News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think Fox existed then. I know they weren't broadcasting sports, if they did.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was on ABC back then.

lil_one and jackdoggy repped this.
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do replay any of these Matches.......I'm up for a Match Day thread pre/pbp/post - - - no spoilers though:D:D:D:D

4. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know, I'm jonesing bad. I still have 1/2 the US-Japan game to watch, and a few WWC games I never watched, but after that, I'm worried . . .

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #3505 TimB4Last, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Significant it was ...

"Taking Cordeiro’s place will be U.S. Soccer’s vice president, Cindy Cone, a former USWNT player. According to the federation’s bylaws, she will serve as president until the next U.S. Soccer annual general meeting, which is planned for February 2021."

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/us-soccer/uswnt-us-soccer-federation-carlos-cordeiro-resigns-sexism/

jnielsen repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3506 lil_one, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    It's happening!!! (on YouTube) Vote now for which match you'd like to see:

Also on FoxSports, TONIGHT they're re-airing the 2015 final on FS1. Tomorrow night they'll re-air the 2019 final on FS1: https://foxsports-wordpress-www-prs...17-Weekly-Program-Schedule-3.15-3.20_3.17.pdf

7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know about any others but I would like to see a replay of all the US matches in the 1995 WWC in Sweden. We did not win that one in fact we lost in the semis to the eventual winner Norway. I remember little about that tournament except that Akers was injured and was not able to compete at full speed in some matches. I was unfortunately traveling a LOT at that time and missed most of the few matches that actually got televised and I even missed the broadcast of highlights for most matches.

While the soccer was not as good at that time or in '91 or '99 I still would like to see those matches. I have heard that the first match of group play between The US and China where China came back from 3-1 down to tie was a really good match, maybe one of the best of the tournament. (The US also met and defeated China in the third place match.)

I know digging up archives from that long ago might not be easy but I would find it interesting.

For that matter some of the matches from the '91 WWC might be interesting to see. Modern matches are well known but some of those old matches might be of real interest and fun to watch. I hope some accessible TV or streaming service takes this chance to provide access to some of the older matches.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the matches in '91 were 80 minutes, so it would be a slightly different experience.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good number of the 1991 WWC games are available on YouTube that users have posted. Just do a search for them. Also you can find clips of the 1995 WWC on YouTube, but not as many full matches.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015 final is on NOW on FS1...

Spoiler Alert: you're late to the show, and Lloyd has already scored twice.

(Its re-airing again later tonight.)

EDIT: Also Carli Lloyd is having a Q&A on Fox Soccer's twitter feed as we re-watch the final.

12. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Good to see old classic soccer games. May hook in some new followers and may be some new sponsors. Always good for the sport.

As far as WNT, I hope they include past Olympics as well. The Canada vs US 2012 Olympics; sinclair/rapinoe shoot out (4-3) is great along with the 2015 US vs Germany WWC game. Germany's Sasic misses a pk after Solo's delay tactics or good old Gamesmenship.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...canada-2012-olympics-final-score-match-report

With MNT looking forward to seeing the all time fav Tim Howard save show in that 2014 Belgium WC game. 15 saves I think?

jnielsen repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA probably doesn't have the rights to Olympics matches.

Respect the Game repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It would be better for us old folks if they didn’t put the final score in the program guide.

;)

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    I agree. it is probably Fox who has decided to replay these matches which they broadcasted/staffed. It was great to see that wnt crew playing together again. They were fun to watch.

I don't recall who handled broadcasting the Summer Olympics back in 2012. Could have been ABC (ESPN partner/Disney). If so, maybe ESPN will follow suit in replaying some classic matches to fill the open spots in their programing.

We are sports starved right now. And these classic games are a great distraction.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it's FIFA that is actually doing the broadcasting in this case, rather than the broadcast rights holder. FIFA doesn't own the rights to the Olympics because that belongs to the IOC. Whether the networks can re-broadcast depends on their contracts.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those asking for the 2012 Olympic semifinal, its on YouTube:

jnielsen and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    W-League: The championship game in Australia is live on Friday night at 9:30pm PT / 12:30am ET, apparently it's on ESPN+, um, maybe they're taping it...

[​IMG] 1st-place Melbourne City won their semi-final 5-1, with US defender Lauren Barnes starting, and substitute striker Ally Watt on loan from NC Courage. So far, Watt has done well, scoring 3 goals in 141 playing minutes.

[​IMG] Defending champs Sydney won their previous match with American GK Aubrey Bledsoe in the lineup, and FWs Sofia Huerta and Veronica Latsko, whose single goal defeated the ever ironically-named Melbourne Victory, 1-0.

There'll be updates in our thread:

Aussie W-League / Melbourne City FC vs Sydney FC
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/posts/38582907/

[​IMG]
    AAMI Park​

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The broadcast of the 2019 WWC final is on now on FS1 (nearly halftime; re-airing it again later tonight). Rewatching these two finals in consecutive nights really does show how the team evolved in 4 years; also I'm remembering how good van Veenendaal was in this game.

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Mewis is doing a Q&A on Fox Soccer's twitter feed on this game.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Portland fans will be able to watch old Thorns matches on kptv 12 each Saturday at 3:00 (pac) for the duration of the shutdown. Today is the 2013 opening match.

Timbers fans get Sunday at 3:00.

no idea about online options. kptv is a fox network station.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2019 WWC semifinal between US and England is kicking off soon on YouTube (its at 1 pm ET):

Semblance17, Mills and Klingo3034 repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Watching it now.

24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I hope the U.S. wins!

Semblance17 and Mills repped this.
  25. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Thanks, I really enjoy rewatching the matches with British announcers vs American announcers.
    Luckily, I was able to see the 2020 ShibaLeaves matches which aired on BBC.