NFL Week 6 [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by soccernutter, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    [size=2]
    [b]Sunday[/b]
    1:00 p.m. ET Chiefs at Packers  
    1:00 p.m. ET Panthers at Colts 
    1:00 p.m. ET Eagles at Cowboys  
    1:00 p.m. ET Giants at Patriots  
    1:00 p.m. ET Bears at Saints 
    1:00 p.m. ET Raiders at Browns 
    1:00 p.m. ET Buccaneers at Redskins 
    1:00 p.m. ET Dolphins at Jaguars 
    1:00 p.m. ET Texans at Titans  
    4:15 p.m. ET Ravens at Cardinals  
    4:15 p.m. ET Bills at Jets 
    4:15 p.m. ET Steelers at Broncos 

[b]Sunday Night[/b]
    8:30 p.m. ET 49ers at Seahawks 

[b]Monday Night[/b]
    9:00 p.m. ET Falcons at Rams 
    [/size]

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Chiefs fall for the first time in Green Bay by a FG, 30-27. Pack look like they're on the way back, especially Favre. Plus it's in Lambeau.

2 unbeatens meet in Indy. Only one leaves unbeaten. It won't be the visiting Panthers. They haven't seen an offense that can do anything near what Indy can do with Manning, who has more than Marvin at WR. E James or no E James the Colts win by 13.

Eagles at Cowboys: even with the Parcells mojo, the Cowboys ain't a contender yet. Philly won't be intimidated, and shows everything and wins by 10.

Bears at Saints, at least there'll be points. The Haslett Death Watch continues with a close Bears win.

Giants at Pats, the prelim on Sunday if you know what I mean. Pats win by 6, though Jeremy Shockey should be able to catch 8-9 going mostly over the middle.

Raiders at Browns: Two teams I don't know what to make of. Raiders since they lost last week, Cleveland won, and parity is king. Besides, the Browns have sucked ass at home thus far.

Bucs at Redskins: Short week to recover and forget about MNF. Trash talking going on already, but that works to the Bucs' advantage. Getting on the road works wonders, 23-13.

Dolphins at Jags: why do I see an upset here? Because I'm a Pats fan who hates the Fish like no other? Nah, won't happen, 24-7.

Texans at Titans: Tennessee recovers from last week's loss and pounds Houston.

Ravens win in Arizona. I respect Emmit Smith tremdously, but at this stage of their careers, Marcel Shipp is probably a better RB.

Bills at Jets: here's the upset of the week. Herman Edwards won't let 'em quit, and coming off the bye, the Jets come out flying and get their first win at home.

Broncos, Plummer or no Plummer, beat the staggering Steelers at home.

Seahawks win at home over 49ers, and T.O. throws a tantrum on the sideline and gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Seahawks get more O and win 31-20.

Falcons at Rams, projected as wild shootout, pretty much a yawner. Rams win since they're at home.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Tampa Bay over Washington
    This will be a very close game. Tampa again will be out to prove themselves after a devestating (and controversial) loss last week to Indy. Washington needs a win to keep pace in their division. With Ramsey slightly injured, it could come down to Washingtons WR and RB making big plays. Arrington and Sapp are going at it in the media, and it'll be fun to see how that plays out on the field.

Indy over Carolina
    Time for the Panthers to play a real offense. This could get ugly. The Panthers MUST control the tempo of this game with Davis running the ball, or Manning and Harrison will take over with their passing game. I'm predicting a blow out, cause I don't think Carolina is as good as their record shows.

New England over NY Giants
    New England won a game last week that no one expected. The Giants lost a game with a very poor offensive outing. NE is banged up with up to 9 of their 22 opening day starters missing. The Giants looked potent on offense going into last week, but fell off.

Tennessee over Houston
    The replacement franchise visits the old franchise. Even with a beat up secondary, the Titans take this game pretty easily. What better time for Eddie George to have a breakout game? He sure needs it.

