Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Obviously living in Chicago is great and everyone should do it, but that's a patently absurd requirement for a USMNT coach given that isn't where the team trains or plays.

Gareth Southgate was considerably less experienced than Berhalter actually. But England is a weird and absurd job, that's not really relevant.

theboogeyman and Gacm32 repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2022 team does play different from the 2014 squad but I don't see any tactical difference. I stress I don't see it. I am not arguing that there is not one, just am missing it. What is it?

I see individual player attribute differences. The 2014 team did not have anyone with Musah's world class press resistance and ball progression or the tight space operating skillset of Dest, Pulisic, or Gio (when healthy).

IMO, Pulisic, Dest, and Musah's dribbling and ball retention in tight spaces account for the possession differences.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #578 comoesa, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    You guys seriosuly think Egg is going to walk away from 1.3 million per? He may say how stressful the job is but he's going to have to be forced out the door.

bct81, Gacm32, IndividualEleven and 3 others repped this.
  4. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    As you likely know having ties to Michigan, John Harbaugh did not play the game. Jim Harbaugh did. Indisputable that they’re both great coaches. Any discount applied to John, at any point in his trajectory, would have been a huge mistake. He’s the better and more respected coach now. I suspect that the dude currently at BVB is a decent soccer example.

If we were two years out or had to qualify I might think differently.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marsch does have WC experience as an assistant coach under BB.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #581 xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    1. Do you think, after reading my full comment, that I mentioned Pep Guardiola because I think Pep is about to become the USMNT coach, or because I was making a more general point about starting from the top coaches in the world (Pep currently being #1) and trying to get the best coach we can, rather than looking at currently unemployed coaches first? I even gave a more reasonable example with Marcelo Gallardo since he's already lived in the US. Starting the coaching search by looking at currently unattached coaches is like starting with options #750-800 first (Hey Klinsmann doesn't have a coaching job!), given that there are many hundreds of jobs and the best coaches don't stay unemployed for very long. Surely the US can do better than that. Especially hosting the World Cup, which again, will inevitably be the biggest and most successful World Cup ever (surpassing 1994).

===

2. How much better do teams perform when hosting the World Cup compared to when they are not hosting it? How much better when hosting compared to when the World Cup is not being held on their home continent? Given Mex/Can are co-hosting this one, the home continent thing seems even more relevant as there's no other country in Concacaf that could even manage it. What's the % probability jump for non-Brazil countries winning a World Cup while hosting vs not hosting?

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah this whole CHARADE of having to clear his head and see what he wants to do next is BOGUS MUMBO JUMBO

every micro decision this guy has made as USMNT manager has been with the intention of maintaining his reign of mediocrtity in perpetuity

there's zero chance he walks away on his own...

and, yeah, never revealing that fact makes it more likely and lengthens his timeline so he will pretend if he needs to that he might choose to not do it.

nbarbour and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Harbaugh analogy doesn’t really work here. John Harbaugh did play D1 college football, and was an assistant coach at both the college level and the NFL level before he was an NFL coach. The NFL is the highest level of the sport, so being an assistant there is pretty adequate experience for being a head coach.

You don’t have to have been a high level player to have been a good coach, but MLS is not the same caliber of top 5 leagues, and coaching there is not the same level as the World Cup. It’s growing and guys like Jesse Marsch are blazing the trail for US coaches, but the US still has a ton of work to do in how we develop coaches.

That’s why when we are thinking of national team coaches, high level playing experience matters as does having played in the World Cup before. Berhalter and Cherundolo for instance both have UEFA A licenses, which is considered a much better credential than the USSF A license. That has a lot to do with the fact that they spent so much time playing in Europe. The player pool is also just more likely to respect someone with those kinds of credentials.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg has to convince USSF that he's got legitimate interest outside MLS, so he can get that bumped up to $1.5 or even $2 million a year...

Remember that when US Soccer re-signed Klinsmann, there were "reports" he was going to Tottenham... Feel free to check Klinsmann's Wikipedia page to see just how in-demand he's been as a coach post-USMNT.

