NFL week 9 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by soccernutter, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    DAMN that ball had to hit the ground! Or it would have been another fug up by Glenn. I'm having a freaking blast laughing at your expense, Teresa. GO pull another hamstring.

2. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Giants now have the same amount of road wins at the Medowlands as they have home wins 1.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those finals? Crap... if so, lost four of those five.

My tipping's going straight to the crapper this week, methinks. :mad:

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Yeah, those are finals. One more for ya

Giants 31
    Jets 28

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won that one, thank goodness. :)

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got no love for Steve Spurrier or Redskin fan, but damn, I feel for Patrick Ramsey. Tough kid, man.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    to sum up the RAMS' afternoon... it was just one of those days

8. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They looked like the same old rams ;)

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Steelers are done. 2 wins, 6 losses? No way are they making the playoffs.

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither are the Raiders. With the same record, I think. :(

Can't believe we lost to the @#$%&* Lions today...

And my tipping... only 6/12 so far, and I'm not feeling very good about Minnesota, while I'm watching this game. And I've got New England tomorrow night.

Watch for me, folks-- I'm the one wearing a barrel around my waist...

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see that block thrown by Brett Favre that took out two Vikings at the end of the third quarter? Wow...

Brett Favre is tough, broken thumb and all.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6/13, after the Vikings lost just now.

Where's my tailor? I need to be fitted for that damned barrel, again...

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

RAIDERS SUCK!!!

:)

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we got what we deserved, Ben.

Not replacing the aging players, not prepared to cultivate more depth at key positions... all that and more, all means that 2-6 is just about fair right now.

Tough, but fair.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20031029madden1029p1.asp

Good column from last week by ESPN Radio guy (and occasional bigsoccer poster) Mark Madden.

On one of his TV commentaries, he stated that, if you're a Stiller fan, it's time to start hoping for them to lose out in order to get better draft picks. No one around here is ready to go that far, but it's been obvious from about day 4 of training camp that the offensive line is inadequate.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    You got what you deserved because you're Raiders. Perioud. :)

Ok, on a more serious note. The writing has been on the wall for a couple years now that this was going to happen to Oakland. Their roster was aging and it seemed the only position they got any youth at was corner back. Then, after last season and the devestating Super Bowl loss they were approximately $50 Million over the salary cap. It was decision time with two choices. 1) Cut the losses, plan for the future knowing there would be a couple bad years of growing pains or 2) Hold on to the hope that the aging team had one more run left in them essentially adding a year or two to the downfall in the hopes of one title. I think option #2 is perfectly fine if you actually do it, but the staff had to see that this team was finished. The Raiders biggest problem now is that its "rebuild" time, but they wasted a year keeping around the old players. This could have been year one of rebuilding, instead its turned into year zero, a waste of a season.
    It couldn't have happened to a more deserving organization if you ask me. :D

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    GO GREEN BAY! All those people saying "Favre is past it" is the offseason had their laughs the first 2 or 3 weeks (and there were plenty of you), but look at how he's been doing since

Week 3 @ Arizona - 88.6 QB rating
    Week 4 @ Chicago - 108.3 QB rating
    Week 5 vs Seattle - 122.9 QB rating
    Week 6 vs Kansas - 98.4 QB rating
    Week 7 @ St. Louis - 104.7 QB rating
    Week 9 @ Minnesota - 105.4 QB rating

*Week 8 was a bye-week for the Pack
    **He's even getting the job done tremendously in domes & on turf, now - and he hasn't fumbled once all season!

It's still very doubtful that the Pack will take the North, but at least they can have their 11th straight winning season (Favre has never had a losing season)... Minnesotas remaining games are Detroit, San Diego, Oakland, Chicago & Arizona -- all of which they should win -- as well as St. Louis, Seattle & Kansas City - which could all go either way... I'd guess they'll have a 12-4 or 13-3 season

Green Bay's remaining teams who they should beat are Chicago, Detroit, San Diego, Oakland and perhaps Philly & San Fran... Denver and Tampa Bay are our only very challenging matches remaining, so I'd imagine Green Bay to go somewhere between 9-7 and 12-4 (if the defense picks up)

the Lions (2-6, thus far) & Bears (3-5, thus far) are done, and don't have enough to come back for a good 3 years, imho.

One last thing... Kansas City going 16-0 isn't all too difficult to imagine this season - sure, they'll probably slip up somewhere along the way, but right now they are refreshed coming off a bye week and their next opponents are Cleveland, Cincy, Oakland and San Diego, which are all good as definite victories, which would bring them to 12-0... then it gets difficult... they travel to Denver (although they have dropped form & picked up injuries), then host Detoit (easy win), then travel to Minnesota (Sky had BETTER show this match, it could be the best of the season) and then a nice easy win at home vs the Bears.

What has everybody's favourite match of the season been so far? Mine would have to be either the Packers-Chiefs match, even if Green Bay lost... or else the Colts-Dolphins from last night, that was brilliant. I just wish we got MNF here, so I could have seen the Colts-Bucs game, oh well.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    So Favre has to break 105 to get a win?

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Such is our D this year... and ahman Greens hands (shakes fist in anger)

20. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    How about my Colts?

I was at the game. People in South Florida are nice in general.............but the few bad apples sure shut the f*** up after the win.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    It was great to see a supposedly "lesser" team using a backup QB and missing their best DE win big. Ouch. Five sacks. NINE YARDS rushing for the Rams. After totally giving away the earlier meeting this year in St. Louis, that was pretty cool.

That said, I think the gist of yesterday's game is that neither SF nor STL will be walking off with the Super Bowl trophy this year.

22. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Freeney was the man wasn't he. Saved the game for sure after Peyton passed to Mr. Invisible.

A very encouraging win even if we lost concentration at several key moments. Lets hope we've charged the Dolphins up enough to beat the Titans next week and hand us the division.

As we are now I think anything less than 11-5 would be a disapointment. Dare we dream of the teens? 13-3 is a distinct possibility if we get a win from either Titans, Pats or Broncos and don't slip up anywhere else.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ummm... reality check dude:

bulger IS our backup QB

harris (who had all of eight carries) is our 3rd RB

the RAMS also were without the best DE in football (little), our best LB (polley) and our best DB (archuleta)

SF got two insanely bad calls in their favor (the opening TD overturn nonsense & the fumble at their 10 cancelled by a bogus offsides flag)

you are correct about our blocking though, it was miserable and hey i give credit to the 9ers - they were clearly fired up for this one and deserved to beat our asses... none of which changes the fact that the 9ers almost certainly will watch the playoffs on TV or that a healthy RAMS team is a serious threat to win it all

24. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

Freeney just abused that rookie tackle all day long. He forced two fumbles and almost had 4 sacks.

We will probably go 13-3 or 12-4. The Titans will be tough to beat on the road and Peyton Manning has trouble against Bill Belichek defenses.

Still a long season.

One more thing on Freeney. That last play where he caused a fumble, he was on another level. I don't know how it looked like on T.V., but he got there so fast during the live action.

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I got a bone or two to pick with you

1. Bulger is no longer your backup QB... he is your recognised starter (& rightfully so).

2. Little, the best DE in football? Go home. Strahan, Rice, Kearse, Jason Taylor are just some of the names that spring to mind as unquestionably better players.

3. The Rams aren't going to the Bowl, and definitely without homefield (they're horrendous on the road), which I sincerely doubt they'll get.