NFR: Help raise money for FWFK

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Sep 2, 2006.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Hey everyone,

The Fireworks for Kids Foundation is doing a "Golf Marathon" pledge drive and I'm trying to get volunteers to help raise pledges in the name of Section 8. I know, pledge drives suck and are annoying, but if we can get 50-100 of us to chip in it's going to be really simple to raise the money for the event.

The goal is $5,000. If 50 people step up, then we'll each only need to raise $100. That's (and here's a good showcase for my math skills) only 5 $20 donations per person. Piece o' cake.

Please feel free to post questions and things. And don't forget: if you don't help you're being cruel to the children.

2. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    THE EVENT:

The event, is called the 2006 FireWorks For Kids Foundation Golf Marathon Challenge for Charity.

The 2006 FireWorks for Kids Foundation Golf Marathon Challenge for Charity is a pledged-based, fundraising event. It is scheduled to happen at the Ruffled Feathers Golf Club in Lemont, Illinois on October 3, 2006. Tee off is scheduled for 7:30 a.m.

The object for the participants is to complete 100 holes of golf from sun up to sun down.

In the weeks leading up to the event, participants are expected to raise a minimum of $2,500 in pledges. Pledges above and beyond $2,500 will make participants eligible for prizes.

Our goal is to assemble no more than 36 golfers who all are golfing throughout the day for charity. Each player will have their own golf cart. Players are encouraged to golf all 100 holes.

The Golfers Commitment:

Each golfer will be asked to do three things:

1. Commit to raising a minimum of $2,500 in pledges

2. Commit to posting a refundable entry fee of $100 (refundable to the golfer upon successfully raising a minimum of $2,500 in pledges.)

3. Commit to golf 100 holes on the day of the event…. rain or shine.

When golfers turn in their commitment cards with their $100 refundable fee, they will receive a FWFK polo or other type of apparel pullover. Green fees, cart, golf balls, tees, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks are all provided to the golfers throughout the day. Golfers who receive pledges above certain levels will receive prizes. Golfers sponsor themselves (post the $100.00 refundable fee) because it shows their commitment to participate. This commitment is influential in convincing others to be sponsors.

Common Event Questions

Is playing 100 holes of golf possible?
    In a word….Yes. It will take about eight hours to complete the marathon. Some holes you are allowed to tee off two or three balls at a time, thus finishing two or three holes at a time.

Do I have to be a good golfer?
    No, but most participants in these types of events have golfed before and enjoy the game.

Where does the money I raise really go?
    Funds you raise through your efforts will be directed to the FireWorks For Kids Foundation, the charitable arm of the Chicago Fire Major League Soccer Team. The FireWorks For Kids Foundation board of directors will award the net funds from this event in the form of grants and contributions to organizations whose programs provide recreational and educational programs for disadvantaged children throughout Chicagoland. Participants in the marathon are given the opportunity (on their pledge form) to indicate a favorite charity which they would like the board of the FireWorks For Kids Foundation to consider when awarding grants and contributions for funding, however, all pledges (all pledge checks) must initially be made payable to FireWorks For Kids Foundation.

Most of the event expenses will be underwritten through sponsorship, in-kind donations, and/or through a small portion of your pledge dollars.

What exactly happens on the day of the marathon?
    Golfers will meet at 7:00 a.m. at Ruffled Feathers Golf Club in Lemont, Illinois for registration, breakfast, and last minute instructions. At 7:30a.m. the marathon will begin with a shotgun start. Delays may occur if there is frost. You will be paired up with no more than one other golfer for tee off. Each golfer will be provided their own golf cart for the day. Once you arrive to your assigned hole, listen for the shot gun and begin playing. If you have been paired off with another golfer, both golfers may tee off at the same time. You may hit your shots and putts at the same time. The goal is to safely play as many holes as you can in the shortest amount of time. Some golfers will play faster than others, and we encourage those people to play through. Most golfers provide their own “caddies”. “Caddies” are highly recommended. Your “caddy” will drive your golf cart, receive free meals, snacks, and drinks on the day of the event. Suggestions for caddies are spouses and children. Remember, only people 18 years of age or older may drive the golf cart. Another thing….. your caddy is encouraged to raise additional pledge dollars.

How am I going to raise $2,500 in pledges?
    It may sound difficult, but in similar events, several golfers raised more than the minimum pledge amount! It really isn't that difficult. Think about it: $2,500 is 25 people pledging $1 a hole, 50 people pledging 50 cents a hole, or 100 people pledging 25 cents per hole. Pledges can be from friends, family, church, work, etc. This is a great start for gathering pledges. The best way to encourage support is face to face or by phone.

Suggestion: Prior to beginning to solicit sponsors, familiarize yourself with the mission and activities of the FireWorks For Kids Foundation which is to support charitable organizations whose programs provide and forward educational and recreational programs for disadvantaged children throughout Chicagoland. The FireWorks For Kids Foundation is the charitable arm of the Chicago Fire Major League Soccer team. The Foundation raises funds through fund raising events like the golf marathon and then uses the proceeds from these events to provide financial support to other charitable organizations whose missions are synergistic with the mission of the FireWorks For Kids Foundation

If you are intending that your pledge dollars to be considered for support for a different charity other than the Fireworks For Kids Foundation, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the mission and activities of the charity of your choice.

