News: Shearer: Without Rooney Man Utd would be nowhere

Discussion in 'Italy: News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jan 25, 2010.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer admits Manchester United need Wayne Rooney fit for their title challenge to stay on course.

After watching Rooney's four-goal masterclass in the 4-0 defeat of Hull at the weekend, Shearer told BBC Radio Five Live: "They would not be where they are in the league (without Rooney).

"He has carried them at times but he is a great player and that's what great players do.

"When the clubs need them they step forward."

Shearer also underlined Rooney's importance to England's World Cup ambitions, saying: "As important as he is to Manchester United, he is just as important to England, I don't think anyone should forget that.

"But on the other hand there were question marks. People were saying he has to step up his performance this year because of the loss of Ronaldo and boy has he done that.

"I think he has actually carried Manchester United on his own at times this season. That's saying something for the size of that particular club.

"I think his performances have been spectacular and I hope he's not peaking too soon, as an England fan."

More...