Next new Nation to win the World Cup?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Polemarch, Sep 7, 2013.

1. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    May be a bit biased being a portuguese Canadian but it's pretty funny seeing teams like England ahead of portugal in betting odds for the world cup. I think Portugal should be one of the favorites in 2018 and could be the next nation to win it for the first time. So much depth, never been this many great young portuguese players, reminds me of Germany 8 years ago.

Just look at the players that didn't even Mae the euro team, 20 year Andre Silva the leading scorer in Portugal and a goal scoring poacher portugals been missing for the past.....decades......finally looks like they have a legit elite young striker.
    Bernardo silva who was supposed to be a star of the euros got injured and was replaced by Renato Sanches......who wouldn't even have been on the team had Bernardo not gone down. Elite 22 year old winger attacking mid at Monaco and surely a big money move to an elite club team in the summer.
    Joao Cancelo the excellent young right back at Valencia who scored 3 goals in his first 3 games for Portugal in world cup qualifying is now there number 1 right back........he wasn't even on the euro team and has usurped Cedric (a good solid right back dor southampton) from his role.

Gelson Martin's the amazing 21 year sporting winger people are comparing to Figo and ripped up real Madrid in Madrid in the champions League this fall and is being linked to huge money move to Manchester United man city and rumors of already agreed to move to real Madrid. Being talked about as the best young winger in the world. A whisker away from usurping Nani starting spot. Will be Sportings record sale.

These are four elite young players who weren't even on The EURO team, not to mention the elite young players that played at the euros that will be even better at the world cup. Joao mario the 23 year old Inter midfielder who I think is better than Deco and being praised in Europe as the complete midfielder that could play on any team in any league. 23 year old Andre Gomes Barcelonas 50 million dollar transfer who is becoming a regular starter in Barcelona midfield. 24 year old William Carvalho arguably was the best defensive mid in the euros and has a he'll of a passing game for a big man, shocked sporting held on to him this summer. 22 year old raphael Guerrero the best left back in the euros and whom is now killing it for Dortmund in the midfield as there coach said he's just too good of a player to waste his talent playing at left back.
    Renato Sanches......enough said, arguably the best young midfielder in the world.

So much youth on this team and players who weren't in there primes at the euros but will be at the world cup. This willl be a much better offensive team in the world cup and will have arguably the best midfield at the world cup. Watch out for them, don't underestimate them, on my 31 years on this earth portugals never had a lot of depth and a lot of times a weak midfield, those days are gone now and I don't think you could honestly find another national team with as many elite young players and prospects as Portugal.

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #402 Rickdog, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Good post on regards to Portugal, but on regards to your first parragraph, the fact that England may currently appear with better betting odds than them, is not funny at all. It's simple facts.

They are simply basing their odds on how both teams have been doing in their respectful qualifier groups, where England has been almost cruising without any problems, getting only positive results and currently are on top of their group, being 2 points over whom follows them. While Portugal has had 3 good results and a very bad one the first match date, against an opponent (Switzerland) whom till now, hasn't lost any point, which in all have your beloved Portugal in a solid second place, 3 points behind them.

I don't know if you're not aware, but to get those WC tickets in Uefa, you have to first, win your group, and as things are currently going (although with more than half the games to be played), Portugal isn't even close to get them (currently Switzerland, are getting them in Portugal's group) , while England, given their position in their own group, is the team who is most closer in getting them at present times. For betting odds to change, and get even with England, Portugal not only needs to beat Switzerland at home by more than 2 goals (and not allowing any), but also has to get some lead in points on regards to them as well. Till that doesn't happen, betting odds will continue favouring those teams that are closer in getting WC tickets (not unlikely that Switzerlands betting odds may also be higher than those of Portugal, at present times).

3. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Betting odds aren't based on qualifying? If Germany was 2nd in there group they wouldn't have lower odds than England to win the world cup?

4. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Columbia and the Netherlands are ahead of portugal in betting odds, Portugal has the same odds they are giving to Russia to win? That doesn't make sense. The current euro winners that had a young team are equal with Russia? Not that I have a problem with the odds in the sense that I won $1,600 on a $100 dollar bet on bodog for them to win the euros!!!

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes they are, specially on how the campaign from the diferent teams evolve in time. Of course there are other issues, as well (being the amount of bets received for the diferent options, the one that is the most important of all).

6. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wait until it's closer to the actual WC and you will get a more accurate depiction of the actual odds, with the main exception like usual being England. You also may want to take advantage of these early odds though, because come closer to the WC Portugal will have better odds so take advantage while you can.

@Rickdog, the first tie breaker assuming Portugal beats Switzerland at home is not H2H but in fact GD, so any kind of victory would be sufficient if both teams continue on their current track. Well I mean also assuming Switzerland doesn't start to make up the GD which I can't see them doing.

Rickdog repped this.
  7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Regularly and for most Confeds, overall GD as you say so, is the main tiebreaker, but in the past, particularly Uefa seems to have dealt with it diferently, giving more importance to GD only among the teams tied in their matches between themselves.

To be honest, I wasn't so sure how it was going to be for this WC qualifier cycle, so I'll accept your word over it. ;)

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #408 BocaFan, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    I believe UEFA uses head-to-head in Euro qualifying but always GD in world cup qualifying.

Anyway, long way to go. Portugal also must play Hungary twice, a team they couldn't beat in the last Euros. They've had the easier schedule so far so its about more than them just beating Swiss at home if they wanna finish first.

But yes, of course how the qualifying campaign is going impacts your odds to win the World cup. You can't win the WC if you don't qualify.

9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I disagree, a player can't help if his country is too small or the FA is corrupt or incompetent.

Dage repped this.
  10. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Belgium seems so dominant in the european qualifiers for 2018. I think they have the closest chance. Other than them, I think Portugal, Croatia and Chile might be contenters within this thread.