Rumor: Next England Manager Thread Discussion

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  2. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Not sure how good Sam Wallace's sources are at Leicester had it come from John Percy I'd give it a lot more weight

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Potter is still being paid by Chelsea so that could be an issue if he is offered the England job.

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Steve Copper confirmed at Leicester.

5. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Happy enough, Potter now surely favourite to replace Southgate

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Surely but one if the papers did say his long break since he left Cheslea could count against him with the FA.

And as I’ve said before I’m not sure Potter will actually do well. His style requires lots of training time when he wouldn’t get at England. And he didn’t look comfortable with the pressure and the press when things went wrong at Chelsea.

7. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    the long break is due to how much Chelsea are still paying him, its why we walked away, I suspect he'd be willing to wave that for the England job

Fireburn47 repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    (Posting it here) If Southgate went after Qatar Sean Dyche would have been the English front runner to replace him. Would the FA have had the balls to go for Pochentino or Tuchel? When the press were calling it cheating and admission of FA faliure. .

I still don’t know what will happen if Potter rejects it or is unavailable. I still don’t know if the FA will go for one of those above (The fundamental issue that the FA will face a backlash and humiliation going foreign again remain) or will it end up Lampard.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That won’t happen for several reasons.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #561 Fireburn47, Jun 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    If they ask him to stay on then they clearly do not want Potter and are holding out for someone else English to become available. Which might mean they do just bite the bullet if he quits and ask Pochentino or Tuchel.

Dyche actually could do well with the squad in terms of making it to the matches with the big teams.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Also Potter won’t actually go down that well on social media where people tend to want Pep, Howe, Jose or Klopp. But the FA will probably take that rather than have the press saying the FA have failed in training someone if they go foreign.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    There's no way Southgate will stay on now

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Impossible to say until the knockouts begin. .

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Maybe but the press in the week after the France match at the Euros was rather anti non English manager and gave off the impression if the FA did do it they would make trouble for the manger and the FA.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    QUOTE="Wendigo7, post: 42303171, member: 264301"]Was just thinking… should we talk to Rangnick and on an interim basis like at United, see his recommendations on how to fix things and move forward?[/QUOTE]
    His time at Manchester United showed players don’t respect managers who they know are out the door soon.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Posting it here. So while those papers report that Pochentino is a strong contender it’s clear if he is hired they will be a lot of criticsim aimed at the FA for having to admit to not being able to find a quality English candidate. The Times article calls out Sven and Capello as well.

From 2022 in the Telegraph
    ‘England will be cheating international football if they appoint a foreign coach.’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ating-international-football-appoint-foreign/

From 2023 in the Times
    https://www.thetimes.com/article/en...oach-in-wiegman-feels-like-cheating-xwp9clt3s
    England having a foreign coach in Wiegman feels like cheating

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #571 Fireburn47, Jun 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024

Might also be an issue if he wants the England job.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This is just nonsense! I mean it’s preferable to have an English coach off course but having a foreign coach isn’t cheating. So many other Countries have foreign coaches including Portugal fwiw and I bet their media don’t say they are cheating.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    In this sense Musiala playing for Germany, Styles playing for Hungary, Jorginho playing for Italy etc-etc is cheating. Which is of course stupid.

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    True but it’s a sign that if the FA do hire Poechetino or Tuchel they will be a lot of debate and backlash aimed at the FA. Even without a stand out English candidate. The last 8 years of rebuilding the relationship between the FA /squad and the press would be pretty much over in an instant.

25. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I think you spend to much time on social media the ‘backlash’ (nice provocative word btw, criticism would be more precise) wouldn’t be as big as you’ve constructed in your head, and some of the scenarios you’ve envisaged just wouldn’t happen or be as big a deal as you seem to think.