Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann got ~$3.5M per plus bonuses for his 2nd cycle but the sponsorship deals that was landed many based on JK's pedigree resulted in USSF makin money on the deal.

Sunil is an econ professor after all. Lets see the business acumen of the current USSF leadership.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lecturer, not professor.

H48omer and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Indeed.

How can one push to be a Columbia professor when they're running a multi million $ organization, with interactions among very difficult people to deal with?

Priorities.

4. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003

Agree. He brings with him the name recognition that tells the world we've arrived and will give the players that extra oomph that takes the team to the next level. Have to be careful about why he would want to coach the team.

When he left Arsenal he did say that he would coach again for the right opportunity. Is the USMNT the right opportunity?

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    A coach who never coached in Europe and knows shit about American players. Next. Who is the guy whom many people are asking the question?

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #731 butters59, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Not anymore. And being better than Baltimore and Detroit doesn't make Chicago safe place.

H48omer, Namdynamo and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    Could or would?

I'm sure US Soccer "could" pay whatever they wanted.

US Soccer's audited financials are available online for FY 2021.

If my wife was awake I'd ask her to look. She's the Chief Accounting Officer for a pretty large company and of course a CPA and she loves this stuff. After we took the Kids to Disney World she had to pull all of Disney's financials out of curiosity, LOL.

from my uneducated look, I don't think they would have much problem paying whatever they felt they wanted to. It appears they pay roughly 28M to 30M right now for Salaries across the board of all employees, So if they wanted to add 2 or 3M to what Berhalter was getting it appears they could do that.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I am aware of all those managers. I was posting what they were doing before they got hired to their current jobs.

I don’t know that any would be considered top 50 in the World at current.

Even someone like Van Gaal was retired, hadn’t coached in 5 years, and his last job was a terrible stint at Manchester United.

Im not sure that the number of caps is relevant.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago isn’t an unsafe place. Like most big cities there are neighborhoods that have more crime and there are neighborhoods that are safer. That applies in Baltimore and Detroit too btw.

WrmBrnr and Dander repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 5 managers I listed are easily in the top 20 international managers in the world and have all won everywhere they managed. Southgate is the newcomer or else i would say top 10. Deschamps is the reigning World Cup Champion and is going for a double FFS. Van Gaal has only managed Ajax, Barca, Bayern, and Man U in addition to a 3rd place finish at WC2014. Tite has won a Club World Cup along with a Copa and is obviously a 2nd cycle manager for Brazil.

The only outlier in that group is the Moroccan manager who was appointed in Aug/Sept IIRC after the Bosnian qualified the squad. The US beat Morocco under their previous manager IIRC.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse or Dolo? Here's Jesse!

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, can you ask your wife to look at that report and tell us what she thinks? I looked at it just now and it looks like USSF has about $20M in cash, but I have no idea what the rest of the numbers really mean. Most of their assets appear to be tied up in "investments" (~$117M of $158M total assets). It would be great to get a sense of what the maximum that USSF might actually be able to reasonably afford is.

13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yes, there has been a minor uptick or flattening out after decades of decline according to FBI statistics. Personally, I don't think this changes the fact that fear of crime is untethered to the actual crimes rates. And of course, I prefer not to live in constant fear. Your milage may vary.

[​IMG]

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought about this a little more - Martinez did his media stuff with CBS while still coaching the Belgian national team. I believe Poch has done some TV work in Europe, and I've really been enjoying his articles on The Athletic. Could that be a possible sweetener if US Soccer decided to swing big and give him a call? Let him continue to do his TV/media work, whether that would be on CBS or perhaps on Apple's MLS coverage (even remotely if he was somewhere scouting). Yes, we'd have to sweeten the pot to get him interested. Just get Nike on the phone - I'm sure an extra $2M would be chump change for them in a cycle where sport's biggest event will be in their country.

I realize Poch is probably either looking at a big club or Argentina for his next role. But I still think you make him say no at least once. However, I realize that ambition is probably beyond what US Soccer really wants to do.

15. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I don't think Poch would be attracted to an international job in the first place where you spend that little time with your players. He's a control freak. And I think he's one of the guys who wants a big English job, very possibly a return to Tottenham. But you could ask him.

Roberto Martinez would absolutely 100% take the job and I would be surprised if he's not openly angling for it.

Joachim Low would probably take it. If Southgate is done with England he would do it.

Roberto Mancini would be worth a call. Ronald Koeman too. And I dig the Rafa Benitez idea someone had earlier.

Marcelo Gallardo is someone we really ought to look into too, though I think he ultimately is seeking a top English or Real/Barca type job.

It is an absolute dereliction of duty if the federation is not investigating this stuff.

It's not that you can't retain Gregg or hire Steve Cherundolo in lieu of some of these vastly more decorated coaches (though you shouldn't retain Gregg in any event). It's that you need to do so thoughtfully and intentionally after an open recruitment process and be frank and candid in explaining why.

Namdynamo, nobody, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of think that's why you do a short term extension. Both sides get to explore their options and you're not doing it behind anyone's back or anything. Berhalter sees what European options are and we get a sense of whose legitimately interested. And maybe that leads back to Berhalter or maybe it doesn't. But let's explore our options first. And it also doesn't make sense to have an interim coach if there's a possibility Berhalter may be back.

