Next manager after Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Nov 13, 2020.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    lets not pick the coach based on his nationality.

2. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    He's done pretty well with the U-21. They've gotten to two u-21 finals which resulted with them winning one. Plus they got to the Olympics final last year

3. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    that will never happen be realistic lol I would like to have rui jorge (portugal u-21 coach), Hervé Renard, or Peter Vermes.

4. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Based on the probable salary, I’d like them to hire me.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to a podcast that suggested Southgate wants a shot at a big 4 EPL club because he wants to prove he is that level of a manager, but if he can’t get traction on that his second choice is the US men…

Probably better than most options.

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enrique actually had Berhalters exact problem. He chose a style of play and only wanted players that fit his system. He just had the most talented players in the world at his system, but…

Spain under performed under him.

Is he a better coach than Berhalter? Surely.

Is he an elite level. Coach? He’s not in the conversation with Guardiola, Klopp, etc.

Is he as good as LVG, Mourinho of today, Southgate…yeah

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he’s done well on the youth level, but the last four Spanish coaches have been Luis Enrique, Julen Lopetegui, Vicente del Bosque, and Luis Aragones (and they had two coaches who took over on a short term basis under extraordinary circumstances in Robert Moreno and Fernando Hierro). de la Fuente may very well do a perfectly fine job, but he’s definitely coming into the job with a different resume than his predecessors.

PJ234 repped this.
  8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Why do people think i want Enrique as coach.. it should be pretty obvious based on this previous post below. The post you quoted was about how many posters just look at results and not how games are actually played.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a big problem with the US job (for everyone but the manager) is that the position is too safe and comfortable....only tested at the WC level.

I wish whomever was hired next wouldnt be basically guaranteed the next four years in power.

needs to be more presssure on the coach to produce than there is (granted, it is hard in concacrap_

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The USSF only wants to play at home. They don't send a team to the Pan American games, they refuse calls to Copa America, they refuse calls to tournaments for youth like Toulon, etc.

The only thing missing at this point is CONCACAF allowing us to play both home and away WCQ games in the USA. It's the only confederation where the continental cup is always in the same country.

Even the Nations League's final tournament is played in the USA.

That is bad for us. We're like a spoiled kid who only goes out when he must.

Zinkoff, gjackson2207 and LordofBrewtown repped this.
  11. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Yeah I can see your point when we have most of the region's games being played here in the US. If there is a Pan American Confederation soon then we could see the US going away a bit more.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Vermes??? Fans were complaining about Berhalters lack of player rotation and subs..........Vermes is famous (infamous?) for running his teams into the ground by using the same lineup every game, and barely using his substitutions.

The US refused an invite to the 2019 tourney. That was actually a good move. They would have gotten humiliated at the tourney.

The Gold Cup and Nations League are played in the US because Concacaf likes and needs money. If they play the tourney in any other country they're not going to make any money. It's the same reason Conmebol is open to holding the tourney in the US......$$$$$,

Now, could/should Concacaf hold those tourney's in Mexico and Canada??? IMO yes. The rest of Concacaf doesn't have the infrastructure to host either of those tourney's.

13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I want someone who is more honest and more courageous. Not someone who avoids accountability for tough or difficult choices, and takes responsibility for his own errors.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...h-Southgate-likes-USA-future-destination.html

Appearing on a Men in Blazers live podcast in San Francisco, television anchor Rebecca Lowe discussed the potential of Southgate moving to America.

'I've heard all sorts of thoughts about apparently he does quite like the United States as a next destination, whether that be Major League Soccer or USA.'

Southgate's current deal with the England national team does not expire until the summer of 2024 but he will assess his options in the coming weeks.

----
    A rumor based on speculation about hearsay. But it's something, no?

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how would southgate navigate fashion-wise? extra medium tshirt with "waistcoat"?

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it’s the USSF that wants all the tournaments in the us

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Even if that's not the case, they could put their foot down and refuse to work for everybody else. Their priority should be the US team, and the team needs to develop the mental hardiness to play abroad, even if they mount an all-night party with fireworks outside the hotel.

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a ton of similarities between Enrique and Berhalter in terms of coaching style.

https://theathletic.com/3983158/2022/12/09/spain-cult-luis-enrique/?source=user_shared_article

Anyone who didn’t like Berhalter as USMNT coach, would not like Enrique as USMNT coach either.

19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
  20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owners of the NFL stadiums that host far more soccer matches than USMNT games would laugh all the way to the bank too. It's not up to the USSF, they're outnumbered by the rest of Concacaf, who like holding the events in the US because they benefit the most from the Gold Cup and Nations League being held here.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  21. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Lol the lakers would take him back again

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    #822 dspence2311, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Phil Jackson + a bunch of genius tacticians would crush it with this group. Not only was he good with volatile stars, he was almost a perfect example of what psychologist called “actively open minded thinking.“ He had no emotional attachment to particular ways of doing things, but was creative about finding whatever worked to exploit the talent pool for maximum team performance. Rivals derided the triangle, but it was just an idea that worked. When it didn’t any more, he changed. He was courageous about making controversial decisions, yet retained a strong moral center. Too bad there isn’t a soccer equivalent jumping out at us.

PJ234 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Which podcast?

24. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure. I’ve been listening to so many the last two weeks and I never normally listen. It may have been the guardian or sky sports or something…