RalleeMonkey and IndividualEleven repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Earnie wants the team to continue with the single-pivot 433 then the next coach should have extensive club experience with the formation. GGG, a 4231 guys, really struggled at times. The team never truly achieved liftoff when using 433 under him.

11. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Sounds like a smart plan of attack for a team with a strong striker.

nbarbour and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Most of the guys you mentioned coach, or did, in MLS, and the dude in Seattle has been better. I’m struggling to see how respect, or lack there of, translates into anything tangible.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's like gregg had a really nice car..... but only drove it cuz he was working as a valet.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he hadnt flamed out yet with the USMNT...that hurt his value

he also was the GM or whatever of Hertha iirc

but he burned that bridge real quick

after that, yeah, probably hard to get more decent gigs

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is they have experience beyond MLS, which is something Schmetzer can’t say. Schmetzer has also been the beneficiary of one of the best run organizations in MLS. Of all people I have nothing against MLS, but experience at the highest level of the sport counts for something.

Even Jesse Marsch had to go be an assistant in Europe first.

You’re also much more likely to see European interest in both Cherundolo and Berhalter than you would in Schmetzer. If he doesn’t get the USMNT job, Cherundolo is probably the most likely American coach to go abroad just given his background.

Marko72 repped this.
  16. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I get that, but that experience hasn’t helped them beat him…. and doesn’t the fact that one of the best run organizations chooses him also count in his favor?

My only point is that winning is as good of an indicator as credentials or playing success or the perception of someone’s ability when an assistant. I’d want to hear a plan from someone like that.

I like Cherundolo as well…and would definitely want to hear a plan from him too. The rest don’t really move me much.

17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing you are missing is Schmetzer is a career #2. He was Sigi's assistant for 8 years at Seattle and despite their success no other club hired him for the head job. He got the interim in 2016 after Sigi was fired, went on a run won the job and got hired permanently. He has won 2 MLS cup but so has Porter.

He is considered a Seattle systems guy and there is doubt if he could have success elsewhere in MLS never mind the USMNT.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Schmetzer has also won a CCL, which Porter hasn't won. But let's face it, Schmetzer doesn't have a Euro-pedigree of any sort.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Tell man and a couple others have come out and said that there have been no negotiations between Berhalter and USSF

IndividualEleven and Kirium repped this.
  20. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    So two MLS cups and a CCL in 6 years?

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Seattle didn’t make the playoffs this year so it’s not as if Schmetzer is running rampant over the other MLS teams. Seattle has done well but they haven’t been the dominant team in MLS. I’d prefer Bob Bradley to Schmetzer as USMNT coach.

The other coaches I’m talking about have also won in MLS too (Cherundolo, Wolff, and Vanney). I’d also prefer Curtin to Schmetzer.

It was Lagerway who made Seattle one of the best run organizations, not Schmetzer. When he was at RSL, Kreis was the hot coach in MLS and that ended up not working out.

22. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent .... take your time. This is a critical decision and it must be a good one.

nbarbour repped this.
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Team pecking order, it would seem. The same way that Musah called off Acosta and took a free kick even though it's one of the few things that Acosta's undeniably better at than almost anybody on the squad. The manager can have something to say about that, but it doesn't seem like Berhalter really involves himself with that. It really feels like the team alpha dog takes the set pieces, whether or not he's actually good at taking them.

FWIW, Pulisic is pretty good at taking penalties.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    When you think of Earnie Stewart and Brian McBride and Cindy Parlow, the first word that comes comes to mind is "amateur?" Truly? And then you compound by exclaiming repeatedly that we're happy to be mediocre? Who exactly is happy to be mediocre? WHO? How on earth do you think you are entitled to conclude that?

I don't know where some of you get your prejudices from, but it's evident that they don't bear much similarity to the actual world and they die really, really hard.

Grumpy in LA, don Lamb and tomásbernal repped this.
  25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I assume he means that they are happy with decisions (and decision processes) that result in mediocrity, not that they (or you) believe that that is what they are doing.

xbhaskarx repped this.