chiladd repped this.
  21. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well...this is definitely much better because the international break always killed the finish of the season. I have previously thought the league needed to have the final on Thanksgiving day or the day after (Friday) and make it a tradition. Whatever it now is has to be better...

22. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now NFL will drown the MLS final. I wonder what happens if the host team has a conflict with the NFL over the stadium.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You "wonder"?

There is no wondering, NFL game goes on as scheduled.
    MLS Cup gets reschedule to the following Tuesday night at 8:00 p.m. EST., where it will be soundly beaten by all of "This Is Us," "NCIS:somewheresville," and WWE Smackdown or whatever "sports entertainment" programming from WWE is on Tuesday nights.

Simple!

24. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before or after the UK North Carolina Basket ball game?

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Q: They play basketball in the United Kingdom?
    A: Yes, just not very well.

They do play "Net ball" which is like basketball, but with 7 players on a side, no dribbling and no backboard.
    Stupid, stupid game.