Green Bay over Kansas City
    Game of the week if you ask me. Dante Hall continues to amaze, even when each week the opposing special teams coach swears to kick away from him. He cant keep it up forever, so the KC offense has to snap out of it. Holmes should have a good day against a weak Packers run defense. Favre is the deciding factor, putting together a late drive for the win because KC can't continue to save themselves on defense late in the game.

Cleveland over Oakland
    Cleveland hasn't won at home, Oakland hasn't won on the road. Something's gotta change. Couch has a real chance of winning his starting spot back this week. Oakland, no matter what their players say, looks down right OLD. They've been figured out and are going to sputter to a below .500 season. Cleveland wins this game, but it could get high scoring.

Dallas over Philly
    The NFC East is going to go to the wire this year. No one of the four teams stands out. Philly almost blew it at home to Washington. Dallas on the other than has won 3 in a row and Carter is playing smart. All Parcells is asking for is smart football and he's getting it. This team could make the playoffs if they keep it up, only adding to The Tuna's legend.

Miami over Jacksonville
    Miami's defense was impressive against the Giants last week. Leftwhich will have a rough time in his first game as the "official" starter. (Mark Brunell is too good a player to get screw like he has by that organization) Williams will run all over the place and Fiedler will do even more to make Fins fans call for Greise. Miami squeeks one out.

New Orleans over Chicago
    Yawn....sheesh, what a boring matchup on paper. Sad thing is that this will probably turn out to be one of the more exciting finishes. These teams stink and the game will go to the wire. Arron Brooks and his WRs are better than Stewart and his WRs. Both defenses are terrible.

Denver over Pittsburgh
    Jake the Snake may not play due to shoulder problems, but Beurline is a capable fill in. Portis is back on track with huge numbers last week. Maddox keeps making stupid mistakes and costing the Steelers games. Their secondary is suspect and will be picked apart by three talented Denver receivers.

Buffalo over NY Jets
    Buffalo has Travis Henry. The Jets have NO run defense. End of story. Bledsoe needs to only keep the ball moving by convertin 3rd downs and this game is over. Vinny is having a hard time passing, which won't be helped by going against one of the best secondaries in the league.

Baltimore over Arizona
    I'd like to pick the Cards, but I just dont think they'll be able to score enough to win. They also won't be able to stop Jamal Lewis. I'd call back Buddy Ryan with his 46 defense if I were the Cards and play with a 3 man secondary. Make Boller beat you, which I'm not sure he can.

Seattle over San Fran
    Seattle had a minor set back last week, but they're still a good team. The 49ers will have a real tough time moving the ball. Owens may just be blowing up again after this game, poor little baby. Seattle needs to win this one to stay one game ahead of the....

Rams over Atlanta
    Bulger is the permanent #1 in St. Louis now. Atlanta is reeling without Vick in at QB. They are the worst defense in the NFL (by yardage) and the #28 defense in points allowed. That doesnt look good when they're going against the Rams who can score some points. Lamar Gordon should have a big day.

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiefs 32 - 35 [OT] Packers. Dante Hall doesn't run it all the way back. But creates great field pos for the final game tying drive.

Colts 21 -14 Panthers.

Philly 13 - 10 Parcells' Boys.

Bears 17 - 7 Saints

Giants 24 - 21 Pats.

Raiders 35 - 21 Browns

Redskins 20 -19 Bucs.

Dolphins 23 - 24 Jags (Leftwich magic)

Titans 30 - 14 Texans

Ravens 35 - 7 Arizona

Bill 17 - Jets 20 (Last second Field goal)

Steelers 20 - 21 Broncos.

49ers 31- 21 Seahawkls

Falcons 14-21 Rams

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, the guy is becoming a magnet for freakish injuries.

From the foot of the linked article...

In June 2002, Hanson, his wife and former Jaguars kicker Jaret Holmes were severely burned while they were making fondue at Hanson's house, and the fondue pot overturned.

Hanson didn't miss any playing time, however, because the accident happened in the offseason.

Did a black cat cross this guy's path, or something? :eek:

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to just pick some winners here... no scores...