And if Berhalter is clear he doesn't want to return, then name an interim and get the search going.

edcrocker, tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of wonder if search firms are a thing that people use in soccer. It's big in college football and essentially they will quietly reach out to various candidates to gauge interest, pre-vet those candidates, and then present the school with potential options who have passed vetting and have interest in the job. That's sort of the process we should undertake and no reason to take any names off the list. Someone like Pochettino is unlikely but you lose nothing for casting a broad net in terms of figuring out who has interest.

nobody repped this.
  18. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    You never know how to interpret some of these reports, but if Gregg really does have some trepidation about continuing, what are we even doing here?

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's unfair if Berhalter wants to explore his European options or if he wants to take some time to consider whether he wants to make another four year commitment. Both sides should take some time to think things through and there's no reason to rush a decision in the next two weeks. I'd sign the short term extension through March, but that also doesn't mean they have to wait till then to make a final decision.

edcrocker and gogorath repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The US can pay a decent increase. I'm not sure how much they have set aside, but the last Copa America made them a fortune, and they stocked up a pretty big number -- like $100M. Some of that they wanted to use to build a National Training Center, so it may be earmarked, but there's enough to subsidize a big name coach for a few years if there was value.

Even in terms of operating income, US Soccer varies from year to year, based on revenues that can be all over the place. I would say that the new player's contract gave substantially more to them so there's less sustainable than usual.

That said, going from $5M planned for a cycle to $20M or $30M (and there's a cascade to assistant salaries as well) is not an easy thing to incorporate.

I really doubt it would be practical to toss out $10M to Pep, for example. USSF revenues are like $100-$120M and most of that is eaten up by the costs of putting on national team games. You can't pay the head coach alone 10% of salaries even before staff.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    They do, but they come up with a lot of the same names.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southgate and Tite's success with the national team is not really relevant to the discussion because we are talking about their resumes at the time of hiring. No one denies that they have done a good job with their national team (nor that Deschamps has), but it's a question of how the fanbase would feel if someone with their resume was hired as the next coach. Deschamps for instance was coming off a very poor season in club football. Those 5 have not all won everywhere they've gone.

Van Gaal's last coaching stop for instance was really bad. Angel Di Maria calls him the worst manager he's ever had. No club wanted to hire him after Man U and he was retired. He had even announced his retirement. He's had a great career, but when he took the Netherlands job his stock was very low. To his credit he's done a good job, but if we hired Van Gaal last September I don't know how excited our fan base would have been in the moment.

Southgate was relegated in his only club coaching job (and I actually think he's done a very good job for England). I like Tite, but his credentials were best domestic coach in Brazil. The equivalent hire would be to go hire the current best domestic coach in Brazil (who is probably Scolari but not super comparable because he's had experience with various national teams and in Europe which Tite didn't have before, Abel Ferreira would probably be more comparable).

I disagree that any those 5 are clearly top 20 in the world in terms of managers. I don't think that's a controversial statement. The club game generally has the higher caliber of managers.

Here's 20 names for you that are better (and this is off the top of my head and I'm probably forgetting some people): Pep, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, Simeone, Zidane, Ancelotti, Pochettino, Emery, Mourinho, Pioli, Arteta, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, Galtier, Spalletti, Allegri, Streich, Howe, and Sampaoli.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Martinez has been pretty open about wanting to go back to club soccer. Pretty sure he's openly said he would not coach another national team. Same for Luis Enrique (whi actually did resign from the Spanish team before but agreed to come back).

Mancini I think wants to stay in Italy.

24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is less a direct reply than my general thoughts on martinez...

im a low key fan of his, but ironically i think he would have been a better hire before berhalter (lets ignore availibility, this is a broad take) or after a next manger, but not now.

even among managers of his profile (keeping things simple, setting a team up according to its individual strenghts and letting them play) hes pretty loose, but hes a likable dude, strong evaluator. you can second guess whatever you want, but trying to squeeze every drop out of the best players belgium have ever had isnt the disaster people try to make it out to be.

the reason i say he would have been a reasonable hire "over" gregg 3 years ago is that we largely knew who our top players were (musah being the lone "out of nowhere" addition), and i think that could have been just as- if not more- valuable than greggs approach of full fleshing out the domestic pool in building a foundation. thats simply preference, and while i lean to talent/ability i think greggs done a great job in his starting from scratch approach. i dont know that martinez would have used acosta, but i think theres a whole lot of minutes weah and robinson could have played that they didnt.

so while i think martinez could have been a strong candidate now as well (ignoring intl play and looking only at our individual players), we DO have the foundation gregg has put in place, for the most part in a positive sense. the reason im a hard no to even considering martinez right now is we need someone to to build on what we have- primarily adding the (at least) 20% of the game gregg is either unwilling or unable to prove: and offense that creates genuine scoring chances, that fits the players available and actually produces.

thats not to say we need, or that i want, an all-offense, all-the-time anti-berhalter- i just think we arent a complete team. we have to find a balance of what gregg has been able to do and what he hasnt. hence my preference for matarazzo at this time. hes of a similar profile as martinez with, imo, more tactical prowess.

anyways, to close this loop, after we have integrated some semblance of a functional attack (ne well-rounded team tactically) to our strong existing defensive and pressing ability i think martinez could be a reasonable option again.

but not now. my best case/realistic scenario is matarazzo now, and if in two years we are looking to be on the right track then by all means he carries us into the world cup in 26. if he does well (or, you know, sucks, who knows for sure in any direction?) but not convincingly so we could back up a brinks truck and take a swing at my wildest dream, favorite current manager in christophe galtier, and very realistically land somewhere close to van gaal/mourinho/southgate-ville with a matured, multi-dimensional team close to/in the very early stages of their primes capable of being further elevated by world class tactics.