Neymar will surpass Pele?

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by greatstriker11, Mar 20, 2015.

1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dear peers

I think it is time now to start paying attention to the great potential in Neymar's future. He warrants our attention.

here are three interesting questions to be answered. It is in the spirit of this thread to discuss Neymar great potential to become the very best player in the history of Selecao.
    • Is Neymar bound to become Brazil's best goal scorer of all times?
    • considering that he is the only superstar in Selecao today, and likely to remain so for the unforeseeable future, will Neymar eventually enter the class of Pele, Garrincha, Romario, Ronaldo, Zico, Socrates and the likes in overall as a player and specifically as a forward?
    • Will he eventually become the best player in the world as soon as Messi and Cristiano get past their prime?
    • is Neymar already a great player in the history of Selecao (as of today), and if so, where do we rank him today?
    Recently Romario commented in the press that he believes that Neymar will eventually surpass Pele goal record and become Selecao best goal scorer of all times
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/internationals/2015/03/18/9943752/neymar-will-surpass-pele-romario

some points to consider when discussing Neymar's potential is the remarkable feat that at age 23 he already has 42 goals/60 caps for Brazil, and has at least 2 more WC's to play.

[​IMG]

@Guigs @celito @Rana catesbeiana @Lucas... @gilmour86 @giles varley @Pipiolo @leadleader @Sir_Artur @JamesBH11 @Edhardy @Ozora @Jggot @PDG1978 @PuckVanHeel @Dr. Know @AD78 @benficafan3 @Benfica_fan @BocaFan @SirWellingtonSilva @unclesox @comme @frasermc

2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    If he can keep up,he probably will become the number 1 goal scorer in Brazil history.
    But what we need is his performane,tittle.Scoring more goals but giving poor perfomance in the big tournaments are unneccesary. Still waiting for Copa America 2015

giles varley and greatstriker11 repped this.
  3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I see what you mean.

I think Neymar has the potential to get as close as possible to Pele in terms of both goals as titles.

Guys do not forget he is only 23 and hasn't reached his peak and prime yet.

@giles varley @Pipiolo

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Neymar at this rate will become Brazil's top scorer of all time, but to be remembered as a legend he will have to bring Brazil a major title (meaning the WC). By the way, I feel had Romario been capped more often if he was more disciplined, he would have become the all-time leading scorer for Brazil.

SaidB94, giles varley and greatstriker11 repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    • Is Neymar bound to become Brazil's best goal scorer of all times?
    Quite possibly. But I don't think he will have the same scoring rate. He will play more games than Pele' barring injuries. 100+ caps easy.
    • considering that he is the only superstar in Selecao today, and likely to remain so for the unforeseeable future, will Neymar eventually enter the class of Pele, Garrincha, Romario, Ronaldo, Zico, Socrates and the likes in overall as a player and specifically as a forward?
    That's tough to say. He will have to do something special. All of those players except Zico and Socrates won a WC. Zico and Socrates played in the much beloved Brazil of 82 not to mention they stayed most of their careers in Brazil. Zico and Socrates also are the types of players that everyone liked them regardless which team you pulled for.
    • Will he eventually become the best player in the world as soon as Messi and Cristiano get past their prime?
    That's very subjective. If you mean winning the award, tough to say. Depends on the competition and how his club career evolves post Messi at Barca or somewhere else.
    • is Neymar already a great player in the history of Selecao (as of today), and if so, where do we rank him today?
    I think it's too early to tell. Don't think he could reach a Romario or Ronaldo without winning a WC. Pele' is untouchable. Neymar would have had to already have won WC 14 to get there. Even still, I think Pele' is unreachable.

greatstriker11 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #6 JamesBH11, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    very very SLIM chance ... (since we say nothing is impossible, but the chance will be < 2%)

1- at this rate (his best = 0,7GPG) so in order to beat Pele 92goals Neymar needs to play > 130games = almost IMPOSSIBLE for an attacker

2- FACT said: in average, most attacker would have 75games +/- 10 for his NT and most defenders had an average of 90+/-15 games

3- FACT said: the more games player played the LESS goals he will get - so it means Neymar GPG will only get worse than 0.7 after his age of 25 ... and HENCE he will eventually need to play 150+ games to score 100goals (beating Pele? )

Name me any attacker ever play >120games for his NT ? especially in the TOP10 powerhouses

7. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pele' officially scored 77 goals. 92 or 95 goals are if you include Brazil games vs clubs.

giles varley, Pipiolo and greatstriker11 repped this.
  9. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Neymar would have had already won WC14 to have a shot at touching Romario and Ronaldo's status, then we must consider that Romario and Ronaldo both won their respective WC's when they were aged 28 and 26 respectively.

So i think demanding of him to have had already won a WC at age 23 is a bit unfair.

Neymar will be age 26 in WC18 (Ronaldo's age)

food for thought

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he might not emulate let alone beat them top 5 best scorers in GPG (except for Romario who's got the highest gpg) but one things is for sure, he will definitely beat Pele overall goal and caps to become top scorer of Selecao

today he has 42 goals in 60 caps. He is only 23 years old. And likely to stay Selecao main forward player for the unforeseeable future. So his chance is very ripe

11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So what do you think?

throw your 2 cents on the table mate;)

12. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    how many games against clubs??

