NFL Week 1

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lucid, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah yes... it's back baby!

So let's get on with it....

49'ers at Giants - Didn't get much of a chance to watch the Thursday night opener cause I was at work, but I work at a bar so I did get to watch it off and on. But that's a great idea to have one game to open the season in a big city, and throw a big party. Good job Tagliabue! But from the looks of it, minus the final 6 seconds, what a boring game. In retrospect, the opener should have been.......

Chiefs at Browns - Holy crap! I don't think I've ever seen a more exciting regular season game the last few years with the exception of the Dolphins/Jets monday night game with that montrous comeback by the Jets a few years back. There was 10 lead changes in this game I believe and one of the quirkiest endings I'd ever seen. If you didn't get a chance to see this game, catch the highlights later on tonight. Neither team had any defense at all, but the offense shown by both teams, especially Priest Holmes and Quincy Carter was really impressive. It looked pretty gloomy for the Chiefs in the 2nd half after a decent 1st half, but they hung in there and scored 23 points in the 4th qtr. vs. the Browns 12.

I would go ahead and describe the whole quarter for you, but it would take too long, and you can just go read a recap. It was truely amazing to witness being a Chiefs fan myself. So many screw ups accumulated at the end of the game for the Browns that they literally, had the game won with zero time left on the clock, but a personal foul on the play as time ran out gave the the Chiefs a chip in 30 yard field goal when the play started on our own 40 yard line.

It was a shame one team had to lose that game, but being a Chiefs fan, I'm not complaining, and the Browns did it to themselves and can't blame anyone else.

San Diego vs. Cincy: The Chargers decision to pick up Brees and Tomlinson vs. picking Vick is paying off a lot quicker than we thought it would. 34-6! Very impressive, and Tomlinson looks like he's gonna be very dominant in years to come.

Atlanta vs. Green Bay: I really wish I could have seen this cause Vick had one hell of a game. I'd suggest anyone that has any offensive players from the Falcons on your fantasy team, dump them, cause Vick is the entire offense. He'd lead the team in recieving if he could throw to himself. But it wasn't enough as the Falcons lost in OT 37-34.

Miami vs. Detroit: Uh oh folks... watch out, Miami could cause some damage this year and finally make it to the Superbowl. Ricky had a great game garnering 110 yards and two TD's, and Fiedler was 18-27 with 3 TD's. People in Miami are now saying... "Marino who?" And Detroit, once again, you suck.

Washington vs. Arizona: Ok, I'd like to meet the man who said before this game, "Ya know, I got a good feeling about Shane Matthews being the QB. I'd say he'll throw for 300+ yards, 3 TD's, and no picks. Maybe this will be the year Jake Plummer finally gets good. Some over-hyped first round picks it takes 6+ years to finally come around. :rolleyes:

Tampa Bay vs. New Orleans: Wow... talk about a desire to win. It's in OT right now, but I don't think there's much doubt the Bucs don't win this game. I take that back, Bucs just had to punt it away, but they still hold the momentum. I'm so glad Gruden is out of the AFC West cause I hate the Raiders, and he made them too good for my taste. And even though my Chiefs have Vermiel, and the Broncos have Shanahan, and the Chargers have Marty, Gruden would be the best coach in this division right now had he stayed.

St. Louis vs. Denver: Ha ha ha ha... I love watching the Rams lose, and I love watching them suck complete ass. Martz wasn't the genuis behind the Rams, he sucks and is a mediocre coach with too much talent and he's gonna drive this franchise into the ground and I'll be laughing the entire way. One F'ing TD by the "Best show on turf" Hah... that's laughable.

Most impressive performances of the week?
    - Move over Faulk, Priest Holmes is the best back in the NFL, and has been for over a season. The Chiefs didn't utilize him right until the 4th qtr. and that's when he exploded and scored 3 TD's. Last year people called him Baby Faulk, this year I think Marshall gets to be called baby Holmes. They are the exact same type of runner, and Holmes is out-running the competition (pardon the really bad pun.)

