Next supporters meeting: Feb 10 or Feb 11?

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we were planning on having our next supporters group meeting on Saturday, February 11. The last time we met on a Saturday, it worked really well for us.

But, a couple of people have brought up the idea of meeting Friday, February 10 around 8ish and then hanging around afterwards to check out the US men vs Japan on ESPN2 (?) at 10:00 PM.

I think it's a great idea to meet that Friday. We can have our meeting and hang out to watch the game afterwards. The only problem I could see would be that people have to work on Fridays, so some might not make it.

So what do you think? Friday or Saturday for the meeting?

ETA: Ignore the spelling on the poll. *blushes*

2. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the location been determined? I vote for the Richmond Arms, though I admit it's less than 2 miles from me. :) Regardless, I'm in for that Friday. Saturday is poker night.

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the venue hasn't been decided yet.

4. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you add an "it doesn't matter to me" as an option? As long as it's at night on the 10th, I can do either.

As convenient as Richmond Arms is for me as well, it needs to be somewhere that can hold a good sized group. I would think that we'll have at least close to the same number as last time (25ish) and we were cramped at Richmond Arms.

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I can't change a poll once it's done. I'll just keep yours in mind.

And yes, that back room in Richmond Arms was a bit too crowded. If we still had it there, I wonder if the weather would be nice enough to where we could go outside? Or maybe in the main part of the building? I don't really care where we have it, I just like Richmond Arms' location. We need to find something else inside (or right outside) of the Loop if we are going to change locations.

6. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can do either as well, but Friday and watching the game just sounds like a lot more fun!

7. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I play indoor on Fridays, so I'd prefer Saturday. I've heard noting further Re: bars, so Johnna, you pick. Richmond Arms works for me.

8. houston'06

houston'06 Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not matter either way for me. I like the idea of staying to watch the game, though.

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.

It looks like Feb 10 is winning by a landslide.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    We should probably get the time/location set by tomorrow so we can get a mention on Glenn Davis' show.

11. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE 10thI'll be there for Friday with my USA gear on. I'll make every effort to make it this time to meet y'all.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right you'll be there biatch!!! :)

I'll even go in for a happy hour drink fest at 5 or 6 to get things lathered up for everyone that wants to stay up for the Pearl Harbor Match!

C'mon everyone...let's have a great Friday night and talk some at halftime and then after the final whistle we can drink and talk more with the U.S. vs. Nippon match in the books.

13. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we might have a dilemma.

On our first meeting, we had originally decided to have the next meeting Feb 11, on a Saturday night. I had just maybe thought that we could do the next meeting with a double pleasure of being able to watch the US/JPN match at the same time. But, I've had 4 people who were at the first meeting say they wouldn't be able to attend the meeting on a Friday night, because of previous commitments.

So here's my quandry. I know alot of people liked the meeting/watch party all at the same time. I just don't want to miss those people who were at the first meeting and who won't be able to attend if we have the next meeting on Friday night. I would hate that. especially with the next meeting being so important as we will be voting on the name, discussing the rivalry cup with Dallas, finalizing plans, and maybe electing officers.

So what do yall think? I'm down for having a watch party on Fri night and then having a meeting on Saturday night as well, if anyone would want to do that. I just want everyone to be able to participate, and especially with these people being at the original meeting where we set the meeting date for the next time.

Anyone have any suggestions? Go ahead with the meeting and watch party on Friday? Move the meeting until Saturday? Have the watch party on Fri and meet on Sat? Someone help me out here.

P.S. I think we need to have this figured out by 9 PM tomorrow so we can plug it on Glen's show. So hop to everyone!

P.P.S. Anyone got meeting place suggestions? If we don't have any other plausible options, I say we go with Richmond Arms which is tried and true and then continue to find other places to try out for later meetings. I just want to be able to announce the date/place/time by tomorrow night so it gives people a chance to spread the word and make plans.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    A watch party on Friday and meeting on Saturday is ok with me.

If we do that then people that can make it Friday but not Saturday can leave their votes for group name and officers with somebody so they'll still have a say. Of course that could make it more complicated than it's worth, just thought I'd throw it out there. It would also give us a chance to scout another place for the meeting after next.

15. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would miss Saturday night, so I really hope the meeting is on Friday, especially since so many people already voted for Friday. Maybe the people that can't make it can email you with their suggestions/ideas on those items.

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of the people that voted just didn't care one way or another and liked the idea of meeting and watching the game.

I guess I'm asking what you are telling me. How many people couldn't make it on Saturday vs how many couldn't make it on Saturday. I know we'll never be able to have everyone at all functions, but we did schedule it a month ago for Saturday.

I just should have never brought up the whole meeting on Friday night thing. I'll feel bad leaving anyone out, regardless of if it's on a Fri or a Sat.

17. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can make both, but would prefer 1 or the other. Had to be difficult, I know. So what I am telling you is Saturday is better for me. But watching the game and having a meeting Friday sounded good enough to get my vote. If we have a meeting on Saturday, it's less likely I'll make it out for the viewing Friday. But I'm just one vote - and you've already got that.

At least your feeling bad balances out our feeling bad for having a few people that have to drive more than an hour in such a small city like Houston. :)

18. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. Help me out here guys. Let me know what yall want to do. I'd like to have meeting time/date/location decided by 9 PM tonight so we can plug on the Glenn Davis show.

19. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday! Friday! Friday! I don't care where. If it's Saturday, I won't be able to give FuBoy a ride home. :)

20. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still prefer Friday. I wouldn't be able to make the game watching group and the meeting.

So I say let it be Friday unless it doesn't win.

bford

21. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, well I guess we'll go with Friday, Feb 10 @ 8:00 for the meeting. The people who can't make it on Friday (which I'm so so sorry about, I tried! I promise!), I'll contact with a group name ballot which they can vote on and email back to me. Also, please PM or email me any ideas you have and I'll be sure to get those brought up at the meeting. You have my word.

Okay, so do we want to say Richmond Arms for this one? We had discussed other places, but I don't believe anything was finalized, and I say let's go for the tried and true with this short of notice. If we fill up the back room, we can filter out into the main room or outside, I'm sure.

If no other objections, I'll call in on Glenn's show tonight and plug. Or someone else (Albert?) call. Just mention we'll be voting on the name, discussing rivalry with Dallas, and watching the US/JPN game afterwards!

22. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    That sounds good, if the weather is nice the we can sit outside with no problems.

23. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we just meet outside to start? Unless it's raining or cold, that might make the most sense because 1) we would be very easy to locate and 2) people won't be discouraged by a full room. If I remember correctly, some late arrivals peeked their head in, saw how crowded it was and left unnoticed.

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a good idea. Some of us will probably try to arrive early anyway for some pre-meeting beer and grub, so we may be able to start holding down space. Right now, the forecast for Friday is partly sunny/high 66/rain 20%.

25. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't trust that weather dog... he is wrong a lot......:D

bford