Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol.

What are they doing down there.

2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while im certainly not going to miss the "style of play"/direction earnie seemed intent on, its obviously a hot mess having zero "soccer people" to, well, hire the soccer people. im not super encouraged by a firm stating they will work with all levels of us soccer leadership when some measure of distance from that is (imo) needed.

i know the status quo posters dont enjoy this analogy, but we arent going to be any less inbred if the input comes from the same gene pool.

that said- oscar pareja for gm, matarazzo for manager.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Does it clarify which summer?

4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i want to be very clear that thats a sad rep i gave you, dont go feeling all good about yourself :cool:

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ambitious bunch.

Value them as you will, but we have two tournaments to play in before the end of the summer - it might be useful to have a permanent head coach in charge for those.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is a brave, new world here. I've never seen anything like this in any other federation. It all seems to have been placed in motion at least a few weeks ago if not months ago.

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's been long known that LigaMX basically controls the FMF. Part of it is that the big teams and the telecom companies are co-owned / in cahoots, and so may of the decisions are driven to keep those properties strong.

But now, apparently, the teams have set up a coaching advisory committee that will advise the coach -- I can't imagine Bielsa would have listened -- and are being much more overt in their control.

It's basically what people claim is going on here with MLS, but much closer to the truth.

Burr, tomásbernal, Boysinblue and 2 others repped this.
  8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It would. There will be more available coaches come the summer, though.

I hope they move quickly on the GM. I am very worried about what the hell they are thinking here in terms of a hire. All I can see in my head is Carlos Bocanegra, who has sucked Atlanta down to the ground and is high up in the USSF player's group.

Burr, tomásbernal, Boysinblue and 5 others repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Understood, but I feel pretty good about our house-cleaning, which of course might end badly. I'm in the camp that supports the ambition that our players deserve.

10. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Yeah we have tournaments this summer, but also I can't say I really care about them. This is about the next World Cup, which we happen to be hosting. I think getting the right GM should probably take precedence because really you want to get that right and then let them make the decision on the manager. I think it's good not to rush this.

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess the underlying problem with USSF is that they've shown they can't be trusted with any hire.

GM or coach, they could aggressively ******** up either or both. I'm just imagining them waiting around for 8 months, blowing negotiations with like...Mourinho and ending up with Ben Olsen.

russ, rgli13 and gogorath repped this.
  12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I will say the search firm sounds pretty legit. Normally, I am cynical about those, but if USSF is serious about listening, it could be good.

Boysinblue repped this.
  13. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I agree, particularly if there are coaches that have expressed interest but who won’t be available till summer.

14. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Do you think ES and McBride did a credible jobs? Worried that they are leaving? Because they hired them. I have plenty of criticisms of the USSF but sometimes it can be a little over the top.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, not really.

Stewart has a lousy track record (Philly and AZ's improvements after his departures speak to this) and I don't think McBride had any actual responsibilities.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the floor is more like Cherundolo or Curtain rather than Ben Olsen. Or Berhalter again, but I think Stewart leaving really kills any chance he had of coming back.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    I disagree here but fair enough.

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i read all the comments from all the parties when he was hired, ive seen the list of responsibilities thats gone around and i still feel like his entire job was calling clubs to arrange player releases.

tomásbernal and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I am going to value my own sanity enough to choose to take that as a signal that they want to include European coaches who won't be available until the end of the club season in the process.

russ, xbhaskarx, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  20. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can guarantee that a Ben Olsen "system" won't be too complicated for the national team.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s why PSV hired him.

deejay and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to determine any other specific responsibilities he had other than this, and if true probably why he wanted to leave.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Re: what McBride actually did, former poster Susaeta claims that he selected Mikey Varas for the U-20 head coaching position, and had a number of other less glamorous duties:

1616897554670657542 is not a valid tweet id

Pegasus, deejay, russ and 8 others repped this.
  24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe can we create a figurehead manager position for mcbride? hes a handsome dude, looks great in a suit- let him clap and point with the camera on him while some rat-faced bastard like (my pick) matarazzo actually calls the shots :ROFLMAO:

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    My first instinct was that this might be a Team Berhalter coup. But the by the end of summer language makes it sound like they know who the coach will be (approximately) and can only announce after the Euro season ends.