Next Year

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ratdog, Aug 19, 2010.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so now that we've been realistically if not strictly mathematically eliminated from the 2010 WPS Playoffs, what should we do to get ready for next year?

Frankly, we have shitload of work to do here. We need to rip this team apart and treat it like an expansion team.

My ideas so far (in no particular order):

1. Get rid of Cristiane and Markgraf.

2. Sign forwards who can score.

3. Sign a central defender.

4. Consider trading Norgueira or Rapinoe for a good CAM. Or trade Casey for a left-sided winger and move Carney into the CAM role with Rapinoe on the right wing.

5. Trade Loyden while we can.

6. Get a left-sided defender.

This would give us a starting lineup next year of:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]New Forward 1,New Forward 2,New Left Winger,Carney (CAM),Formiga(D-mid),Rapinoe,New Left Back, Engen, New Center Back,Dalmy,New Keeper[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is so much that needs to be done I have no idea what on earth we're going to do. I hope Naimo is out searching for players right now. Well what benefits us is that we do have an exceptional draft next year.. if we're in 7th place does that mean we get the first draft pick? Hmm Leroux anyone? :D

3. joanofdark

joanofdark Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Or move Rapinoe to the center. Does ANYONE else remember how and where she played in college?

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure she played on the wing. But remember she was injured for, what, half her college career?

5. joanofdark

joanofdark Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nope, she was almost always a central midfielder or forward. In fact, she ousted some of the best central mids in college (Angie Woznuk Kerr, Lisa Sari) her freshman year.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well forgive me then. Didnt you just ask where she played though..?

Anyways, I really dont want to see Rapinoe in the middle.. I mean.. that would give her even more chances to shoot from 30-40 yards out. But she would be excellent at distributing the ball.. Besides, I think Namazi would rather play a 4-3-3 next year so if we keep Formiga.. she would be our only "central" midfielder. As for up top.. Rapinoe did play quite a few games this year up top and well.. still hasnt scored.

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to note that I'd keep Ella as a supersub. I'd also keep Weber for depth.

Outside of the players in my line-up in the first post and those two, everyone else is fair game for trade/waiver.

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen, I think Carney is better at CAM but that's my opinion. YMMV. Also, I can't think of many players we could realistically sign who would be better at right wing. When Rapinoe played there for us last year, she was exciting and dynamic.

OTOH, she hasn't seemed to mesh well with the rest of the team this year so while she has undoubted quality as an individual player, maybe she'd make great trade bait to bring someone in who fulfills a more pressing need: ie., forward. Just a thought.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think CRS will be very different in 2011. For one, a different stadium (if rumors are to be trusted). If the lower cost keeps the team alive, then that move has to be made.

Yes, dropping Cristiane would be the first roster move I'd make. You have to hope she's isn't on a multi-year guaranteed contract as I'm not sure who'd take her in trade.

I don't see Markgraf going anywhere, unless she retires. It seems we disagree on how well or badly she's played. I don't think she's been horrid and I think some of the issues w/ the left back have pulled her out of position in coverage in some ways that look bad. But on a team that finishes 6th, most players will look bad at some point.

I don't think pulling Carney into the middle would help--she's a wide player who tends to run all over the place. That's where she's played for her other teams (and England). And keeping her in her "best" position helps the team more.

As for draft picks, this year's NCAA senior class is not anywhere near as deep as last year. There are a few gems (eg Leroux, Morgan, Winters) & one or two that none of us know about that may surprise. But there is (imo) no need to have more than ~4 rounds. Last year's 7 rounds was too much even for that class.

10. SBALL

SBALL Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leroux is a Jr at UCLA.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right of course. I knew that. My caffeine hasn't kicked in just yet.

And that makes my point about the draft even stronger.

12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What rumors are these. I haven't heard anything about them moving. I hope they aren't thinking about going to a college campus as that would kill them as a professional team.(certainly they couldn't afford wrigley,soldier field,or the cell).
    Agree that critiane and margraff must go. I'm sorry but management has clearly made a mistakes on player selection from the start.

13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any player signing (or coach signing) is a calculated risk. Just look at the Fire this season for proof of that. The problem is that teams often hang on to unproductive players too long or sign a player to a long term guaranteed contract and only then find out they signed a player who had their one career last year, thinks they're on vacation or whose good reputation was undeserved in the first place.

So I'm not upset that we signed Cristiane. Hindsight is 20/20 and none of us figured she'd be so unproductive. I'm upset that, despite her obvious underperformance, Namazi has kept her on the field instead of other, worthier players who deserve a shot to show us what they can do. Now that we've been all but officially eliminated, we should be starting our younger players to evaluate them for next year.

14. ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral New Member

May 27, 2005
    Chi - ca - go!
    If we're going to start gutting this team, scrap the whole lot of them. Set them all free.

I've been hard pressed to figure out the system/style/personality of this team from the get go. There is none. I can't imagine the players know either. I'd love to have a beer with them and hear them be totally honest.

