Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    We should've hired an Argentine, like everybody else.

Burr repped this.
  2. coldfusion

coldfusion Member

Dec 3, 2003
    SoFla / SoCal
    Is Cesc really coaching in Serie B now?

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie A as they got promoted.

russ and coldfusion repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are opening up the pocket book it’s not for any of those coaches other than Biesla or Scaloni. And it’s unclear that either would be interested.

superdave repped this.
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Reports say Bielsa asked Mexico $10m/year, in part because it was further away from home.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    $20M for Chicago.

7. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    The Copa América opener showed us that Marsh is a superior coach than Gregg.

1) he showed that he’s not overly rigid with a “system” or tactic
    2) he knows how to play to his team’s strengths

He’s definitely going to be on the top of any list moving forward

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $18.6m for metro atlanta.

9. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man you must be some kind of a savant. Watch Marsch coach ONE freaking international match and you just know he's better than Berhalter.

superdave, Burr, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah those free in on goal breakaways they allowed with a high line were coaching brilliance. He was pretty lucky the result wasn’t much worse.

dna77054, Grumpy in LA, Burr and 6 others repped this.
  11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah. I saw Messi miss at least three wide open shots (it may have been 4 or 5) and that does not happen ... well ever.
    But, on the other side of the coin Canada badly missed three or four open shots of their own. So the score could have been pretty much anything from Argentina 5-0 Canada to Canada 3-2 Argentina and mostly anywhere in between.

However Argentina showed much more ability to overcome adversity as Canada really has only three or so weapons while Argentina has 15 or 20, at least. Marsh lost the adjustment battle but he had MUCH less choices available. His "brilliance" was that when the match was tied he basically played level with Argentina and even after the first goal his strategy kept the match under control.
    Canada really never looked in danger of winning the match but neither did they look totally outclassed.

I was impressed with both teams as things were not going well for either for most of the match and both made small adjustments that, mostly, served to negate the other's changes.
    The deciding factors were the depth of Argentina and the lack of the same by Canada.

We do not know, based on the opening match, where we really are for this tournament but I kind of doubt that we could hang with Argentina like Canada did and I think we beat Canada even under Marsh in most cases.

I was not impressed by Argentina but the good/great teams often get off to a slow start in tournaments like this. It is not how a team starts that matters but how and where they finish.

dark knight repped this.
  12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I'd manage the team in Atlanta for half that amount. They can then use the money saved by my pay cut to surround me with world class assistant coaches that know what the hell they are doing.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And one in which, if Argentina was finishing anything, they could have lost like 4-0 or 5-0!

They gave up over 3 xG and only had 1 ... not a great performance at all. That was worse in terms of xG than our Colombia loss, for example.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Significantly worse than our performance against Holland.

This is how ballgoinitis rots the brain. That game was “exciting” because there was a lot of back and forth action and the scoreline was tight for 88 minutes. Tied for 49 and a one goal game for 88 means Canada was always in reach of a result.

What happened is that Argentina did a very poor job of exploiting space in behind in the first half (one clear chance around the 9th minute they failed to convert). Then, when their staff showed them clips of all the, nearly blind, throughballs they could play, they completely wiped the floor with Canada in the second. There were so many clips to show that Argentina were 5 minutes late coming out for the 2nd half (Jesse complained that they were late because they were doing video analysis at halftime).

If your strategy needs a team to forget they can play behind your line for most of a half and then blow 7 great clear opportunities it’s not a good strategy unless you are creating at least as much on the other end. That was not the case.

theboogeyman, Burr, gomichigan24 and 2 others repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #7165 schrutebuck, Jun 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    First half xG was 0.67 to 0.69. Obviously, Canada was much more vulnerable once Argentina got the early second half goal and they decided to chase it and stop staying compact, because those central players are the mediocre part of their side and are going to be massively exposed.

tomásbernal, Burr and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the goalkeeper, 3/4s of the backline, the central midfield, and the coach are Canada's problem at this level.

But anyway, how about we wait to criticize Berhalter's coaching at this event until after the event............................

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First time?

theboogeyman and superdave repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The board goes into group "calamity thinking" before every event with Berhalter.
    Then all of the doom sayers have to explain why Berhalter is left holding trophies, making knockout rounds of the World Cup, and such.

Berhalter is going to get his clocked cleaned by Tata Martino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Real world was a different story.

Not just Berhalter. The board has done this with every USMNT coach. Its stopped being interesting a long time ago.

theboogeyman repped this.
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But where is the fun in that? Gregg is a poor/bad coach and even at his best he is no better than the average mid table MLS coach. But, sometimes, his bizarre coaching works in spite of itself. I just wish we had a coach that had some idea of dynamic coaching.
    He is poor but he has enough talent available that "poor" works for CONCACAF most of the time.

20. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    Legitimate point, but I think you’re oversimplifying a bit.

I’ll bet my left nut that Jesse wouldn’t have his backline play that way anymore after analyzing film. I think Jesse will adapt to get more out of his team. Gregg, however, will play out of the back (for example) “till I die”.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hire a new soccer coach but keep Gregg on as Nice Guy just like Klinsmann could have stayed on as Motivator

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think the problem for Berhalter is that he doesn’t spend enough time on tactics. I also think it’s not a problem players genuinely like the guy. Do you think Liverpool players didn’t looked Klopp?

The USMNT Twitter animus against Berhalter is a bit tired on the eve of a big tournament. None of this is particularly relevant and Berhalter should be judged on how he does at the Copa America.

theboogeyman and MarioKempes repped this.
  23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jesse, but he has only proven that he knows how to lose

24. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    Just like to add two facts:

1) the USMNT, player for player, is significantly better than the CNT (aside from Davies).
    2) Argentina is arguably the best team in the world (and certainly one of the best at attacking transitions)

if Hessie adapts and changes the way his backline operates (as he should), then what? At worst he’s a coach willing to make changes to benefit his team. Can you say the same thing about Gregg?

the Mayor of Hannover will take us to the promised land anyway. The reality is that Gregg and Jessie were inferior players and now coaches than the almighty Stevie C

25. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    A quick wiki search reveals three noteworthy facts:

1) Gregg has a 43% winning percentage as a coach
    2) Jessie has a 49% winning percentage as a coach
    3) Take out coaching the Kings of CONCACAF, and Gregg sits around 38%

Btw, I don’t think you actually like Jessie.