Next Supporter's Group Meeting: Fri, Feb 10 @ Richmond Arms

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Feb 6, 2006.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allright, the next meeting of the not yet named Houston 1836 supporter's group will take place on Friday, Feb 10 @ 8 PM @ Richmond Arms. We'll be meeting from 8-10 and watching the US/Japan game from 10-midnight. This is an important meeting, as we will be voting for the group name, discussing the Rivalry Cup with Dallas, discussing any sponsorship ideas about our club, the tailgates, or any banners/flags we want to have, etc etc. We will also start to collect dues ($10 per person) and maybe elect officers.

If you can't make this meeting and have some thoughts about some of these ideas, feel free to PM me them and I will make sure and bring them up at the meeting. I'll be coming up with an agenda for the meeting tonight, so I'll post that when I'm done and those who aren't able to make it can PM me and tell me their ideas. If you can't make it, I'll also get you a ballot after the tally has been taken on Wednesday and you can email it back to me, so you can vote on the name you want.

So yes. Go forth and bring friends to the meeting!

Also, FuBoy, can we get another shout out on the chron boards? Grazie.

P.S. The Richmond Arms website is located here and there's a map here.

2. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some of the points brought up from the other meeting thread I closed down:

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 9:00, we will have two 1836 FO staff members stopping by Richmond Arms. They want to meet and greet on a social level and most importantly set up our Supporters Club seating structure and season ticket packages.

Be prepared my friends to welcome them in true Texas friendly form.

So far I have nothing but very high praise for the people that AEG has brought in to market and sell 1836. They have been very professional and very sincere about giving us all that we need to start off right and together we will have a solid relationship.

I am bringing an idea for our LARGE Supporters Club Banner that we will have. I also have some insider news that I would like to share.

Be prepared to come together even stronger than our first meeting. We have so much to look forward to! I hope everyone is going to be as pumped up as I am. Just a few years ago, the idea of having so many Houston die hards under one roof to watch the U.S.A. play, drink with great new friends and plan our support for our new MLS franchise....dang if life doesn't have its surprises!!!

4. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!

Pinch me - I must still be dreaming... Houston, WE HAVE A TEAM!

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome Celt, thanks!

6. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Remember: Bring a friend. See you there.

7. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh you are going to be able to go? Awesome!

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I called Michelle and told her we were thinking of meeting outside if the weather was nice, but she went ahead and reserved the back room as well. She said if the weather ended up being really nice, she could get a TV outside for us.

I came up with the agenda. I'll post it here so that way people can go ahead and start thinking of ideas. I'm not sure if we want to start having the discussion here in this thread, or if everyone will want to hold off until the meeting. It's whatever you decide. I'm easy. (No comments from the peanut gallery, thanks.) Also, if you can't attend the meeting and have any ideas you don't want to share here, feel free to PM them to me or email me at johnna02@hotmail.com. I'll bring them to the attention of the group at the meeting.

Agenda for 02/10/06 meeting

• Vote on name

• Rivalry Cup with Dallas
    o Group will be meeting with Dallas officers on Saturday, Dec 18th.
    o Suggestions about rivalry cup name
    o Suggestions about trophy

• Sponsorship ideas
    o Shirt- (bars, Soccer 4 All?)
    o Banner/flag/signs
    o Tailgating items (food (Fiesta?), beer, water, supplies, etc)

• Tailgating ideas
    o Have we heard anything else about where we can tailgate at Robertson?
    o Prices for members vs. non-members
    o How do we designate who has paid and who hasn’t?

• Supporter’s Section
    o Where do we want to sit?
    o We need drums and people to play them. Get chant ideas.
    o What color shirts do we want to wear?

• Officer Elections
    o Do we want to do this tonight?
    o Positions we had originally thought up: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Website Operator, Tailgate Coordinator
    o How do we elect?

• Dues
    o We discussed $10 per year/per person. Is this still a good price?
    o What does a membership entail? (supporters club shirt? One free tailgate pass? Discounted tailgate prices?)
    o If we elect a treasurer, they can go ahead and start collecting money, so bring $10 if you are interested in going ahead and paying dues.

• Meeting locations
    o Have we scouted out any add’l meeting locations? Places that have been suggested: Woodrow’s, BW3’s, Griff’s, Rob’s Pub, Live Sports Café.

• Supporter’s Group Activities
    o Kick around/game (Stephen?)
    o Anything else?
    o Roll call for US/GUA in Dallas

• Next meeting- I think we need to have another meeting in about 2-3 weeks. The season will be here before we know it and we need to have this all situated.

9. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent...didn't think you'd make it. Bring your indoor buddies.

FWIW, I think it is imperative that we officially elect officers in order to establish some leadership and accountability. Basic idea would be to see who is up for a given position, and then vote. Personally, I think pres and vice pres are no-brainers (anyone who was at the last meeting knows what I'm talking about) but the other positions are up for grabs. In addition, I'm sure that the officers will also need some help with various functions as no one person can effectively accomplish some of the things we need to accomplish. I think a great idea would be to establish a select group of volunteers who may not be officers but have time to assist the officers more than the average supporter...kind of like a superfan/apprentice if you will.

10. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we'll be allright, but Friday has been upgraded to a 50 percent chance of rain. :mad: It would be awesome to stay outside, but we'll have to wait and see.

the mighty 1836

bford

11. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I think we need to have a group in charge to make things run more smoothly. We'll see how it goes at the meeting.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done amiga mia Yanks. Very good agenda. All I can think of is to get our more private tasks voted on and organized before James and Maggie show up at 9:00.

Then with them we can talk about Tailgating, our seating structure, our ability to have drums and smoke, and where we want to be.

1836 has already told me that we can create our banners and flags and leve them with them so Gameday operations can set is all up for us. We will need to discuss what I have already brainstormed over.

We do need to have one chant ready by USA-Japan kickoff! One song and a chant is easy. IMHO Eyes of Texas and some simple Battle chant.

13. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    yep. I pulled a hammy, so no indoor for me.

14. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D This is gonna be fun! C-y'all Friday!

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    A few thoughts about the meeting:

Do we want a travel cooridinator, we won't have that many trips as a group but it'd be nice to have some organization (this could be done by one of the other officers)
    How to handle minors at the tailgate parties (bracelets handed out to members at the tailgate?)
    If money will be taken then somebody should have a way of giving out receipts, I can stop by somewhere and get a receipt book if need be.

16. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I think it would be nice if we have enough people committed to helping out to be able to split up the home game tailgating job and the away party/travel coordinating.

17. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This message is directed more toward the dozen or so people I have spoken with in the past month (officially or otherwise - I'm not supposed to recruit while I am on the clock for my company! :p ) or anyone else who might now be lurking here. You may not be registered here on BigSoccer.com (but you do know about it now, of course!), but more importantly, you don't know if you are going to make it to tomorrow night's shindig:

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION - COME JOIN US FOR FUN, FESTIVITIES AND FELLOWSHIP!

I must point out here that the basic American right of the individual vote is one of the most powerful tools you have as a citizen, whether you be of a specific country, nation or other socio-political entity - even just a local Soccer Supporter's group. Make your voice heard, and come and be counted among those of the faithful tomorrow night.

And drink.

And carouse.

And just generally be happy.

GO HOUSTON 1836!

p.s. Yanks, see if we can't bring several copies of the above discussion points, maybe one for each table that we occupy. I can do it, assuming I have the latest and greatest before I leave the house at about 7:00 pm tomorrow night.

18. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I'm on it.

Also, about the travel coordinator...I don't think, at least for this first season (or maybe the next couple of seasons) that we'll need that. We'll only be doing about 3 games (both Dallas games and then MLS Cup), so I really don't think we need to designate someone to be that person until we get to the point where we can travel more.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I think there should be somebody, all they really have to do is get a headcount so we can get a block of tickets together and possibly contact a hotel there about a group discount and to make sure there are enough rooms. Nothing extreme but we do need some sort of organization. And if that falls under the responsibilties of one of the other officers that's fine.

And what's up with Glenn Davis saying we have a president on his show last night? Is he confused or did I miss the voting for that?

20. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    Hello Everyone. Im new to the board and I want to get involved with the Supporters Club. Please let me know when the next meeting is and if there is anything I can do to help .Also do we know anything about trying to get the horns banned and the songs going?? Thanks,:D

21. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    The next meeting is tomorrow at 8 PM at Richmond Arms. To help just show up and bring as many people as you can to join. Somebody from the team's front office should be there to discuss what will be allowed into the stadium.

22. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    nevermind:) Im an idiot, I dont know why but I was thinking the 10th was last weekend...Sorry, lots of work, the days run together now. Cant wait to get to the field and raise hell:D

23. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another boring weather report...inside seems more likely as now the chance of rain for tomorrow is 90 percent according to Radar the weather dog. Now maybe that will mostly occur in the early part of the day.

onward 1836

bford

24. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay I'm confused about who this whole Radar dog thing. :confused:

Welcome footex! We'll see you tomorrow night!

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston