Next Coach

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by nbarbour, Dec 3, 2022.

1. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a whole lot of wrong packed into one post.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Germany's development philosophy is based on "developing a pro at 20". It's America that picks youth to win not develop. Sounds suspicious. I'm just not convinced with Chero's resume, frankly. At least I'm not convinced enough to agree he's a good choice for USMNT. I'm not seeing it.

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think short term thinking is endemic to the USA. It's a human problem.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting analysis. Are your referring to a specific post or all posts in this thread?

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why they can’t move faster as it seems like they sort of already have a new structure figured out already.

They shouldn’t rush just for the sake of hiring Marsch, but there’s no reason they couldn’t have a coach in place by the Nations League Finals.

Similarly I don’t think the pool of people interested in the sporting director job who are also qualified is going to be that long.

gogorath repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though indicative of the fact that it’s hard to hire good coaches for international jobs. And Belgium is a fairly good job as far as international management jobs go.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2757 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    I never said Marsch is a versatile coach, that would be Ancelotti. I never said that Berhalter is an inflexible ideologue, that is a flat out lie.

My negative viewpoint on Berhalter is due to his player selections which border on negligent bias or plain incompetence. Over his tenure he has selected and promoted players who are not international quality over players who are. I also believe that his attempts to install a complex read-progression system into a NT squad has led to the squad significantly underperforming, at times looking, slow, robotic and listless.

My opinions on GB are clearly documented in many threads including the Coaching System thread, as are the other posters, despite their revisionist statements.

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2759 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    I am maybe Dolo's first and biggest supporter for the USMNT job in this forum but the facts are that Hannover got relegated after he was appointed as assistant coach, that was one reason he took their U17 job.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think the Sporting Director/GM job could be pretty important. I would not want a poor hire. But that said, there's no reason for it to take six months. I sincerely hope they were publicly putting the longest timeline possible out there to manage expectations.

But this should be something prioritized, and they shouldn't dither waiting for the next board meeting or whatever.

As for the structure, they are going to copy the women's. They don't need the consultant to repeat it back to them. Just do it.

Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  11. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2761 Papin, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    That's just flat out wrong. Sinisterra, Gnonto, Harrison, Summerville are all effective wide attacking players. Jesse's directive to the team was to be narrow on attack. He had it printed out and posted in the dressing room ffs. He stated in two separate press conferences that he wanted a narrow attack because the goal is in the center of the end line, not in the corners. Yes, he actually said that. He took players who were used to playing wide and asked them to play narrow because that's how he wants his team to play. It's idiotic and easy to adjust to when the team has no plan B. In the end he was rightfully fired. That's now two clubs in a row where the players got frustrated with him for his tactics and his stubbornness.

russ and gogorath repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2762 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Feb 9, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    Gnonto is a passable EPL level wide attacker. Sinisterra is young with promise but is a poor crosser of the ball. Harrison is a good Championship level wide attacker and below average at the EPL level. he is barely better centrally. Very clear most of the season and anyone who watched the match v Man U today should have seen that.

Taking a manager's comment at a presser out of context is not very meaningful.

Jesse kept them up last year but they have underperformed this year and he should have been fired that is life in the big leagues. Hopefully they get a new manager bounce and with their new arrivals stay up. I was excited to see Adams and McKennie in a double pivot something I have talked about since 2017.

Marsch is still the best and most USMNT-legacy manager option by far. I hope that the USSF goes after the best manager available, not just US legacy.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming this is accurate as it was retweeted by Herc Gomez...

Diego Cocca, Tigres --> El Tri

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think who we hire is super important, I just don’t think there’s any need for it to take as long as they’ve indicated.

I also think the Sporting Director is generally not a super attractive gig, especially for non American candidates. We’re mostly looking at candidates from MLS and Americans who have worked abroad like Dane Murphy. Shouldn’t be hard to figure out the list of candidates and get moving on the process.

Ball Chucking Hack repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed.

All Cone said was she'd like the Sporting Director in place by July 20th. Basically, she wants that hire done before the Women's World Cup.

Earnie Stewart's role as Sporting Director encompasses the senior USMNT, senior USWNT, and all youth teams. So who the hell knows what kind of candidates there will be?

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't think Stewart did a ton in practice when it came to the women's team as their GM is the one who has responsibility when it comes to hiring the coach and the women's youth teams. Based on the Athletic article it sounds like they are going to replicate the same thing on the men's side and create a new position which covers some of the other stuff Stewart handled (overseeing refereeing, analytics, all other US Soccer teams, etc).

Either way it's not the sort of job that someone who is serving as the sporting director at a European club is going to have much interest in. You're more likely to get an American candidate whose interest is very linked to the fact that it's a job with US Soccer. Alot of people have speculated that Carlos Bocanegra would be a candidate as well mostly because he's a former USMNT player.

The other thing the Athletic guys noted in their podcast discussing this is that when Earnie Stewart got the US Soccer job he was making way more (around 800,000) than MLS equivalents. These days MLS front office guys are making much more and the pay disparity doesn't really exist like it did.

We spend a lot of time talking about whether the USMNT job is an attractive job or not. The sporting director job is definitely less attractive to potential candidates than the coaching job.

largegarlic repped this.
  17. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently a much more defensive coach

https://getconcacafed.substack.com/p/is-diego-cocca-the-manager-el-tri

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean if they think their talent level will be down next cycle, it’d make sense as an approach.

21. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Six months. And spoken with a passive, ugency-less voice. Is there an argument for how this timeline/attitude is reasonable/ not proof of USSF’s enduring incompetence?

22. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long should it take to find the right person to help decide the future of the U.S. program? Does seem like this kind of thing might require some time to get it right, rather than rush to hire someone just to appease the anxiety prone supporters.

Mike03, QuakeAttack, Shabs and 3 others repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, there is.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of Ancelotti to Brazil chatter today and some reports from Brazil he’s taken the job.