News: Man Utd's Rooney thankful he took injury-time chance

Discussion in 'Italy: News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Manchester United’s match-winner Wayne Rooney says he was thankful for getting another chance to score in the dramatic Carling Cup semi-final win.

Rooney netted the winner in injury-time as United took out a 3-1 win over crosstown rivals Manchester City on the night (4-3 on aggregate) but it could have been a different story after he earlier missed an easy chance.

"I was not that worried although I should have done better,” he told Sky Sports.

"I know with our deliveries I will get chances and thankfully I took that one in injury time."

Rooney admitted that he believed the team could get back into the match due to the quality players they had on the park even though they were 2-1 down from the first leg and paid special praise for midfielder Darren Fletcher who was named man of the match.

“We started well but it went a bit slow in the middle. But we have players like Fletch (Darren Fletcher), (Michael) Carrick, (Paul) Scholes and (Ryan) Giggs to call on,” he added.

"He (Fletcher) underlines what United are all about.

"Fletch has been playing like that for the last two years. He is a world-class player."

More...