News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who is close to Dominguez in talent?

2. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Katty Martinez, Alicia Cervantes, just some of the top goal scorers this season

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Get back to me on that in about 5 years.

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Is everyone happy with the N&A news thread? I mean, do y'all like everything nice and tidy, or would you prefer folks posted more individual threads? I just figured I'd check in to see if anything could be done different these days since the traffic isn't near what it used to be.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like order. :) Really I do like a catch-all thread rather than a bunch of threads with only a couple of replies. But, traffic is super low nowadays, and I'm not sure it makes a difference one way or the other.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I know when we started this thread it was to prevent dozens of new threads with single news links when traffic was high. I'm not about to start housekeeping, but since I'm around I figure I'd ask. :)

7. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems to me that traffic has dropped across most forums in Big Soccer. However, there is a steady core of followers that remain. This is also a slow period for the USWNT.
    Bonnie Lass, I think you do a good job of moderating; and, readers feel free to start a new thread if they think it is an important enough topic.

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Definition of understatement. :coffee:

I hope we, little bunch of diehard supporters, are going to keep this place alive for as long as humanly feasible.

Bonnie Lass, JanBalk and jnielsen repped this.
  9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Thank you :) but I've not been an active mod (regular or super) for years now. I can move and change some things, if needed, but it seems like everyone's comfy with the forum, even if it's a bit slow.

CoachJon and jnielsen repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the US schedule,
    280452097_10159560982068941_4520784121105113245_n.jpg
    here's the stadium we play Mexico in, don't look as foreboding as Azteca Stadium, or is it?(hopefully not mile high too!)
    Estadio_Universitario_Concachampions.jpg

11. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    If Mexico doesn't win their first two games, this could be a very tense affair

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Women won the Deaflympics gold medal:

jnielsen, lil_one and cpthomas repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Dunn! She delivered a baby boy:

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, jackdoggy and lil_one repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022 NATIONAL SOCCER HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY

So proud of all three inductees, wonderful eloquent speeches. I really didn’t notice the male inductees as I was distracted by being seated 10 feet from Shannon Boxx at a different table.

ham.jpg

Boxx.jpg

Pearce.jpg

I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton,
    I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton,
    I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton, I talked with Linda Hamilton.

hamspeech.jpg

Linda absolutely stole the show with her induction speech…had the whole crowd in stitches. She must have had 20 family members and friends in the audience and they were raising H. which meant by definition I wasn’t the only one.:D Truly a pioneer and had a big role in the Origination of Awesomeness.

As could be predicted, I spent 30 minutes in close proximity to this particular display - - is it any wonder that I woke up today feeling 20 years younger.

fawcett.jpg

I will be lobbying the National Soccer HOF to have this display corrected - - “UNIVERSE”

World.jpg

Bonnie Lass, CoachJon and jnielsen repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lil_one repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, my! Just at the end of a so brilliant first season at OL!

At least she managed to live the whole season, including scoring in the Champions' League final and celebrating the win of the league, so she can't actually have any regret about 2021-2022.
    2022-2023, of course, will be an horse of a different colour: how likely is it that she recovers in time for WWC 2023 (I mean, being fit enough to be included in the US team)?

Just when they had back an Ada Hegerberg at Ballon d'Or levels, Olympique Lyonnais lose two key-players for next season with ACL injuries in Ellie Carpenter and Catarina Macario. I wonder how they will react, but that's of course a subject for a different thread... :coffee:

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She has a little over a year, so as long as the surgery goes well, I think its possible, even likely, that she can be fit enough in time. For most, 6-9 months seems to be the norm to get to running and some playing again with a a few months longer to get match fitness. And the WWC roster has space enough for a talented player like Macario even if she's only able to be a sub. It doesn't hurt that the USWNT has a bit of a history of bringing top players who are not fully fit, such as Rapinoe in 2016, only 6-7 months after her ACL tear, on an Olympic roster with much less room. I don't think the reasons for bringing Rapinoe then are quite the same as they would be for choosing to bring Macario, but the WWC roster size allows for a bit more flexibility.

Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Players are fully back playing in games right at the 9 month mark. She will be doing fitness and no contact earlier than that. At 12 months most are back to their original game form. She is an elite athlete with all the resources. I think she will be back in time. Maybe not the central focus as she was planned to be, but I think she will be on the roster, provided there are not other issues in the knee (like significant meniscus damage).

Semblance17, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It took Ada Hegerberg over 1 year & half to recover, so you don’t really know. This is the third Lyon player in less than an month to get an ACL, so wonder what that club’s doing wrong?

jnielsen repped this.
  21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    No one knows. But 1.5 years is really really long for an ACL recovery. The safe standard is 9 months return to play. Ada clearly had set backs because 1.5 years is way too long for a typical ACL.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A short interview with Andonovski is featured on the FIFA main site: https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/wo.../andonovski-usas-future-is-brighter-than-ever

One quote from it that's timely (about the CONCACAF W Championship): "The fact that it’s in Mexico makes it a lot harder for us. But that’s what makes it exciting too because I feel this young group needs to go through adversity as soon as possible. We can’t go into the World Cup with that being the first competition where they face that adversity, so to have Mexico in our group, playing in front of a full stadium that will be chanting against us, really excites me."

Namdynamo repped this.
  23. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A real shame about Macario's injury. No time off for French women's league? Yes, players can come back in a year, but they are rarely back to their "old selves" until a year and a half or two.

blissett repped this.
  24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The D1 finished 1st June and will restart 10 September. Trophée des championnes PSGv OL 27 August.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  25. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FDay_16239.jpeg
    Happy Father's Day to every Dad who has had a daughter that pulled on the Jersey for the Greatest Team in the Universe.

I'm going to speak with the folks at Hallmark Cards about establishing special, separate Holidays to commemorate and honored just the USWNT parents.

luvdagame repped this.