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #13 JamesBH11, Mar 20, 2015
    yes but go to my analysis Neymar will need to play > 130+games to beat Pele's goals
    I showed at same age Pele did score more goals than Neymar already

Neymar was a bit lucky in this weak era - for his gaols LOL

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not really
    Pele won WC at 17 and 21
    Ronaldo was so close in WC98 (only if he was fit in final) at 21, then he came back to win at 25

But rule of thumb, agree with you that most players won big WC at 25,26

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I meant he would have had to have won WC14 to get to Pele'. To achieve Romario / Ronaldo he has to win a WC. Or at least in my view have an incredible WC and get somewhat close. He also has to win at least one CA. Both Ronaldo and Romario won 2 CAs each if I am not mistaken.

giles varley and Pipiolo repped this.
  16. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    iam amused james again count not offiziel games in peles record...neymar more likly will surpass peles goalrecord in offiziel NT games...however for me i count goal per game rate as well and the players goal contribution in the total goals the team has scored and the weight (how important, competive ) some goals was in this players career...

i personally never rate gerd müllers -not offiziell- goals he has scored for the german NT.....

using james argumentation and stats for pele....a gerd müller has scored in 70 games (8 inoffiziel)for the german NT 88 goals....anstood his 68 goals in 62 offiziell games for the german NT....

giles varley, Pipiolo and greatstriker11 repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #17 JamesBH11, Mar 20, 2015
    sorry no one touches Pele - he won it at 17! Pele > 2 classes above Neymar.

Neymar at WC14 was close to R9 at WC98 ... but not quite there.
    R9 was the 2nd one wining WC at 17 (on bench = thanks to Romario Bebeto)
    Yes both R9 and R11 won 1WC+ 2 copas +1 confed. They are one class above Neymar now

For now, Neymar will aim to beat Ronaldinho Kaka at best (not even Vava Rivaldo Jairzinho )

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    11 games (18 goals). Some good teams some not so much.

08/05/1960 - Brasil 7 x 1 Malmö (Suécia) [2 gols]
    12/05/1960 - Brasil 2 x 2 Internazionale (Itália) [2 gols]
    21/06/1966 - Brasil 5 x 3 Atlético Madrid (Espanha) [3 gols]
    04/07/1966 - Brasil 4 x 2 AIK (Suécia) [2 gols]
    06/07/1966 - Brasil 3 x 1 Malmö (Suécia) [2 gols]
    06/07/1969 - Brasil 4 x 0 Bahia (Brasil) [1 gol]
    13/07/1969 - Brasil 6 x 1 Seleção Pernambucana (Brasil) [1 gol]
    03/09/1969 - Brasil 1 x 2 Atlético Mineiro (Brasil) [1 gol]
    05/04/1970 - Brasil 4 x 1 Seleção Amazonense (Brasil) [1 gol]
    06/05/1970 - Brasil 3 x 0 Combinado de Guadalajara (México) [1 gol]
    17/05/1970 - Brasil 5 x 2 Combinado de León (México) [2 gols]

Sir_Artur, giles varley, Pipiolo and 2 others repped this.
  19. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    is see where you are coming from with this. But, having said that, it doesn't take his chances of beating Pele at overall goals for Selecao, dont you think.

beating Pele as the best player is of course out of question unless Neymar wins his next 2/3 WC back to back

but Romario and Ronaldo is easily withing reach as long as he wins at least one WC and performs well

but the above is more to do with beating his forebears in terms of status and reputation.

He still has a fair shot at beating them in the goal scoring department though, dont you think?

20. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree!

and Romario does agree too, cause he said this week in the press that Neymar is very likely to become NT best goal scorer by the time he retires.

remember the guy is only 23 years old and has many many NT games ahead, among others at least 2 more WC and Copa America

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    easily? like 20% at best guess - Neymar is no Romario nor R9 period

For now:
    Romario Ronaldo> Rivaldo Roanadinho > Kaka Bebeto Careca>= Neymar

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Neymar had won it at 23, then 27, and then 31 while playing all WCs and doing well, yes he would touch and surpass Pele' at NT level. It matters not that Pele' was there at 17. He'd have 3 playing WCs vs 2 of Pele'. Actually if Neymar was somehow able to win 2 WCs with shitty teammates carrying the team, he could surpass Pele' because Pele' had amazing teammates.

Obviously that won't happen. But don't be so strict with your criteria.

Pipiolo repped this.
  23. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    thanks.....thats still a excellent goal rate of pele in this games..

JamesBH11 repped this.
  24. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it will be very difficult indeed to touch Pele.

however, Neymar is still 23 years old only. He still has many NT championships to go before he retires.

at age 23 he has one WC as experience gained under his belt. He did great at WC14 showing that he can hold his own on big stage. Injury and a mediocre team cut his chance short. Not his fault. I am sure that in WC18 he will give all he's got

Romario and Ronaldo are sure in trouble. Trust me on this.

And the goal records for Brazil will be easy. He's 23 years old and already got 42 goals!

think about that

@Guigs @Pipiolo @leadleader @giles varley @gilmour86 @Jaweirdo @621380

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    same with Gerd Muller for his NT = excellent