News: NFL's return to Los Angeles and & how it imapcts MLS .

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sounders would have done well even if the Sonics hadn't left. Sure, it helped, but, it wasn't the difference maker.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #27 falvo, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    I have a question: Not really related but why can't Mark Davis sue the NFL like his dad did and move the team to LA anyway? I remember his dad won in court and the judge permitted the team to move. From what I recall, owner Al Davis also won a lawsuit against the league and was awarded $130 million which was quite a lot of money in the 80's.

As far as St Louis MLS is concerned, are thee any potential owners interested in putting a team there?

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    In reality no.....on BS owners are not even an issue.:)

4. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That happened not just in Seattle with the NBA - -

MLB's Expos left Montreal in 2004, and the Impact was named as an MLS expansion franchise in 2010.

The NHL's Thrashers left Atlanta in 2011 and now the new MLS team will start up in 2017.

So the NFL's Rams leave St. Louis in 2016... MLS to STL in the next 5-10 years?

flippin269 repped this.
  5. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Sounds like what Minnesota Thunder/Stars/United FC have gone through. IMO, it's a bad idea to have 5k supporters cheering in a 65k dome stadium. Thumbs down.

6. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Sac came out of no where to push themselves into the MLS conversation. Don't get so defensive you'll get your franchise.

Moreover, Beckham has been in expansion conversations with MLS before Sacramento was even discussed. I have heard MLS has wanted to be in the Twin Cities since when Seattle joined the league. Both markets have been supporting soccer since the old NASL days. In fact the Twin Cities at one time had one of the top three best attendance franchises in the NASL.

Zoidberg repped this.
  7. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm looking at that ugly dome...and thinking it could be a killer MLS stadium.

Peel the center of the roof off (judging from the constrcution pictures it lends little to no structural support) and redo the interior with maybe 25k seats at a much steeper rake and then wrap around suites above them.

I have zero idea of the cost, but it would be very cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10-15 years ago Rochester was Sacramento. Things change. The people who run MLS are far from stupid, their concerns about the Republic are probably well founded on their financial state.

9. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Nice astute observation.

In a perfect world would MLS rather be in San Francisco or Sacramento?

Bubba1971 repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm dubious about San Diego and St. Louis. Yes, they've each lost NFL teams, but in both markets, the behemoth sports are going to be baseball, and the seasons overlap. It's a risk...an MLS team in either city is going to miss out on the "let's do something this weekend" types, because those folks will have a choice between MLB and MLS practically the entire MLS season.
    Ironic, considering he made the same mistake in his own post.

States are political entities. They are not economic entities.

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    They were also involved in the greatest NASL series of all time with the Cosmos.

Poor Tino Litteri.

I was at that one. Right behind the shootout goal. I am in several of the shootout highlights. What a night.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    TBF....Sac has big money and the city behind them. Rochester was a sham bid from day one.

The Franchise and flippin269 repped this.
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how easy this would be to arrange, but if there were teams in St. Louis and San Diego, they could try to arrange the schedules so that the MLS teams would be home when the Cardinals and Padres were away as much as possible. Not that there would be a lot of cross-over but for casuals looking for something to do on a Saturday night, it could be a good way to at least make things more favorable. Also, I know the Cards draw very well. I don't know if they sell out, but at least up until a few years ago, the Red Sox, were a very difficult ticket to get. Not that it helped the Revs in any way, but some folks might be inclined to "give that soccer team a try" if they can't get Cardinals tickets.

14. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just impressed by how often MLS is coming into the conversation, whether anything comes of it or not. The threads on Reddit about the move always brought up MLS and whether they might move in. It really shows how far MLS has come and how much their stature has grown. They may not officially be the "fifth major sport" yet, but they're damned close.

------RM

flange, flippin269 and Sounders78 repped this.
  15. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Tino's kid is now a second line forward for the Minnesota Golden Gophers his father in law is Lou Nanne a Minnesota hockey icon. Did Tino have his parrot with him behind the net?

16. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Sporting KC does well in a small MLB and NFL market. St Louis and (possibly) San Diego won't have an NFL team for the local MLS club compete with, so it would really be MLS vs MLB for consumer dollars--plus the two sports appeal to completely different target audiences.

Oh, I'm sure they would have done well regardless. Just pointing out the timing of the maneuver.

flange repped this.
  17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Nope. Well, not that I rememeber. He was talking to his hand towel however.

Every Cosmos shootout miss he got more and more animated....praising the soccer net with hamds held high.

Then Carlos stepped up and we know what happened.

That night was the only night an NASL game seemed electric to me. It was tense, exciting amd the crowd was on it's feet during the whole second mini game. Great stuff, but alas, it was just a fad.

4four4 repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but the Chiefs are the big dog in KC, not the Royals. (Historically speaking...right now, I dunno.)

19. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    The real question is would the roof still amplify sound?

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Wow....shockingly, this actually, dare I say it, feels played out.:(

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis has other things to worry about than the NFL.

1. Do they have a deep pocketed owner?
    2. Do that have a stadium with a real financial plan
    3. Do they have a strong supporters group to build excitement, and buy lots of tickets and merch?

tallguy and The Franchise repped this.
  22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Facts!? We don't need no stinkin facts.

23. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like what was done to the city of St. Louis by the Rams and NFL.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Bubba1971 repped this.
  25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. Facts, schmacts.

Zoidberg repped this.