News: Poor start cost us – Birmingham’s McLeish

Discussion in 'Italy: News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish admitted a poor start cost his side a chance of continuing their unbeaten run.

The Blues were beaten 3-0 by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, ending a 15-match unbeaten streak and McLeish the players could only blame themselves for a lacklustre beginning.

"We shot ourselves in the foot with a bad start," said McLeish.

"It was most unlike us. We were caught flat-footed and that first goal was too easy. We're playing against a world-class side there.

"I don't think anyone has won here this season and they have battered better teams than us.

"We had chances at 2-0 and it would have been interesting had we got the goal back, but we never took the opportunities.”

Despite the loss, McLeish said he was proud of his sides performance against such quality opposition.

"I'm not disappointed with the players at all. They deserve tremendous credit for the run they have been on and they have the character to bounce back,” he added.

"Chelsea are a good side. They have the foreign flavour, the keep-ball and movement is excellent.

"They are one of the favourites for the Champions League, let alone the Premier League. We have kept the ball better than that and were wasteful in possession, but I'll forgive the players this one. There's no disgrace losing here."

More...