Next coach?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Jun 21, 2021.

?

Next coach?

1. Jorge Jesus

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Jose Mourinho

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paulo Fonseca

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Sergio Conceicao

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Leonardo Jardim

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Nuno

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Vitor Pereira

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Ruben Amorim

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Marco Silva

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Carlos Queiroz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Paulo Bento

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Andre Villas Boas

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  13. Foreign Manager

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Nashorn88

Nashorn88 New Member

Nov 15, 2021
    Marco Silva or Jose.

3. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    What I have been saying for many years. The problem is the Portuguese Federation. We need to clean house from the top. I would love to see someone like Figo head that up. We have dinosaurs picking dinosaurs . Clean house

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Like we all knew was gonna happen. Santos will only leave if he fails to qualify for a tournament. That's our expectation, just qualify and see what happens.

They won't even fire him, I think if he fails to qualify he will step down himself, I consider him to be someone who would realize that himself but if he didn't then my consideration for him would only drop hard.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    The dinosaur is still there?

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos is done....players lost confidence. You need an energy guy in there.

7. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Santos forever !

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Joao Herdman

9. Tonel

Tonel Member

Sporting
    Aug 22, 2021
    Herdman is who AVB wishes he would be instead of a motorsports scrub

10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    W€ll, it s€€ms pr€tty obvious to m€.

If Cristiano is done with him, I'm sure the FPF would be willing to pay Santos' termination clause, though.

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Surprised to see that Paulo Bento doesn't have a single vote in the poll. He's a good manager.
    He reached the semi-finals at the EUROs with a less talented squad in 2012.

He's coaching South Korea at the moment. He has them playing a very European brand of football with high pressing and quick short passing.
    Watch out for South Korea to make some noise in Qatar.
    If an Asian side makes it to the knockout stage my money is on South Korea with Bento this time.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bento over-achieved with one of our worst generations but i don't see the federation willing to revisit past managers.

13. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    We hired Failroz twice …

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Basically we are getting a new manager in April once we fail to qualify. It was a great 20 year run of qualifying for everything but we are not a solid European team anymore.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  15. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    But but I thought this was the best Portugal
    Side Eva!!!!111 bs

as much as Santos has been bad of late, let’s not let the players off the hook either. They are mostly overrated bums. What has Bruno fernandes or Felix ever done at national level?

cancelo is a terrible defender, he looks good on man city because they dominate possession every game.

we have 1 good defender: Ruben dias. The rest are mostly dinosaurs. Mourinho wasn’t good enough to start in 2016 but now he’s apparently first choice for Santos .

Jota sucks ass and I would rather have Today’s Orlando City Nani than Diogo jota.

In 2016 all our midfielders are in good form and we had a balanced team, prime Ronaldo and Pepe, and Quaresma, Nani, Moutinho we’re all at around the peak of their powers.

16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's an absurd statement. Don't underestimate was a new coach, system and tactics can do for a team.

eurodad repped this.
  17. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    A good coach can make Portugal a serious threat.

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I fear even if he leaves another "dinosaur" is going to get the job, seems everyone expects managers on the tail end of their career to take the NT job.

For me, without looking at foreign coaches, what we need is a guy that comes in and establishes a style of play and a game model that we identify with. Luis Enrique isn't afraid to call up 17 yr Olds if they fit the Spain way of playing. Germany under Flick is coming back.

For me, Vitor Pereira or Leonardo Jardim are probably the best options.

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Vitor Pereira would be a great option. Dude is alpha af

parkben1 and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton

Wow. A coach will not make a team more talented but a good coach can set up a team to bring out the best they can be collectively. This idiot coach is now going into the playoffs and he still has not made up his mind on what his starting line up or even set up is. Every wonder why Bruno plays well along side of Ronaldo with Man U but can not at our NT level ? I could go on for ever with coaching errors. Im not saying that we are top 3 in the world but we are definitely top 10 but are not playing like it. Thats on our coach

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we are not top 10. We threw away the first Serb game and were dominated in the last. We could not do anything vs Ireland. There is no top 10 team that would not win all 3 games by a convincing amount let alone be dominated. Santos is an idiot but the players are on the field.

Bruno needs 6 players all to facilitate time and space for him while he stays up in attack. Portugal does not have these type of players which renders him useless especially when he's asked to play the wing. But even when he goes central all he does is turn the ball over because he is given no time. He is a fraud as on his own he cannot create anything.

Bernardo was ruined by Pep and should have been our main CAM instead of a winger. The damage is done to him and his confidence is all gone.

Moutinho still is a better CM technically than the rest we got but has no legs anymore.

Neves has peaked and is already irrelevant. he doesn't ever even try to shoot long range which was his hallmark.

Danilo doesn't know what position he is supposed to play and is too slow to be a CDM in this era of football

William is a joke

Diogo Jota was ruined at the Euro and has probably already peaked and is now showing he doesn't have it anymore.

Cristiano should be a number 9 ..or a CM as he still has great passing and vision but does not have the legs to play on the wing or cut inside anymore.

Leao is a flop. he is successful in Milan because the system suits him. On any Portugal side he is woeful.

Felix is a flat out JOKE at this point. Not even once has he done anything positive for Portugal. He came on to seal Portugal's fate as losers.

Renato is the only one who looked like he wanted to win. Cristiano in the past would come back and do everything he could but vs Serbia he was content on going out for a stroll.

Rui Patricio is passed it and Anthony Lopes or Sa should have been fighting these qualifiers for the starting role. I think late March will be Rui, Moutinho's and others last appearance for Portugal going from heroes in 2016 to utter failures. A sad end to what was a great achievement ruined by complacency and living off that memory. Hell even Eder went out looking like a champ because despite being the biggest hero there was no point on calling him based on past glory.

22. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    And yet we won the Euro with a much lesser team and without Ronaldo for the final game. Teams have changed. Even the smaller teams are playing much better organized team defence. They have access to better coaching and development.
    Our coach has done nothing to adapt. He watches an entire first half while the apposing team has 5 in the midfield and we have only 3 and we wonder why we are loosing every battle for the ball. lol He is a joke. Yes we have some players that we overvalue but we are collectively much better than this. We are not playing like a top 10 team but in my humble opinion, coached properly we are definitely top ten calibre

23. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Lol!!! He got my vote. Is this the Benfica midfielder who played in the late 80s and early 90s, if so he was one of my favorite players.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Vitor Pereira would be interesting but his contract at his club does not end until 2023. Unless he gets sacked this season, it's not looking like it's going to be him.

25. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Wrong guy, I was think of Vitor Paneira