Most suprising performances of the week?
    - Shane Matthews' 3 TD 300+ yard game nobody saw coming. People thought he'd embarass himself out there.
    - Kelly Holcomb's performance against the Chiefs' D was quite impressive, although it was the Chiefs' D and most of the WR'ers were wide open all day. But still, you can't ignore 326 yards and 3 TD's with no picks.
    - Travis Henry with 150 yards and 3 TD's blew everyone's mind as well.

I'm getting pretty excited about seeing the Cowboys/Texans matchup tonight and I hope Dallas gets killed.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Travis Henry was huge today, in real football and for one of my fantasy teams.

The ending to NO-TB was straight out of bizarroland, though there wasn't much Tupa could have done. If he doesn't get rid of it, safety, game over. If he throws an incomplete pass, Saints ball inside the five. Game over unless Tampa can block a FG.

Chiefs-Browns highlights on Primetime Right now.

Suggestion: How about we have a thread for each individual week like this? We can leave my thread for general NFL discussion or just let it slide down.

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    How are the playoffs going to work this year with four divisions in each conference?

4. Pepper

Pepper New Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Southeast Missouri
    They'll win the Super Bowl despite him.

Crazy talk.

5. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that NO-TB ending was pretty crazy. This first week has been very, very exciting so far, I hope the rest of the season is like this.

And I totally agree in having this thread every week, I was hoping it would catch on and I think it will.

Division winners seeded 1-4, then the best two non-winners get wild cards and are seeded 5&6.

Meaning... Winning your division is the only gaurantee to get into the playoffs. Before you could tell yourself that just as long as you win 11 games you are in, and sometimes even with 10 wins. Not anymore, there could easily be two teams in the same division with 12 or more wins. I really like the way it is set up now, the divisions are small, and the games are really, really important.

Yeah, they really looked like a Super Bowl team today. :rolleyes:

6. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    All of the games were pretty amazing today (baltimore-carolina excepted). You had the following:

Chicago scoring 14 in the 4th quarter to win 27-23 at their new (temporary) home at U of I.

KC beats cleveland in a ridiculous ending (dwayne rudd, tool of the week award winner) 40-39.

Jets play relatively poorly but return 2 kick offs for a touchdown to win a very exciting game that was back and forth all game long, 37-31 in OT.

Drew Brees throws for 2 TDs as the Chargers roll over the Bungles (ahem) 34-6.

Tennessee scores 14 fourth quarter points (17 unanswered in the second half) to come back and beat the Eagles 27-23.

Packers come from 21-10 down to win 37-34 in OT.

Redskins win 31-23 at home.

Miami blows out the Lions 49-21.

Indianapolis scores a TD in each quarter to in 28-25.

Oakland beats former division rival Seattle 31-17.

New Orleans spoils Gruden's opener by winning 26-20 in TB.

Denver shocks STL at home 23-16.

And, at the moment, the Texans are winning 7-0 at home over the Cowboys.

So, other than the carolina game, just about every game was high scoring (10 teams scored 30 or more points) and a lot of those games were close, with 2 going into OT and others coming down to the last play.

Awesome week 1.

7. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I totally agree.

8. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What a crazy week.

Watched the STL-DEN game. I'm happy every time Mike Martz out-coaches himself.

Afterwards, FOX cut in with the NO-TB game. TB sends the game into OT with a FG. In OT, since both offenses didn't seem to want to win, leave it to the Saints' defense to win it with a safety. Yikes!

I agree. Let's have a weekly thread.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    If only Jermaine Lewis could have held on to that ball before halftime, Houston would be rolling. Damn, Dallas will probably win now.

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Nice catch by Bradford! I would really like to see Houston win this game. I don't hate them yet. Good stadium, colors, logo, and nickname. Doesn't hurt their cause that they are playing the hated Cowboys.

At least the Packers won today. Michael Vick looks scary. Atlanta could be a good team this year.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    TEXANS!!!!!!!!

