Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Concacaf

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by sidspaceman, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Next Club World Championship To Be Played In

i think mls would only get one spot, maybe 2 if they won the ccc, but then again that's a big if.

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any News?

It's less than 17 months before this puppy is supposed to get started. Any news on who is hosting? Bid process? Match format? Number of teams per continent?

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Concacaf

Why not make the usual compromise? Put it in L.A., and let a Spanish-speaking U.S. network, FSW, and a Mexican newtork televise it.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Conc

I'm pretty sure it is admittedly not a tournament of the best teams in the world. That would be 16 European teams, maybe putting two South American teams in. Just like the World Cup does not comprise the world's top 32 teams, this tournament must have representatives from each region. That's more of a problem, competitively, for clubs than it is for national teams. When so many national teams' players play for European clubs, almost every team in the WC has European experience. A nation's top clubs do not often have the nation's best players, particularly when that nation is not England, Spain, Italy, or Germany.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must strongly disagree with the person who said the Club World Championship is a joke. This was the thinking for the first edition!! After all everyone knew that the european super clubs would take it all.... Instead we got a full Manchester United squad getting eliminated in the early going, and Real Madrid losing the third place game to Necaxa. The champions were not a surprise to anyone who follows the talent in the Brazilian league but to all the "elitists" it was a surprise to see Corinthians come out on top. Even the temas that didnt win a medal like Hearts of Oak proved to be scrappier than everybody thought... If anything, the inital edition of this tournament proved that this is a legitimate competition where teams will have to work hard to win it all. Just imagine what a long road the teams have to go through just to qualify for the tournament!!!

I have always said that the European leagues are the ones where the most money, marketing, and hype are at. And yes they also contain some of the most storied teams in soccer history and damn good players to go withthose teams---but being the richest team in the world doesnt necessarily mean you're going to win every time or that you have the most talent. The European teams can no longer afford to lay back and count on their "pedigree" to win games-- otherwise it will be another embarrasing Club World Championship for them.

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the URL. So it seemingly has changed from a firm 16 teams, to "12 to 16" teams. (Let me guess: 13? 15?) That, and the fact that the press release announcing the 2005 tournament is not on the Fifa CWC page ( http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/event/index,2000,1130.html ) tell me this might be in limbo after all.

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Conc

Cruzeiro
    Santos
    Boca Juniors
    AC Milan
    Manchester United
    Arsenal
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Porto
    PSG
    River Plate
    Cienciano
    Celtic
    CONCACAF host team (Cruz Azul, DC United or *insert unknown Canadian team here*)

Don't tell me this doesn't sound like a true WCC?

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Intreasting so then the tourney would be held in Tokyo?

11. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh, great. Now we would have 2 world club decisions in Tokyo (WCC and Toyota ICC). :rolleyes:

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did you read the link SwissGCZ posted?

It says that Fifa officials are looking into the idea of expanding the current Intercontinental Cup to 6 teams.

Or did you just open your mouth without knowing what the hell you are talking about?

13. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I admit that I didn't bother to read the article, but reading your reply I assumed they had transferred the WCC to Japan, which doesn't justify your angry response. My sarcasm was directed to the "news", not to you.

What's your problem with me lately? If you have issues let's just get outside and resolve this for once.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have no problem with you I just hate it when people spout off on things they have no clue about. It was obvious by your response that you hadn't taken the time to read the link.

You really need to lighten up your always reading things the wrong way.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Unfortunately the article doesn't go into a whole lot of detail. Basically the article suggests that this new tournament would replace the current CWC and the Intercontinetal Cup. Maybe Fifa is planning to "absorb" the Intercontinental Cup, much like they did with the Confederations Cup (formerly known as the King Fahd Cup).

Would it still be held in Tokyo? Well the final is supposed to be a two-legged affair, and that's all the article really says. I'm sure specifics on the proposed format will surface soon elsewhere...

16. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Next Club World Championship To Be Played In Conc

Actually, it doesn't sound like a true WCC

NO Africa teams
    NO Asia teams
    NO Australia teams
    10 Euro teams in your group, including...
    Celtic (?)

Concacaf, as the host region, would get 2...one for the host, another for the champ
    Africa would get one
    Asia would get one (at least--political pressure might deliver them 2)
    Australia would get one
    S. America 3 or 4

Take a few teams away from Europe, and you've probably got a balance that's realistic.

While Eurocentric folks might not like it, they didn't exactly kick serious ass in the last event, so they don't deserve the majority of the teams, despite the fact that a great majority of the worlds most famous and richest teams are there.

Besides, getting back to your point, it is a WORLD Club championship. It's not the Champions League w/ a couple of powerful interlopers.

17. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Although I'm a big fan of the Euro game, the attitude of the Eurocentrics on their supposed
    superiority reminds me of the attitude of we Canadians in hockey until our professionals were shocked by the incredible play of the Soviets in the 1972 Summit Series. Except that we got the message.

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well it wont be played in CONCACAF after all.

No. of teams: 6 – the champions of each confederation’s club championship in the respective year
    - No. of matches: 7
    - Number of match days: 4
    - Duration: 8 days
    - Date: December 2005
    - Host country: Japan

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/mrel,74289.html

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    " The teams from Europe and South America will both be seeded and enter the championship at the semi-final stage. They will therefore each play only two matches within the space of a few days, a solution that will improve the balance in respect to the teams’ long journey to and from Japan.

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter commended this format not only as a solution to suit all parties, but also as “an expression of solidarity in world football”. "

1) Glad to know all the team will be on an equal footing?

2) Uh “an expression of solidarity in world football”. ? No, more like European bureaucrats pushing their ideas down the rest of the worlds throats.

20. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So much for the carrot that CONCACAF dangled in front of teams to participate in the CONCACAF Champions tourney.

Basically, Toluca loses their slot in the the new format Club Championships after winning last year's CONCACAF tourney and this year's tourney is also meaningless. Won't be until next year that the winner qualifies for the new Club Championship.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That's unfortunate for Toluca, Pachuca and Monterrey, but at least we finally have clarity...

22. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I liked the old proposed format of 16 teams, rotating host nations, and it being a summer tourney.

I can see why they are trimming down the number of games and the period in which they are played, but it makes for it being less of a big event than it could have been.

It's still unclear if the championship is going to always be played in Japan. The FIFA article seems to imply that it will for 2005 and 2006.

The CONCACAF champions cup basically has no real reward now. It will be interesting to see if any team fields starting players.

23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What a blow for Pachuca and Monterrey 1st no Copa Libertadores and now no World Club Championship.

24. Monkeyboy2000

Monkeyboy2000 Member

Jan 27, 2000
    San Fran Bay Area
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Exactly. Why in the heck would Pachuca or Monterrey risk playing their starters ? The $100,000 grand prize ? Not likely.

By the way, did you read the letter from Leoz to Johansson regarding the FIFA announcement ? Here it is. Things should get interesting.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As I'm sure you've seen on the Fifa board, a 16 team tournament is simply not feasible. The current ICC contract is until 2006, so that might be the reason Fifa will hold it there until then.

Btw, do you know if MFL teams will be allowed to qualify through the Copa Libertadores? (My guess is no)