Suggestion: When someone agrees to sponsor you, make sure the pledge form is completely filled in. Please make sure your sponsor has included (legibly) their mailing address so we can send them a tax-deductible receipt for their donation. Also make sure they have signed the pledge form so there are no misunderstandings later. Obviously this can only be done with sponsors face to face.

If you find it easier for you to secure your sponsorships through fax or mail, feel free to send them a blank copy of the master pledge mailer form and ask them to complete one section. Have your sponsors return the master pledge form to you so you can track your total pledges by transferring all the information onto your master pledge form

What if people just want to give a one-time pledge?
    Wonderful! Record the pledge in the “flat pledge” space of your master pledge form. Remember that your goal is to raise a total minimum pledge of $2,500. Every pledge counts, and every little bit helps you get to your goal!

Do I have to wait to collect my pledges until after the event?
    NO. We recommend you collect as many pledges as you can in advance of the event…..just remember to record any pledges paid in advance appropriately on your master pledge sheet by indicating “paid” next to the pledge.

Do I have to collect the pledges after the event?
    Well Maybe! After the event the FireWorks For Kids Foundation will invoice your pledge sponsors or call them to secure the credit card pledges. If we have difficulty in connecting with your sponsors we will ask for your assistance. Prizes you are eligible for because of your pledge amounts will be delivered upon receipt of all your pledge amounts. Pledges received after November 4th will not count towards prize amounts.

Is there any other way that people can support the Golf Marathon?
    YES!! There are many different areas of the event that can be underwritten by any sponsor….golf cart sponsorship, meal sponsor, prize sponsor ….and so on. Be sure to share this information with potential sponsors and direct them to call the event offices of the FireWorks For Kids Foundation at 708-496-6728 or 708-496-6740. Remember, if you refer someone to underwrite a marathon expense, that sponsorship amount will be credited to your pledge total.

What if it rains?
    We will still play! There may be a delay due to frost or even snow, but unless there is lightning or a big snowstorm, we will play!

How do I keep up on all that is happening?
    We will keep you up to date in one of two ways: if you have e-mail, we will e-mail you weekly on the status of the Marathon with updates. If you do not have a computer, we will mail you weekly updates. We will work hard to keep you informed of all that is going on. Also, if you have any questions, you can call the FireWorks For Kids Foundation offices at 708-496-6728 or 708-496-6740.

Getting Started

1. Simply complete the commitment card below and return it to the FireWorks For Kids Foundation office along with your fully refundable check for $100.00. Send your commitment card and hold check to: FireWorks For Kids Foundation, c/o of Chicago Fire Soccer , 7000 S. Harlem Ave. Bridgeview, Illinois 60455.

2. Then begin your fund raising efforts making sure to record all information on your master pledge sheet.
    HINT: Make 10 copies of the Master Pledge Sheet (attached to this e-mail) prior to recording your pledges.

3. Watch for e-mails from the FireWorks For Kids Foundation for updates on the event.

3. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    And if by some strange chance you want to be the golfer, let me know.

Last but not least: many hands makes light work.

4. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Hey folks, stop on over to the Section 8 boards as Peter Wilt has chimed in with an offer. The boards can be found here:

www.section8chicago.com/forums/

In the section.8.chicago board there's a thread titled:

"Lots (20? 50?) of volunteers needed to help the FWFK"

5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Hey Barn Burners, I'm looking for Steve, if he's still in charge this year. I can't find your email and I don't know what name you're posting under if you still post here.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get you Barn Burners involved since there are so damn many of you. We may all be older and fatter, but that doesn't mean we hate kids, does it?

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    2 more people can still take Peter up on his offer...3 people (myself included) have said that they are in so far.

7. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just took up the 4th slot. 1 more to go.

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Peter's last "matching" slot is gone, but he (and I) would like to see more support. Please stop on by and get involved.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    The third annual FireWorks for Kids Foundation Golf Marathon Challenge for Charity will take place on Oct. 3, 2006 at the Ruffled Feathers Golf Club in Lemont, Illinois. The Golf Marathon is a pledged-based, fundraising event. Participants in the Golf Marathon are given the opportunity on their pledge form to indicate a favorite charity that they would like the board of the FireWorks For Kids Foundation to consider when awarding grants and contributions for funding. The object for the participants is to complete 100 holes of golf from sun up to sun down. Green fees, cart, golf balls, tees, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks were all provided to the golfers throughout the day. Organizations that participated last year included Chicago Scores and the Chicago Fire Juniors, as well as golfers for the FireWorks for Kids Foundation. Everyone who participated last year completed the 100 holes and had a lot of fun while helping to raise over $25,000. For more information please contact Donald Ortale at 708 496-6728 or 708-496-6740

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/pdf/chf/2006/golf_marathon_info.pdf

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/pdf/chf/2006/golf_marathon_pledge_sheet.pdf