NFL season general discussion thread (R)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 26, 2002.

1. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    The end of the Browns/Chiefs game was totally bizarre. I just love that it happened to Dwayne Rudd (former Viking).

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    NFL Primetime ought to be awesome today. Highlights up the ass, even more than usual.

3. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Unbelievable set of nailbiting games this afternoon. Turn on Browns/KC, you'll find the Browns penalizing themselves out of a win. Turn on the Arizona/DC game and you see Danny Wuerfful kicking off the ball. Turn on the Jets/Buffalo game and every five seconds, Chad Morton is returning a kickoff for a TD. Great set of games.

JMac

4. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Teams wearing white at home?

How come this year there are so many teams that wear the white uniforms at home? I can count of these teams that do this:

--Miami
    --Cleveland
    --Jacksonville
    --Houston
    --Tennessee
    --San Diego (sometimes)
    --Washington
    --Philadelphia
    --Dallas
    --New Orleans
    --Tampa Bay
    --Carolina
    --Arizona

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Many teams wear white at home during the warm weather periods because some feel that the sun and heat wears down an opponent waering darker colors more quickly. You'll see lots of this during the preseason as well.

As the season goes on, teams like Tennessee and Jacksonville usually wear their darker jerseys at home. The only team I know that still wears white at home every game regardless is Dallas. Even Washington changed a couple years ago.

6. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year I am very optomistic about the prospects of the Packers. And they're never out of a chance at the Super Bowl with Favre at the helm.

That said, what is it with the Falcons in Lambeau? Last year a loss, this time an overtime victory. What the hell is going on?

7. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Speaking of the Falcons - Ray Buchanan busted for steriods. Out for four weeks I believe.

How stupid can you be - they warn you when your test is going to be.

8. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Well, for a team destined to go 8-8, the Pats are off to an awfully impressive 2-0 start with convincing wins over the Steelers and Jets.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Except for some mistakes here and there...the Raiders offense was en fuego tonight against the Steelers.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    At this point, my Steelers can make anyone look good. No win over them is convincing. But the Pats did look very impressive against a very good Jets team. They'll do way better than 8-8.

11. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Brett Farve is the most over rated piece of crap ever. Yeah he won a couple of superbowls like 50 years ago. All he's done since is throw a lot of interceptions and lead his team to disappointing records.

Brett Farve and Allen Iverson = crap hyped as quality

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Come on, now. Favre is the real thing, regardless of how this season goes. He's a throwback- one of the few QBs I could imagine playing in the 70s (Elway, McNair and Jim Kelly are others). His only flaw is trying to do too much with too little. These aren't the '96 Packers (on either side of the ball), and he's just one man with too much to do. Same with Iverson- he just doesn't have the supporting cast.

13. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I guess we all see things a different way. Iverson does not know how to play team basketball - his own teamates hate him, but that's for another topic.

Favre, didn't he lead the league in interceptions like 3 years in a row in the late 90's?

here are the current qb's I'd rather have than Favre:

1) Mcnabb
    2) Bledsoe
    3) Brady
    4) aaron Brooks (beat Favres ass didn't he?)
    5) kurt warner (statistically superior to favre)
    6) rich gannon

others who might be as good as favre:

7) griese
    8) cullpepper

others who will surpass favre soon:

9) vick
    10) joey harrington
    11) carr
    12) qb for san diego forget his name

so basically the only qb's that favre is better than is Kordell (and that's debatable), Manning, fiedler, rodney peete, maybe doug flutie, rob and brad johnson, and a bunch of no names or people I have forgotten.

14. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Brees?

15. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, will the Pats finally be favorites next week for the first time since December?

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    They had better be. I don't think anyone in the league is playing better than the Pats right now. I presume they are still at the top of ESPN's power rankings. I haven't checked them yet this week.

17. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    This just in:

The Redskins totally, completely suck donkey balls.

These routs aren't going to help MNF ratings even with Madden. Although I enjoyed last week's rout quite a bit.

18. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Marvin Lewis sucks

19. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

That was a nice, enjoyable blow-out

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

They should be, as the have a great team and a phenomenal coach. I can't wait until my Jets get their rematch later in the season when our new defense has come together. It should be a much closer game!

JMac

21. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Nice to see Spurrier biting the big one in the nation's capital. AND DON'T COME BACK!!!

Go Georgia Bulldawgs.

22. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Auriaprottu, just wondering about the 70's QB thing. Do you think the QB's in the 70's were better than now? That was a more of a rushing decade than passing (Csonka-Kiick, Harris-Blier). Either way, what is McNair doing in the discussion?

Note: Not a flame, just trying to understand your point of view.

P.S. Randall Cunningham was not a ground breaker. He was just a QB with speed. There had been many great scramblers before him (Tarkenton, Elway). I wonder, how many playoff games did Cunningham win?
    P.P.S. The post script was not for you, auriaprottu. I just get annoyed when people start talking about Randall Cunningham in a reverential manner.