Neymar no Sauditão! (from PSG to Al-Hilal)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Rana catesbeiana, Jul 3, 2013.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    just teasing you ...
    I do not expect Neymar to replace Messi nor I think he will fail there
    He will do alright ... since Barca are a good match for his style

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    IMO, the first match opponent is pretty meaningless - the adapting period is longer than one match, regardless of whether he adapts quickly or slowly.

What imo is important is how we gets along with the other players in training, dressing room etc - Neymar is a good player no doubt, and the more he feels he is at the right club from the beginning, the better it will go. And I'm sure he's gonna get along great.

3. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Neymar will get the 11 now

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah I think so too, now that Thiago indeed ended up leaving, thanks to Barca bosses/coach fumbling. #11 for Neymar, unless he prefers the #7.

5. Danakil

Danakil Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Scandinavia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Neymar getting his number 11 is just destiny man. Ain't nobody can do something about it unless messi gives up 10 :p

6. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Tata will help Neymar integrate into the team better?

7. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First training tomorrow

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar may get some minutes in the 2nd half of the Barca friendly going on right now.

9. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad considering he played in the last 10 minutes with a bunch of unknown B team players

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For a Barca fan, that's kinda weird understatement.

But yeah, can't really say much about Neymar in that time (although I dunno why they made him to travel to Poland anyway, should've stayed in Barcelona like the rest of the ESP/BRA internationals).

Oh well, on to the next friendly. For Neymar, it should be a bit special I guess. First time in front of the home crowd, likely first time as a starter, and against Santos.

11. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I meant unknown to Neymar. Not unknown players

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Gotcha.

13. Glass Moon

Glass Moon Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Zubizarreta confirmed that Neymar has anemia, as reported by spanish press. That would explain why he didn't start against Santos.

14. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some say it's the result of his tonsil surgery and of course his diet. It's noting to worry about. I don't think he had this problem at Santos right?

15. Glass Moon

Glass Moon Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Yeah I just read a comment by Runco, Seleção's doctor. He said it's not unusual because Neymar lost some blood as consequence of his surgery. So his hemoglobin levels will return to normal after a while.

16. Glass Moon

Glass Moon Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Brasil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Neymar's father commented:

– Foi uma baixa de ferro significativa que ele teve. Claro que ele (Neymar) me falou que estava fora do normal esse cansaço físico que estava tendo. Depois da cirurgia (retirada das amígdalas), acho que isso se agravou. Esse processo contribuiu para o Neymar chegar aqui com uma deficiência significativa –

– Isso causa uma preocupação porque o Neymar não tem gordura para perder. Ele perdeu massa muscular, o que tira força e potência do jogador que ele é. Mas está tudo bem controlado, e o clube está tomando todos os cuidados. É um processo desgastante, mas acredito que em uma ou duas semanas tudo estará normal.

He basically says Neymar got very tired after training, specially after his surgery, and lost some weight. It's reported he's at around 58 kg, as opposed to the 64,5 kg reported officially.

17. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that was water weight

18. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is starting his first game for Barcelona in 15 minutes against the Thai national team.

19. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar scored his first goal for Barca.

He scored the first goal of the game.

It's 5-0 now after 35 minutes.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's the scoreline you would expect vs Thailand.....not vs. Santos :rolleyes:

21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Neymar will have to sacrifice for messi, if he doesn't wont succeed there
    Messi even brings in his boy tata martino to back him up

22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nah. Neymar, like Messi and everyone else, will have to play for Barca, and if he does it well, things are gonna work out. There are myths about all the teams I guess, and one of the dumber myths about today's Barca is that Messi doesn't tolerate attackers if they don't cater for his personal needs.

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is pretty demanding when it comes to having Fernando Gago in the starting 11 for Argentina. Everyone acts like Messi is quiet and timid off the field but getting Tata as a barca manager and keeping Gago in the national team even with his crap form at Velez is pretty dominant behavior.

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Being quiet off-the-pitch doesn't mean one can't make his opinions about the team known in the team meetings/with coach. I suppose many players would rather prefer playing with X than with Y, and that is nothing Messi-specific. As for getting Tata to coach Barca or keeping Gago in the NT, I think you're overestimating Messi's power. He can give his opinion, but in Barca it's far from all-decisive opinion. In Argentina, I don't know that well how things work there, but would assume that's the case there as well. As for Messi's public image: of course it's only natural he and his people try to make it so that his image is good, but no one really thinks he is a saint or something in reality, and rightly so, as people are people. He has his weaknesses as a footballer, and as a private person I bet too, but that's normal.

That said, I'd say that while "Neymar can't succeed in Barca if he doesn't cater for Messi" bases on a pretty weird conception of Barca, it's true that Neymar's success in Barca isn't guaranteed. He is a great player obviously, but different teams play differently, and it remains to be seen how well it works. But what's weird to me is how some people have so strong negative opinions about it: as if a great young player joining a great team would likely be a prelude to a catastrophe. I understand if one likes Neymar and hates Barca that then the situation is a bit meh, but that's of course something else than arguing neutrally. I'm confident Neymar will do just well in Barca, and having followed Messi intimately for his whole adult footballing career, and I'd be very surprised to see any real problems between them, especially now that Villa moved to At. Madrid, which makes the competition for minutes in the LW spot a lot softer, which helps Neymar to get regular minutes easier to adapt quicker. Of course he would've gotten lots of minutes anyway, but still.

25. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    hmm so I guess if Xavi wanted a South American manager who never managed in Europe it would happen? I wasn't saying Messi can't get along with people but lets call a spade a spade he just chose your new coach. Tata is a great choice in my opinion but lets be real he wasn't even on the radar. Lets not act like players haven't had a hard time adjusting at Barca Alexis, Alex Song, Ibra, and many more. I wasn't saying Messi was a prick or anything like that but you are setting a dangerous precedent by him choosing your coach. He might as well pick the lineup why not? How am I over estimating Messi's power? There is nothing to overestimate now that he got Tata the biggest job in the world. Messi enjoys playing with gago that is why he is 1st choice on the Argentinean national team all of this is factual. I'm not worried about Neymar playing with Messi one bit I'm sure he got sick of seeing Pedro or tello out there. I don't think you have an ounce of cynicism in your bones if you think Messi hasn't been pulling these strings lol.