Sunday
    1:00 p.m. ET Chiefs at Packers -- Chiefs
    1:00 p.m. ET Panthers at Colts -- Colts
    1:00 p.m. ET Eagles at Cowboys -- Cowboys
    1:00 p.m. ET Giants at Patriots -- Patriots
    1:00 p.m. ET Bears at Saints -- Saints
    1:00 p.m. ET Raiders at Browns -- Browns
    1:00 p.m. ET Buccaneers at Redskins -- Bucs
    1:00 p.m. ET Dolphins at Jaguars -- Dolphins
    1:00 p.m. ET Texans at Titans -- Titans
    4:15 p.m. ET Ravens at Cardinals -- Ravens
    4:15 p.m. ET Bills at Jets -- Bills
    4:15 p.m. ET Steelers at Broncos -- Broncos

Sunday Night
    8:30 p.m. ET 49ers at Seahawks -- Seahawks

Monday Night
    9:00 p.m. ET Falcons at Rams -- Rams

It pains me to go against Oakland, picking the Browns over the Raiders, but as a Raider fan, let me say this... We got beat by Kordell #@$%&* Stewart last week. We are in a bad way right now. :(

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Green Bay 31 - Kansas City 28

It'll end Favre with a touchdown pass to Driver iwth 17 seconds on the clock, and Dante Hall getting stuffed on the return:D

If Green Bay do win this, who knows where this train could end?

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    It's 31-28 now, but KC has scored the last two TDs, the last on a long INT return, and have it in FG range. IND-TB redux?

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    horrible call in the oakland/cleveland game there at the end.

jerry rice catches the ball on the sideline and replay doesn't over-rule the call on the field, which was that he was out of bounds when he caught it. very interesting. his knee def. hit the ground in the field of play.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Haha. Green Bay sucks.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Pack were simply transcendent in the first quarter, and great in the 3rd. In the 2nd they were poor, and in the 4th... horrible. They were sloppy against the run in overtime, but blocked the Fg, only to give the ball back in a single play. Ugh.

13. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well another Ahman Green fumble absolutely killed the Pack today. They made a huge play in overtime to block a 48 yard game winning field goal, and Green coughs it up on the first play and gives it to the Chiefs at about the 45 yard line.

Even when Dante Hall doesn't touch the ball, he still makes a huge impact in the game. People are just scared of this guy, and rightfully so. The first two kickoffs went out of bounds to start drives for the chiefs at the 40. Earlier this week he said "there's no way a kicker will ever stop me," well Bidwell did on his first punt return of the day. If Bidwell doesn't stop him, Hall is gone, for the 5th straight week! And we found out that kicking out of bounds is actually the best way to handle this guy becausue if it wasn't for the defense collapsing in the 4th, the Pack would have won this game no problem.

While it wasn't an Indy type comeback, down 31-14 starting the 4th AT LAMBEAU is huge!

I best a friend a month ago $20 that the Chiefs would finish with at least 13 wins, and 6 games into the season, that is looking like a damn god bet considering we just aced the toughest part of our schedule. I'm not even going to start 16-0 talk because we'll have to play @Minnesota in the 16th week of the season and I don't see us winning that game. But aside from 16-0, I really think this team can finish at worst 13-3 and feasibly 15-1, most likely 14-2 though.

San Diego - Win
    Pittsburgh - Win
    houston - Win
    Baltimore - Win
    Denver - Win
    GREEN Bay - Win

Oakland (2-4)
    Buffalo (3-2)
    BYE WEEK
    Cleveland (3-3)
    @Cincinnati (1-4)
    Oakland (2-4)
    @San Diego (0-5)
    Denver (4-1)
    Detroit (1-4)
    @Minnesota (5-0)
    Chicago (1-4)

I'll say it now, the Chiefs will go 8-0 at home which isn't that much of a suprise, and the three home games I see that we will have trouble with is

@San Diego... I know they are winless, but there have been some really bad San Diego teams that have beat some good Chiefs teams, somehow they always find ways to do it.