I didn't think they'd do it, but they pulled it off! Great for them, great for Houston!

12. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did anyone else feel like they were watching a college game tonight? I mean the atmosphere there was just incredible (kinda helps that it's got a roof), it seemed like the average age of the fans was 25, they were standing what seemed like the entire game, and the players are for the most part, all really young themselves and very energetic, and then the fact that no one gave the Texans any chance to win, and how often is a game over before it starts in the NFL? Never. Reminded me of a Div. 1-AA team beating the likes of Nebraska or Oklahoma or something.

I saw one of the most beautiful passes I have ever seen in that game, the dropped Carr pass that he rocketed about 40 yards. I saw one of the most beautiful catches I have ever seen, Bradford's. And I also saw one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen, the Cowboys making fools of themselves on Primetime.

I don't think I'd ever laughed so hard from SportsCenter when Stuart Scott and Dan Patrick led the show off talking about past Superbowl champions blowing openers or something and then....
    [Camera to Scott with Cowboys/Texans logos on monitor behind him]

"Speaking of blown openers"

pause, with a smirk on his face...

Oh man it was classic if you hate the Cowboys as I do!

I've always been a big Carr guy, and the rest of the Texans are a lot like him so as of now, I think I'll be rooting for them. Though I don't know how long I'll actually be able to support a team from Texas, let alone one called the "Texans".

Anyways... Great opening weekend. Parity has reached a whole new level in sports and it's great, it's exciting and fresh and will seperate the NFL even further than it already is from the American professional sports landscape.

Go Texans, Go Chiefs, and Go Dolphins. Today was a good day for my teams.

13. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And how about these....

- Totally slipped past me until I saw it on Berman's top 10 plays of the week. His #1 pick, deservedly so was... Robert freaking Edwards! Yeah, the phenom rookie who's career "was" over, rushed for two, TWO, TD's today! I was always a fan of his, and I love the 'Phins, so that freakin rocks! Great story there, something to replace the downer of the Terrel Davis saga.

- Two of the best hits I've seen QB's give happened today...
    1) Oakland vs. Seattle - Shawn Springs recovers a fumble deep in Seahawks territory. Runs 71 yards before being tackled by Gannon. It wasn't just a normal tackle that forced him OB though, Gannon grabbed the 200 pounder by the back of the jersey and flung him out. It was great!
    2) But and even better one happened here... Buffalo vs. Jets - I can't recall the play exactly, but Bledsoe made a nice blocking tackle for the runner and absolutely laid out a Jets player! He nevr saw it coming.

- Out of six inter-conference games, the "inferior" AFC won 5 of them.

- The AFC West, which even I believed was going to be a pretty bad division (and it still can, though I'm doubting that now) went 4-0. The AFC North, with a Pittsburgh loss tommorow, will go 0-4.

- If you are having trouble remembering which teams are in each division, I don't blame you, I can't get it straight either. Though these make a lot more sense geographically so it shouldn't take too long to get it straight.

- Also... I hate the Broncos, I hate the Rams, Broncos fans hate Brian Griese, so naturally I started rooting for Griese when Shanahan threatened to pull him because....
    a) it would mean a Rams loss
    b) it would mean Broncos fans feel stupid
    So that performance from him late in the 2nd half made me pretty happy.

- We saw the start of three great careers in this league by Carr, Vick, and Brees. They all played great, especially Vick. He would have had two more TD's but two wide open recievers had to drop easy touchdown passes. I love that kid.

So how'd everyone's fantasy teams do? I had Culpepper, Vick, and picked up Shane Matthews (I started Dante), and all had huge days, so I'm lookin to do some trading. I struggled with the decision to either draft A. Green or P. Holmes with the #2 pick in my draft... guess which one I picked? Yeah, the one who didn't rush for 4 TD's today. But Green had a good day yardage-wise, though I still don't know how he had 200 yards, and the Pack had 37 points, and he didn't score once? Oh well I blew out my opponent 93-61 so I'm happy.

