News On Chivas

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by dawgpound2, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Its surprising how worked up everyone is over the possibility of special rules for Chivas when you could drive a mack truck through the loopholes in the current rules. Between 3 internationals, youth internationals, and green card holders, Chivas could easily field a team of 11 within the current rules without a single player eligible for the US National Team.

2. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    If this owner would have a real choice, than he should build it in the city. Too many of the new SSS are being built in the suburbs. Yes, I know, land is cheaper out there, blah blah blah. I'm just fed up with sports complexes being in the middle of nowhere and you can only get to them by car. It's a pain in the ass, transportation-wise.

Even worse, it's cutting off many city dwellers from going to the matches, especially if they don't make much money and can't afford to attend. I thought we're supposed to be trying to get recent immigrants to become interested in MLS. Trying to get them to transfer some of their futbol passion to an MLS club. Well, most of them live in cities, not some barren suburb. How are we accomplishing the goal of making them MLS fans by putting new stadiums for "Dallas" and "Los Angeles" far outside the cities they claim to represent? It's a disgrace.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 100% for urban stadiums, but many of the studies I've seen recently say that this statement - particularly when talking about Mexican and Central American immigrants - is not really the case. There's a trend of immigration to small towns and suburbs, and not just in the Californias and the New Yorks, but just as much in the Iowas and North Carolinas.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Carson is actually easier to get to for a lot of Latinos south of LA and even in LA. Officially it's a "suburb" of LA, but it's literally minutes from parts of LA.

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: News On Chivas

There was an article in the UT the other day (okay, like 3 weeks ago) talking about how Spanos screwed the city and basically drove the Padres out of Qualcomm because he got all the money that Qualcomm was paying the stadium for naming rights. My point is, everyone isn't as mad at the Padres since we all know now that they only left because Moores was forced to sell off all the big/good players to kept the team alive thanks to selfish Spanos. Anyway, lets just hope that Spanos doesn't try to mess with MLS and bring them down too! The man is evil I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh sorry...lol jk

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to put this in perspective (and uclacarlos is dead bang right) the stadium in Carson is exactly the same distance from my downtown LA office as LAX. Depending on traffic, it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to get to either. Besides, people in LA are geared up to travelling by car to events, etc., its no big deal.

In fact, if you look as some of the dense population centers in the southeastern part of LA, it is easier and quicker to get to Carson than it is to Dodger Stadium. And its a heck of a lot closer than the Rose Bowl.