NFL knows US professional rugby union could be a very good deal indeed (MLS mentions/comparisons)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SYoshonis, May 14, 2013.

1. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But when you compare that to "used to play IM soccer" plus "have family from a soccer nation," the number has to be really low. Hard to see rugby league starting out at 45,000 fans per match and fat TV contract. This "start big" talk seems like either lunacy or puffery.

SYoshonis repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever happened to that idea?

Master O and SYoshonis repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never got that bad. They usually had the token five to ten pass attempts because they could recruit pretty good athletes at QB and receiver. But the service academies still run the triple option and they'll keep it on the ground all game long.

Personally, as an alum of the university that popularized it, I like watching it, but I also understand why almost nobody runs it anymore.

4. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that Union and League seem to coexist just fine in the southern hemisphere. The more sports the better IMO.

5. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I wonder if this is part of a long term plan by the NFL to introduce a "safer" style of play that will slowly be incorporated into American football.

I've always thought football should be playable without the equipment that was originally intended to protect but has evolved into attack weaponry.

If people see how a different game with tackling can be played incremental steps in our game might seem more acceptable/reasonable?

6. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
  7. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A well run option or wishbone is a thing of beauty and is damn hard to stop.

You do however, need special types of athletes to run it successfully. Especially QB's who require a skill set that doesn't translate well to playing in the NFL.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    Like how American and Canadian gridiron does in the Americas/Northern Hemisphere. Same sport but the details do make a significant impact. Just ask Warren Moon and the like.

The first incremental step is obvious to a purist that remembers his elders speak of "how the sport used to be". That is to return to all the gridiron players playing both sides of the ball like how it was for the first 50 years of gridiron after Walter Camp really drove the break from rugby.
    As a younger man I was lucky enough to be with coaches that left me on the field and I was able to play both offense and defense and all special teams. I literally only left the field at the half and the final whistle. That was hella fun!
    Demanding a return to what is termed "ironman" gridiron will eliminate the tree trunk player that is very specialized but has minimal endurance and certainly as it is now would literally die if let's say an O-Lineman in the NFL had to play both ways. The mold of linebackers would be about as big and yet agile as the ironman version would allow. The end result is pretty much the same hitting but as in rugby, playing non-stop, the player must trade technique in the tackle over raw power to blow someone up. Simply put, gridiron defensive players don't have to "save themselves" for the other side of the ball and if they did it would imho deliver what the NFL currently is facing. That is how to not alter the sport but get the players to alter it on their own for their OWN sakes.

9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    MULTIREP

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The details didn't make a shit to Warren Moon. He owned the hell out of both leagues.

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same with Joe Theismann.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't say. Here's your armband Captain Obvious. [​IMG]
    I was going with more of how a man like Moon could break down where the wider field, extra man, deeper endzones and the like in Canuck gridiron add/takes away from what we know and enjoy in our version of gridiron.
    More so as a QB as they really must know the game.

13. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. League can't even expand beyond a narrow band of Northern cities in England, where the game was invented. It's really not that popular. The Rugby Union World Cup is the 3rd biggest international sporting event after the Olympics and FIFA World Cup and the game didn't even go professional until the early 1990s. Most people don't even know when the Rugby League World Cup is happening.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd?

Winter Olympics?
    Could F1 races be considered international events?
    Cricket is also huge, India alone gives it a lot of fans/viewers.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity... Does anyone know what the ratings on the NFL Network are outside of Thursday night Football?

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did and actually did see the ratings you found, but was more curious about their "standard" programming. I was thinking the ratings were pretty low in general, so airing a pro rugby league would probably be excellent filler for the channel. Although, I was also seeing that NFL network is in "only" 70m homes, but I think that is 2006 numbers, so who knows.

18. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CFL vs. NFL differences made some difference to Dieter Brock (CFL star to NFL bust) and Vince Ferragamo (NFL star to CFL bust).

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2012 according to this article: http://www.adweek.com/news/television/nfl-network-scares-record-ratings-146110

so 70-75m is probably pretty accurate.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've shown Arena Football and CFL in the recent past, so why not rugby?

21. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What stadiums would a rugby league want to use? MLS Stadiums! If MLS teams profit in someway it would be great. They should play from December to March in a limited schedule to begin.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    December through March? On the East Coast as stated? In outdoor MLS stadiums? So in Foxboro, New York, Philly, DC, Orlando*, and Ft. Lauderdale*? The Florida location maybe, but the rest of those December through March are going to be challenging to draw a crowd.

*MLSish.

23. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    this reads like 35% of posts at Planet Rugby

24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bigger challenge to drawing a crowd will be the fact that they are playing rugby in the US.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

blacksun repped this.