During a coaching change (and why we needed to hire an outsider is a mystery), we get rid of the toughest player on the team?!? WTF? You start your rebuilding with players like those.

It seems as if the better a player has been, the more likely they are to disappoint.
    If I were to run this team, I'd post a huge sign in the locker room:
    "past performance is no guarantee of future results"

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cristiane, IMO has become worthless. She doesn't fit in with this team. Too much wasted motions with the ball and too much unneccessary flair.

As for the stadium, from what I understand, the season tickets tickets they are selling for next year are geared for Toyota Park. I think "rumors" is probably fan talk of cost-cutting assumptions if the need arises. I've said it myself, I love Toyota Park and hate astroturf, pointy-ball line fields, but if it means the Red Stars surviving then I'll go to a mid-college stadium in the suburbs instead.
    I believe they do have options in the suburbs if TP proves to be too costly.

But hopefully that won't happen and we will see the CRS back at Toyota Park next year.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I got my "rumors of a move from TP" vibes from something Jeff Kassouf wrote (which I can't find now) about teams, cost cutting, and 2011 season ticket sales starting.

17. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they get a good deal from TP as they really need tenants and aren't in a position to demand a lot of money. I don't see going to some even more obscure college suburban location is in their plans.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, I also read somewhere where the league after this season will do some restructuring that will involve all the teams to make it more cost efficient and viable in the future.
    If that is the case, it's a good sign that the league is proacting.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I am sure there is a place for her in this league. Obviously the Red Stars is not the place for her. Well, Boston sure wasnt the place for Amy Rodriquez and look at her now. The thing about Cristiane is I dont think she has the "passion" to play for us. Whenever she plays for Brazil she has this fire that has never been seen so far in WPS. Cristiane has always been one of my favorite players to watch, especially in big tournaments. Unfortunately she has had a horrible year this year. But I do think she has value because she is certainly a fantastic player when she has the right mindset. Too bad we couldnt sign Barcellos as Head Coach.. if so, I think she would have had a MUCH better year.

1 person likes this.
  20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, I disagree. The players I've mentioned as coming back next year have all proven they deserve another shot under a better coach and with no overpriced big names who steal money from us (ie., Carli Lloyd and Cristiane) weighing them down.

Putting Markgraf on that list may be a bit much since, while she certainly hasn't played as well as her hype and probably also her salary, at least she has occasionally played like she means it. Occasionally.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We just need a few better players.

Look at FCGP. Last year Montoya was the laughing stock of the league and the FCGP fans want to run him out of town.
    Sign Marta, Boxx, and Abily and he's Jose Marinho all of a sudden.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately I dont think we'll have as much luck as he did during the offseason.

But if we can get Schelin onboard.. hmmm

23. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Schelin has been seen in the OL training camp. So unless she signed a year contract I think she's probably out again as an option. So we still have a problem of who exactly we could get as a consistent scorer. I'm drawing a blank at the moment, although we could watch the situation in Atlanta and see if anyone from their is jumping ship after this season. We'll see.

24. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Oh and while I'm at it...

Also I'm wondering if Tasha Kai is that happy at SB anymore. She's had a lot of injuries this season, but she has the ability to pull one out of nowhere so I don't see why she hasn't been getting much playing time. She seems like she's been having trouble with the brass even since the old coach was replaced. So I think that would be something to check into. With Critiane's salary gone I could definitely see us affording her or even raising what SB could offer. Plus she would bring in her own supporters, so it could be a win-win. We'll see. I'm only speculating.

I also think putting too much stock in the draft is a bad idea, since I think it is largely our problem from this season. Our scorers are kids and in large part I think it takes a lot of time to adjust to this league, consistency often comes with experience and the ability to adapt. Masar hasn't become a more technical player she's adapted her skill set to be effective. I think we need a player with experience to replace Cristiane, someone who knows how to make everyone around her better and can suck in defenses. Than I think you'll see much more production out of Rapinoe and Carney.

Hopefully Boquete is finally cleared and can put the ball in at this level, that would relieve a lot of the pressure and may be a jumping off point for determining next years squad. SB last year showed you don't really need the biggest and brightest in this league to compete, getting goals out of no ones can be more effective at times. A little Masar there, a little Boquete here and the next thing you know you're getting a Carney, Rapinoe, Chapman mix because everyone is threatening. I think that is the most probable path for next season, because big name signings don't really exist anymore.

25. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have a good spine in Engen, Formiga, Chapman and Masar. Even Loyden isn't terrible although, IMO, not worth what we gave up to get her. Assuming that Boquete proves to be a starting forward, we need another one (preferably a true target forward) to keep Masar and Boquete on their toes and provide depth. We need a true CAM and we need some speed in our back line. An upgrade at keeper wouldn't hurt although it's probably not critical IF we get some scoring punch up front.

True. Also true is that HE got those players while nobody else did...