Next EPL TV Deal

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by DAGSports, Oct 24, 2003.

1. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    What if anything will be different under the next contract? Different timeslots/criteria for Free v. PPV games? Enhanced production/announcing?

Will Fox Sports Net affiliates be required to rebroadcast the live "free" game and/or the highlights show (assuming FSW renews the rights, which I do)?

Will TWI still be a middleman or will NewsCorp produce one feed (Sky) for the entire world?

Will YES be allowed to continue carrying ManU games?

Also, how come FSNY/MSG are the only RSN's to carry EPL Highlights currently? Is it part of their commitment to MLS? They surely have as much room for profitable time filler / infomercials as anyone else. Will they continue to carry EPL regardless of what other RSN's do so long as the Metrostars are paying for their games?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think it is a stituation where NYC has a higher than average number ex-pats living here, so MSG/FSNY shows some EPL footy in an attempt to draw them in. I do not think it has much to do with MSG's commitment to the Metrostars and MLS.
    Now MSG/FSNY showing replays of MLS Wrap could be defined as catering to the Metrostars/MLS fans, as well as MSG's 30 minute NY soccer show.

The YES Network shows the MUTV local feed of MUFC games, not the normal EPL broadcast. The deal to satisfy FSW's exlusive rights as home of the EPL means a weeklong tape delay of MUTV on YES.

Maybe Oliver can correct me in anything I blatantly pulled out of my a$$ :)

3. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I see what you mean. I suppose the fact that Cablevision can draw on so many sources of ad/subscriber revenue makes it palatable for MSG/FSNY to carry a lot of soccer.

If I remember correctly, YES actually got into trouble at one point because they tried to televise weekend games before FSW did (assuming they were on PPV). But if ManU plays a midweek game, I do believe YES can show it that week (usually Thursday) because there is no PPV for midweek games. For example, last season, they had the game at Arsenal the day after it was played (the game was on a Wednesday, YES had it that Thursday night). I do think MUTV is probably getting the ITV/TWI/SKY feed, same as FSW, sans graphics and announcers.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think MUTV does their own broadcast. The quality is certianly much higher than the FSW feed we get, minus the blatant pro Man Yoo anouncers on MUTV.

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting at least the Sunday 9:00am Eastern game would be nice. So would a game live at 10:00am Saturday and 11:00am Sunday, but that's probably too much to hope for. Would be quite sweet though.

Also would like to see coverage of all mid-week games. League Cup would be nice too.

6. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    YES had to pay FOX Sports Int'l (FSI) a sublicense fee to air Man U games in EPL on minimum 72-hour delay. YES aired one match without paying FSI (by claiming that Man U had retained delayed rights) and FSI of course sued YES for damages.

As for Cablevision (MSG and FOX Sports Net NY), Cablevision also pays FSI a sublicense fee to air the EPL highlights show. The expatriate audience in the New York market is big enough for Cablevision to justify the expense, which can be covered by TARGETED advertisers such as British Airways (which flies from JFK Airport nonstop to both London Heathrow and Manchester).

RSNs in other markets can't justify the expense of sublicensing the EPL highlights show from FSI. Neither Los Angeles, Chicago, nor San Francisco/San Jose have enough British expatriates to drive the advertising.

FSI does give away one EPL match each week on 72-hour delay to FOX Sports Net affiliated regional sports networks (the ones owned by FOX, Cablevision, and Comcast) as filler programming, primarily as an infomercial for FOX Sports World and pay-per-view.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    wow....

so how close was I with my "made up" info? :)

Thanx for the "reaal stuff" Oliver! :)

8. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    ill tell em this much

if theyre gonna call themselves the home of the epl and all this other nonsense

they should show the big games
    a few they missed
    manu-arsenal
    chelsea-arsenal
    liverpool-chelsea season opener

it doesnt have to be live if its immediatly after the ppv thats fine

fsw wake up

damn bastards

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I don't think FSW always has a choice in the fixtures they can show.... am I right on this?

10. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Pay per view

Pay per view

Pay per view

FOX Sports Int'l makes more money by putting 2 games each week on pay per view.

The PPV games show up on FOX Sports World on 72-hour delay.