News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great read here:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...-in-terms-of-rebuilding-team-chemistrytactics

2. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    There were six players on the U.S. team that played anything approaching what could be called a "soccer season" in 2020. And I'm being quite liberal with the term.

Canada had 13 players who fit that description.
    Sweden had 22.
    Australia and Norway had 23.

It wasn't just that we didn't play in 2020, but also that the rest of the world did. The rest of the world enjoyed an advantage that we usually enjoy, and it showed.

Edited to acknowledge that this is Murray's quote, not MRAD12's.

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Anybody know how to watch the US/Sweden Olympic match? I'd like to see the match again before offering my dubious wisdom on why the U.S. lost.

Two impressions of the game I have are: (1) The Swedes surprised the U.S. with a high press and an aggressive offense while we were expecting them to be defensive; and (2) the Swedes flooded the U.S. left flank with their best offensive players and had a numerical advantage over Dunn and whoever was or should have been helping her.

kolabear repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #3779 hotjam2, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    don’t quite understand; the USWNT going to play at least 24 games this year alone (this is on par with most league/club players from around the world). Seventeen players get their salaries paid by USSF, it’s up to them if they want to play extra club ball

; you mentioned Norway as having 23 perfectly fit/or doing it the right way? They didn’t qualify for the Olympics nor did their NT looked at all impressive this year or last, loosing 0-7 to Holland & 0-4 to Germany’s B squad. Same thing with Australia; their record so far the year is 2 wins, 2 ties & 8 losses! By winning bronze, we did better than either of those two teams

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It still seems to be up at the NBCOlympics website for those with a cable subscription. Y'know it was just an impressive execution of a plan by Sweden . Or just a plain execution! I've rewatched a couple times and I may rewatch again because it's just kind of awesome to watch how good Sweden was against the top-ranked team and reigning World Cup champion.

Smallchief repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pearce has chosen to defer her induction until next year:

7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this yesterday morning and punted on attending Induction Ceremony.
    No Christie.......no jackdoggy.

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems the USWNT is talking to a US-born Spanish player, Damaris Egurrola, about making a one-time switch:

I am only aware of Sofia Huerta making a switch to the US previously.

JanBalk repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Huerta only played on Mexico’s youth, u17-20 squads. Egurrola debuted/got 8 minutes-1 cap credit with Spain’s senior NT in 2019, but hasn’t played for them since. Plus has played for the Basque NT(though their not officially recognized by FIFA).
    So is it allowed now to switch from one senior NT to another in woso?( other sports do it by paying an fee from one federation to another)

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as long as the matches were friendlies, players can do a one-time switch. It's the competitive matches (major tournaments and their qualifying tournaments) that cap-tie a player.

Does Leroux not count?

hotjam2 repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huerta had 4 caps & 2 goals for the Mexican senior team. All were in friendlies.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She probably does since she played in the (then) FIFA U19 World Cup for Canada in 2004. The one-time switch wasn't available until 2008.

15. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I didn't think U- matches cap-tied players.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They do not.

JanBalk repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth matches that are in FIFA or confed competitions (U20, U17 primarily) provisionally cap-tie a play. Once you are provisionally cap tied, you have to file a one-time switch if you want to change (subject to other eligibility rules).

lil_one repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like we should give a shout out to the former USWNT players who finished the NYC marathon yesterday:

And those times are not bad...about an 8:30/mile pace.

jnielsen, jackdoggy and blissett repped this.
  19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    This is how they sign it.
    [​IMG]

21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That movie was/is a bit weird for me. I really really enjoyed it on first viewing but after that it rapidly became harder to watch. I am not exactly sure why it is that way or what it is that began to grate after one viewing.
    I have noticed that in a few other movies like "Mars Attacks" and even the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." Some movies, for me, just give everything they have on first viewing.

The following is labeled as a spoiler due to it not being soccer related and if people want they can just ignore it.
    Show Spoiler

Of course there are others that get more pleasant to view the more you see them and that is sometimes true for truly bad movies like: "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "Invasion of the Bee Girls" and (The top movie of all time at getting better as you watch it again and again) "Plan 9 form Outer Space." One more that I still am not sure I like it on first viewing or on later viewings is "Killer Clowns from Outer Space"

But none of the movies involve soccer at all.

BTW: I have absolutely no idea why I choose to watch a bad movie again but I am thankful that I tried it on several movies and there are movies, like "It Came From Beneath the Sea." The octopus was less believable than the shark in Jaws 4.

Now, I have to go re-watch "Ishtar" or "Water World" to see if I misjudged them. As a cure for insomnia bad movies are very good but movies that seemed bad and then seem better on additional viewings are not good for the insomniac. One becomes afraid that you might miss something that makes it better than first thought.

Now I have a post that just barely mentioned soccer. I hope most people that are not interested in movies just bypass this.
    Show Spoiler

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Fifth Element is an awesome movie, even if its weird. Just hilarious in every way.

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not listened to much of the Snacks podcast (hosted by Sam Mewis and Lynn Williams), but the YouTube algorithm brought this one with Becky Sauerbrunn up for me and I really enjoyed it:

It touches on some unexpected topics like fertility and private vs public self as well as some of the more usual lighter stuff. I may go back and listen to some more of the episodes now.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanksg.jpg
    Can someone please remind me why the Crest below the WNT photo has 4 Stars above it - Happy Turkey Day you rascals.

Semblance17 and jnielsen repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It obviously represents the number of seasons over which the USWNT reigns superior each year.