News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not much of a surprise. Sanchez was a shoo-in.

I haven't been a Heath fan -- but she deserved to win in 2016. She finally lived up to expectations.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, she's definitely come into her own in the past couple of years. I wouldn't have minded seeing Dunn get the award, but I'm happy with Heath who had a great year for both country and club.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listened to it, and I second the recommendation. The first half is a discussion between Jen Cooper and Richard Farley on NWSL expansion; the second half with Ohai is a great listen as she talks about being the newbie in a WNT camp and who helped her and what the environment is like. On the possibility of a strike, Ohai sounds like she wouldn't be crossing any picket lines.

5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    lil_one, sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not the most weather friendly choices

Semblance17 repped this.
  8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Who cares about the cold or the snow.
    She will still Believe.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So Chester, PA is where the Union play, I assume that's where one game will be. Washington DC will be the other one, but where is Harrison, and what stadium will that be in?

I was hoping for Florida again where I can do a Disney and a soccer game Vaca again. Darn! Going to the East Coast above the Mason Dixon Line after a long winter in Chicago doesn't seem appealing to me.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Jersey, Red Bull arena. The WNT has played there. DC would be the old RFK stadium? the locations are probably to make it ease on travel for the visitors.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Considering it actually says Washington and all of the other locations use the city of the venue and not the region, I would assume RFK too. That will be a few days after United's home opener.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Last year they played Columbia in April. It was 30 something in East Hartford and 40s in Chester.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why did they play a college team?

Semblance17, lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's spelled, COLOMBIA. ;)

I can see the exasperation on @sitruc's face now. :D LOL!!!

BlueCrimson, blissett and sitruc repped this.
  16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe they really meant the USWNT played themselves or something, since "Columbia" was commonly used as a name for "America" before the Progressive Era, when for some reason Lady Liberty started becoming a more popular feminine personification than the depictions of Lady Columbia.

As with many things, I blame Woodrow Wilson.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or some may say its just different incarnations/avatars of the same goddess of America, but we've just forgotten her name:

Of course, if this song had become the official national anthem, everyone would know the name "Columbia":

CoachJon and Timon19 repped this.
  18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ......aaaaaaand maybe Carli Lloyd appreciation tournament??? Considering locations are 30, 75 and 150 miles from her hometown.
    But geez, the Northeast.......the 1st week of March?!?!?!?!?!? Anyone have a Parka I can borrow for a week?
    Maybe USSoccer is having trouble moving the following items:

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Lady Liberty never wore a Phrygian cap.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I have explained here before...I was born and lived most of my life in Columbia County. U have a better chance of Colombia changing their name than me figuring it out :)

blissett repped this.
  21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. No biggie.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be at least one friendly in late January/early February, correct? I wonder when can we expect that announcement to drop...

24. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't expect it (from USSoccer) until the elephant in the room gets solved.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this link of Morgan on ESPN Radio discussing her move to Lyon in the NWSL forum, but it does contain a couple of nuggets that pertain more to the WNT:

-According to Morgan, Ellis is committed to sticking to FIFA dates from here on out.
    -She mentions the likelihood of a couple of camps in the first few months of the year before NWSL starts, in which the team might be called in a bit earlier than the FIFA dates.

That second one implies that a January camp is still on; the two FIFA windows before the league starts are January 16-24, in which 2 matches can be played, and Feb. 27-Mar. 8, in which the SheBelieves Cup would happen. (There's also the April 3-11 FIFA window, but that would be during NWSL preseason, so I don't think that's what Morgan was referring to.) Plus, there's the fact that neither side (USSF or WNT) have given a 60-day notice.