Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the big thing is that he's probably not leaving a top 5 league level job for the national team. And neither would Marsch or Matterazzo. Though Marsch would take it right now that he's between jobs. I think with Cherundolo it's not that he wouldn't take it in 2030 or a later cycle, but the timing might not line up then. Whereas he almost certainly takes it at current. LAFC can even hire Berhalter as his replacement.

2. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite his comments on MLS roster rules, I'd be pretty surprised if he wanted to leave at this point. The squad is one of the most talented in the league, with opportunities to add more players to push for more trophies. Now it would make far more sense for Greg Vanney to leave LA given their transfer ban, fan protest, etc. Gregg played for the Galaxy too right? Maybe there's a Chris Klein connection there.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's actively looking to leave LAFC. But I don't think he turns down the USMNT job if it's offered.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually a good question and I'm wondering if anyone has asked him (meaning press). They should ask all of the obvious ones in MLS (and around the world _hey Mr Klopp ...) :laugh::ROFLMAO:

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolo was a USMNT assistant under Sarachan in '18 and at that time said that he wanted to manage the US at some point in the future.

russ, deejay, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be sacrilegious to some but I like what I have seen from Hudson so far, especially player selection. The January camp matches looked organized and clearly an attacking 4-3-3 style of play without the robotic read-progressions that often plagued Berhalter's teams.

Bob Bradley was also an interim, just saying...

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like there's very little chance that Hudson gets to be the full time coach, but depending on how things go they might give him the Olympic team or something like that.

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I also think Hudson knows he is basically interviewing for other jobs. He was supposed to become an assistant for Houston before becoming interim coach. I do think he still has the stink on him from his Rapids tenure so he's trying to show he's grown.

Of course there are rumors that both Oman and Iran are interested in him as well so who knows but I do agree that it's highly unlikely he gets the position.

I do have a feeling that the USMNT coach may be someone we aren't really discussing though

Boysinblue, Winoman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just hoping that Real Madrid and Ancelotti decide that it's time to part ways and that he's really serious about his next stop being international management.

Of course I don't think Brazil has hired a coach yet either.

The comments were also pretty good from the USSF meetings in terms of being willing to pay what it takes to hire a top coach.

I think there are four American candidates (Berhalter, Curtin, Cherundolo, and Marsch), and to the extent we hire a foreign coach that's much more likely to be someone we aren't really discussing.

edcrocker and Boysinblue repped this.
  10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think it's very unlikely, but I could see a scenario for Hudson that looks something like this:

1) The players really want Berhalter back, but the Fed wants to turn the page, so Hudson becomes a compromise candidate as someone who is not Berhalter but will continue to build off the base Berhalter created.

2) Hudson has the team playing REALLY well through NL and GC, not just winning both, but soundly beating Mexico and Canada along the way.

3) The Fed can't get many other coaches interested. If it comes down to, say, Curtin, Marsch, Henry, and Hudson, and Hudson has the team steamrolling through the regional tournaments...

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Given the timeline it seems that the federation is gunning for a European based coach. Buying the contract of an MLS coach mid-season would be expensive.

RossD and largegarlic repped this.
  12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Unless the coach has an out clause for the USMNT job.

tomásbernal repped this.
  13. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His performances in the Champions League are a huge turnoff, he doesn't cross my 'Cherundolo line'

14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #3639 schrutebuck, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    One feather in Conte's cap is an unambiguously successful tenure as Italy manager. A respectable run to qualify for Euro 2016. Wins in the tournament over Belgium and Sweden, then Spain in the knockouts, and a respectable draw and elimination against Germany.

It was an Italy team with lower expectations than usual too; of course, it's still Italy.

gjackson2207, nobody and gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gogorath and tomásbernal repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Vieira, Sampaoli, Henry, Conte, Marsch, Curtin and Dolo there is a good choice to be made. Of course, as others have noted, there are likely to be a bunch of foreign coaches that could be considered that are completely off the BS radar.

nobody repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there will still will also be alot of coaches in Europe who leave their jobs between now and the end of the season. We won't be able to poach a sitting top 5 level coach, but someone like a Vieria or Sampaoli is in the range of who might be gettable if they are out of a job. And there will probably be others in that category over the next few months.

Boysinblue and nobody repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I like Vieira as a coach but I think his playoff results are mediocre. He is more of a system guy than a game management guy. He certainly doesn't reach the Cherundolo line in playoffs.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The next new coach probably should have the following profile:
    • Works within the current 4-3-3 scheme that we use. That is probably most coaches.
    • Improves offensive fluidity without sacrificing defense too much, if at all.
    • A game management/playoff expert.
    I'm not a big Mourinho fan but this does seem to fit him. The issue is, of course, if his style of man-management would work with this team. From what I have heard he will switch from hot and cold in his relationships with the players. A button-pusher if you will. That might work, or not, it's hard for me to tell with this young group. The second issue is that he is not familiar with the international game but few good coaches are so I am not giving that as big a factor as the others.

The best fit, in my eyes, is Cherundolo. His game management has been really, really good. His familiarity with the German style should make it easy for him to jump in to the current USMNT tactics. His communicative style of man-management should be an easy adjustment for the team. I just don't think that his contract will allow him to be a candidate come summer.

edcrocker and The Clientele repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I like how Sampaoli's teams play but I have heard some things about him as a man manager and questions about his commitment these days.

But that said, Sevilla seems to be a train wreck no matter the coach, and he does done well coaching national teams before, presses, can coach a possession system, etc.

Boysinblue and gomichigan24 repped this.
  21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USOutlaw16, tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughtful, transparent, mature. Tim Ream for Next Coach?

[re: Gio]
    And you know, to see him come in here with that attitude and the workrate and the desire to be a part of the group and just get back on level terms with everyone without having to overly address it has been a big positive for all the guys to see.'

Ream says that he has personally addressed what happened with Gio Reyna, but declined to reveal the subject of their conversations.

'Yes, I have, I've had individual conversations with him. Those will stay between between him and I. Because I think that's important to have that kind of line of communication and trust between players, between teammates, between... groups.

'I've had conversations with him, but those conversations and, you know, what he's feeling, what he's seeing, what his worries may be, will stay between him and I because I think that's important to allow him to move past everything that's happened.

'And I think it's important for all of us to be able to move past that and work together as a team.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...brought-locker-room-Gio-Reyna-wants-here.html

xbhaskarx, TOAzer, Pegasus and 1 other person repped this.
  23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesus christ, are our standards for a national team manager really this low? why are we not considering coorperate retreat ropes course fascilitators? 14 year old girls who can teach them how to make friendship bracelets? should we replace passing drills with three-legged races?

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough day at work?

USOutlaw16, tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  25. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I would not want Mourinho as our coach, but I will say that I think our players are humble and hardworking enough that I think they would respond to him better than a locker room full of Chelsea or United players would.

TOAzer repped this.