Denver... We barely beat them at Arrowhead with an injured Portis, I don't see how we win this one.

@Minnesota... While the odds of this happening is really unlikely, picture two 15-0 teams going into week 16 and having to play each other. This game would virtually gaurantee the winner a 16-0 season (Chiefs play Chicago at Arrowhead last game and Minnesota plays the Cardinals) and the loser would be robbed of a likely 16-0 season. Considering Minnesota has Randy Moss, I'll give the win to them.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: What business does Carolina have at being at 5-0? And at Indianapolis' expense, too? :eek:

The Panthers are definitely this season's surprise package.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw it on "Primetime", and I think we've got a bone to pick with the zebras. Replay got it wrong.

Still, I feel really, really, really, really fortunate to have survived after tipping against my team. The risk paid off, though. :)

16. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Historically winning in Green Bay for visitors is not that rare. It is only hard between 95-98 and 2002.

Minnesota is definitely not gonna be 15-0 going into week 16. They have no depth. Their backup players are pretty bad. They will struggle when the injury bug hits. Besides, they play Denver next week.

KC is for real. They can move the ball dispite not having a running game.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I don't know about you, but Priest Holmes had a great OT IMHO. He carried it nine times in a row, and got KC into FG range.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The Stillers are screwed. If they make it to the playoffs after starting the season 2 and 4, it'll be a miracle.

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Their saving grace is that they play in a weak division. They pretty much have to win their division now because it looks like a wildcard spot is out of the question. They're only 1.5 games out of first in the division and they hold the tiebreaker against the Ravens. Steelers are definitely underachieving. Played pretty well today but couldn't capitalize on turnovers. Their O-Line sucks right now.

20. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    They are in the AFC North though. Only one team over .500, and they've got a Rookie QB and an offense that scored ZERO touchdowns vs. Arizona (punt block and INT were the two today). I wouldn't give up yet.

Only got to see a bit of the Pats game today at an Old Chicago. Even if they won, I'm glad I didn't see it all. A 3 1/2 hour bore, I'll take comfort knowing they won.

21. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Until today, since 1995, the only teams to win by more than 3 points in Green Bay during the regular season were the Vikings ('98, '03) and the Seahawks ('99).

The only season they weren't good at home was in '99.

Home records
    2002 - 8-0
    2001 - 7-1
    2000 - 6-2
    1999 - 5-3
    1998 - 7-1

While it might not be rare in terms of them going 8-0 every season, it is still the toughest one or two places to play most every season.

22. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    The Panthers are for real guys.

Road wins over the Bucs and the Colts.

They were 5-0 in preseason as well.

Next game at Ericsson vs Tennesse. If they win that, I'm calling 13-3.

Other thought...

McNabb IS overrated. No, not because he's black, just because he just isnt very good...Eagles are crap this season

23. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness for Seattle defence. Causing that timely fumble from Hearst in the last two minutes saved my bacon in that game.

All things considered, and I have to go back and look at who I tipped again, but I think I got 11 winners on the day. :)

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Panthers are an NFL rarity...a team that can effectively run the ball even when the other team knows they're gonna run. This isn't college ball; this just doesn't happen in the NFL, except on rare occasion (the Steelers a few years back, for example.)

The Panthers haven't quite convinced me yet, but they are probably the most difficult team to beat in the league. Not the best, but the hardest to beat. By that I mean, you have to go out and do the work to beat them. They're consistent. I don't see them being capable of raising their game and beating a good team playing a great game, or a great team playing a good game. But they are so determined to run the ball, they'll wear out any defense. 169 yards rushing just in the second half!!!

As a fan, I'm very, very nervous about Delhomme. He throws off the back foot into traffic a couple of times every game. He's not an accurate thrower. At some point, teams are gonna say, screw it, we're putting 9 in the box when they play with 2 wideouts, 10 when they play with 1. We're gonna triple dog dare Delhomme to beat us. I don't know if he can.