News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I recently read about a court case in CT on the subject regarding women's high school track athletes: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/us/transgender-athletes-connecticut-lawsuit/index.html

I think the argument will boil down to this: the issue only goes one way.
    That is, transgender women (born male) playing competitive women's sports.
    You never hear about transgender men (born female) playing men's sports.

2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I've seen news where transgender athletes were dominant in women's game. I don't think its fair. They shouldn't be allowed to play against them like that.

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

My Pez dispenser (and to a lesser extent, Funko Pop)-collecting brother alerted me to these but I was a little underwhelmed. I would have liked to have seen two or three more players like Press and Lavelle, and I want to say that they could have duplicated the kits a little more closely without risking legal trouble from Nike.

But I like the optimism of the "So far". Hopefully these will sell like hotcakes (though I don't think I will personally be a buyer) and the company will invest in a second round.

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure if they do well sales wise, they'll probably do a 2nd release of the other Nat'l team players. They probably wanted to just test the waters and see if there was any interest with these name brand players first. I'm excited for these and I might get the Rapinoe if she came with a red away with pink hair instead of blonde hair.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her head is so large it changes the angle of her arms :giggle:

The heads detach, right? Buy a white home pink and a red away white and swap them :p

It's like buying the two chess sets so that the South fight the Klingons.

CoachJon and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you happen to know the FIFA windows for June and July? I'm considering my yearly trek up to Orlando for a Pride game but I want to make sure the USWNT players on both sides will be present.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    June 1-10 is the June window, and there's actually not a window in July besides the Olympics window (the window starts July 22). However, I'm guessing the team will go into camp a few weeks before the Olympics start whenever the roster is announced, and the matches will be a sendoff for them during that camp before they travel to Japan.

Semblance17 repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While most of the coverage of this focuses on the father/son aspect, this (AFAIK), will be the first son/child of a USWNT player to make it to the full NT:

CoachJon and lil_one repped this.
  10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danielle Egan? Never heard of her, maybe before my time? Anyway, its about time we see offspring of our USWNT players playing soccer and becoming professional.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She had 6 caps, all while attending UNC. 1993 was a very different time for the WNT.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, 5 of Egan's 6 caps were at the World University Games in NY, which some question if those caps/goals should count for the full team's stats because the teams there were essentially youth teams.

And yeah, it was definitely a very different time for the WNT.

BostonRed repped this.
  13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well anyway, just waiting for the other USWNT'ers to get their offspring on a professional soccer road. Maybe it might take a few years or 15 years? 99ners don't seem to have it in them to get their kids in professional sports.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Not too worried since others can take over. U-17s look good. Same for U-20s. And the younger USWNTs seem to be in good hands learning from the best when they take over. Hogan, Pugh, Davidson and others like Sophie Smith and Ashley Sanchez once they perform well in NWSL.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure its about years down the road. I think its the exception, not the rule, when a child follows a parent's sports career. Same goes for many of the rest of us who didn't want to do what mom or dad did, and for a mom or dad who don't want to push a child into a certain career, especially their own where they know the hardships and sacrifices. Sharing a hobby/passion with your child is one thing; sharing a career is a whole other.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you have to consider that there are far fewer opportunities in women's pro sports compared to men (and Egan didn't play professionally). We already came close to a daughter of a USMNT player getting a cap with the WNT (Vanessa DiBernardo) and we have daughters of Dennis Rodman & NFL players in the YNT pool. Can't think of any other sons or daughters of top female athletes in our pool (though Susana Zigante plays for Croatia; her mother was capped by the US twice in the early days).

CoachJon and jnielsen repped this.
  17. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some Individuals are setting the USWNT fandom bar pretty high:
    atg.jpg
    Per that Tweeting Thing.

18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen, McSkillz, Mills and 1 other person repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there's a lot of sports programming that's opened up recently. Anyone else in for trying to get FoxSports to rerun 2015 and 2019 WWC games?

McSkillz, Mills and Semblance17 repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jnielsen and Mills repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! Although I think I'd prefer the 2014 over 2018 MWC to be able to watch the US...maybe all of them then. We have lots of time slots available.

sitruc and jnielsen repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaaaah, the "Original Broadcast Rights" vs./and/or "Replay Broadcast Rights" if any question. We may finally get our answer.

I wasn't back from France immediately after the final - - Did they replay the WWC Final two days four days later???

Anyway, per BR's post, the "Hairdo" is "on it".

23. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Please let us know if and when this happens.
    I come here for all my scheduling and programming news.

24. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this was a long time ago but can we get like the 1999 WWC? I was just a kid and only caught the final which was the moment I went crazy for the team...

cpthomas repped this.