Today was great, I don't know how many times I have to say that, but it really was. I love this league. :D

14. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh, and last thing... was Suzy Kolber crying when she was interviewing Carr right after the game? That's pathetic.

I have absolutely no problem with eye-candy such as Bonnie Bernstien or Mellisa Stark doing reporting, and I have no problem with non-eye candy Linda Cohn or that chick that does play by play on NCAA football games for ESPN. Women in sports journalism is totally cool with me, I actually did a paper in my journalism class in defense of women in sports media. But c'mon, seriously, I do not need to see some chick crying while trying to interview a QB after a game.

I don't know that she was for sure, but her voice sure sounded like it, she looked like it with her facial expressions, and she appeared to be on an emotional high in her reporting throughout the game.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It sure was good to see him out there. Doctors were afraid he wouldn't even be able to walk without support.

16. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hell, there was even talks that his leg might need to be amputated! Jesus... how tragic would that be?!?!? Kinda interesting, I haven't seen any rookie beach football games lately. :rolleyes:

I hope this guy goes on to be a productive back again, he deserves it.

Definately read this from Len Pasquarelli, Faith, hard work pay off for Edwards. Truely a great story.

The key part...

[snip]

More than three years after he opened up the damaged left knee of Robert Edwards in an operating room at the Straub Clinic and Hospital in Honolulu, surgeon Dean Soto can still remember his initial concerns.

"It looked," said Dr. Soto a few weeks ago, "like someone just threw a hand grenade in there. It was a devastating injury. At that point, I was much more concerned with saving his leg than his football career. We figured, 'Well, he might be able to walk with a cane someday.' That was the upside."

[/snip]

And this guy just ran 4 rushes for 20 yards and a TD? :eek:

17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rams and Cowboys two teams I hated the most lost on week 1.....

18. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    I started Matthews for my fantasy team over Plummer, Stewart and Testaverde. I knew he was going to come up big today.

Unfortunately, Terrell Bleeping Owens didn't do squat for me on Thursday.

19. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    Life in Chambana!

Well the Bears got off to a good start today,even though I would like for them to lock up a game before the 4th quarter before I have a heart attack.Marty Booker had a huge day 8 receptions for 198 yards,best performance in week 1 amongst recievers.So much for the Randy Ratio!!!Anyways Jim Miller also threw 297 yds. and didn't get injured which is also a plus.Nice int. by Mike Brown too,until that play Daunte Culpepper was having a pretty good game.

By the way did anyone else think Dwayne Rudd totally blew the game for the Cleveland Browns yesterday with his helmet throwing antics.Pretty stupid guy,next time celebrate after the play is over and keep your helmet on.And who would have thought Shane Freaking Matthews would have only his 2nd 300 yd. passing game so soon?Did anyone see Danny Wuerffel kicking,that was pretty funny.

20. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he might not keep these numbers up, but if Vick matches his yardage totals from Sunday every week, he will end up with about 3200 yards passing and 1120 yards rushing. And, of course, 32 dropped TD passes. :) If he did that, he would be a lock for MVP...

21. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Minnesota did it again. They outplayed their opponent but still find a way to lose. New coach same team.

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    F'ing Cowboys. I love the blue and silver star so much, but Quincy Carter has no business out their in the uniform. Our defense dominated, but our offense stunk up the place. Thank god for the incomplete pass at the end of the first half, or it could have really gotten ugly. Congratulations to Houston (although I despise the city and it's inhabitants) on a job well done. Carr was good.

23. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  24. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    So far so good in the Pats game, though Pittsburgh's made 4 weeks worth of mistakes already. I need Troy Brown to score two TDs now, and Plaxico Burress to do zilch so I can win in fantasy football.

25. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I'm very happy right now. This turned into an ass whooping by the Pats. I was expecting a knock down drag out nailbiter, but barring a complete collapse, they'll cruise to the win. Bring on the J E T S Just End The Seasons!