Next coach?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Jun 21, 2021.

?

Next coach?

1. Jorge Jesus

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Jose Mourinho

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paulo Fonseca

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Sergio Conceicao

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Leonardo Jardim

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Nuno

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Vitor Pereira

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Ruben Amorim

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Marco Silva

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Carlos Queiroz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Paulo Bento

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Andre Villas Boas

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  13. Foreign Manager

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Jardim loves the 4-3-3, he's also madeirense maybe that will go a long way with CR7 lol

Açores57 repped this.
  2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I was also thinking this since last night. But other than a new manager and a preferred formation. Portugal has such a talented pool of players but we have no identity. Our style of play is to rely on individuals to resolve games.

When you think of Spain, Germany, France, Italy, no matter the group, you can identify a philosophy. What is our philosophy? Hoof it to CR7 and hope he produces?

3. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think AVB is the best bet. Young, plays a more offensive game and has had some great success in different countries.

I'm literally praying we hear that FS is either fired or he has resigned. But it looks like he thinks he can bring this team to the World Cup next year... SMH.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lets see if we even finish 1st in qualifying .... but even then, we'll get a group with Iran or something where we'll barely win

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    AVB wants to be the FC Porto president so I don't think he will ever coach the NT unless PDC lives to a hundred.

6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the only way Santos will be fired is if we fail to qualify or stumble in qualification. Which is very possible with him.

Otherwise, i think we are stuck with him. The Portuguese Media does not seem to be criticizing him, the criticizing seems to be coming from media outside of Portugal. Which is really odd.

palynka repped this.
  7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Watching Croatia and Switzerland, and even Spain today was depressing. Losing or under pressure, and they still played quality soccer in a positive manner and explored hitting France etc behind the fullbacks, and remained lucid enough to know where the spaces were between the lines with penetrating passes through midfield and quick interchanges of fluid passing plays to break down teams.

Where was that with us? Where was our bombarding runs down the wings by our fullbacks to pressure their fullbacks? We were so static and cautious. Where was our swift passing plays to break down teams through the middle and unleash penetrating passes when we possess better players. Why do we have no one in the middle when our entire game plan seems to be passing it around the backline, rely on a Sanches run to move it forward, get it outwide, then cross it in to 1 person.

We were taking shots from 25 yards when we had so much space, look at Switzerland. They recognized France were giving them acres in midfield and played though them to break and penetrate the lines to get into the box the last 10 minutes or place it on a forwards foot at the edge of the box.

It's coaching.

Agonizing to realize we have this clown at the helm for another tournament with this generation.

8. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I personally dont think the u21s perform well. We consistently have the best team in recent years and havent won anything.

9. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    thank Christ someone else sees this, I appreciate that Rui Jorge is an attacking coach but he’s failed over & over to be fair. We didn’t qualify for the Olympics, we’ve Not won any trophies during his tenure despite the obvious talent.

10. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There's still a feeling of debt towards him and the media knows he won't be sacked, which sucks because the next WC is a golden opportunity with many teams looking shaky (including us, unfortunately).

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The only player I saw marking runs hitting the wing was Semedo and Rafa

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    This guy makes a good point about Santos and also thinks he shout be replaced by one of the many great young coaches we have

eurodad repped this.
  13. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    How about Paulo Sousa?

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Not sure after Poland kinda flopped.

15. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    True, I didn't see them play but they apparently played attacking football. They just don't have the talent IMO. Might watch a Poland game.

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Dutch sacked De Boer.

FPF still living in 2016. It's time already

17. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ...um no.

Disastrous at club level as well.

SCP_16 repped this.
  18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL Well, De Boer should never have been hired TBH. Dude was a catastrophic failure at Inter and Crystal Palace. Why did they even hire him to begin with?

I agree that FPF need to wash their hands of Santos, but his Euro 2016 win means he's infallible in the eyes of the FPF.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Didn't he average 2 sacks per year?

20. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When is Jose Mourinho going to coach the National Team? Like seriously... Maybe he's past his prime, maybe not... i don't know. But it's kinda crazy that he never ended up being the NT coach to this day.

I don't know how well he will do at Roma, I think it was a bad decision but what do I know...

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No thanks. Don't need another Santos 2.0 with zero attacking identity.

Also, why are we just limiting ourselves to Portuguese coaches?

22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How is it crazy? He was far too young up until now to coach a national team..and even then he wanted ot help be a caretaker while at Real Madrid.

If he's the Mourinho that coached Porto/Inter/Chelsea/Real Madrid, it would be amazing.

If he's the Mourinho of Chelsea/Manchester United/Tottenham the last 7 years...not so good.

23. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If it was up to most of you guys we would of still had no tournament victories, I like the Rui Costa-Figo era too but we were like Brasil 1982, 20 years later. Mourinho would be a great Portuguese coach and I do not even really like the Guy, like I do not really like Ronaldo either, but I want the other trophy, the one we are missing. I even think Conceição would be a good coach for us, and he really gets up my nose.

Mourinho Will be the Portuguese coach someday barring early death or getting caught in ilegal matters etc.

24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He will, but it's obvious that Mourinho hasn't adapted to the modern personalities and style of play that's currently in place. Real Madrid and the battles vs Guardiola broke him as well, never been the same after that.

25. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why is bento on this list? Lol!

Nuno is an interesting pick but how about a foreign coach?