News: Liverpool’s Gerrard determined to return to best form

Discussion in 'Italy: News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says he is determined to get back to his best form and help the club into a top-four position.

The England international has been dogged by groin and hamstring injuries recently, forcing him to miss seven games and in turn his form has tapered off.

But he is intent on regaining full fitness and reclaiming his best form to get Liverpool where they should be on the league table.

“As captain, I've just got to focus on trying to get back to top form myself, try to stay fit and help this group move into the top four," he said. "That's my job.

"I was just pleased to be back. The injury is fine and I played the 90 minutes. It was a real tough test for the leg and I'm pleased to come through.

"To play a full game after 13 days is encouraging. I just need to keep working hard in training and my form will get better."

Gerrard said he expected the team’s form to keep improving after they turned their poor start right around with a five-match unbeaten run despite being held to a scoreless draw by Wolves on Tuesday.

"Everyone knows this team has been through a difficult period. Confidence has been affected. But we have shown we can dig in and battle. We know results will improve,” he said.

"We believe we've turned the corner. We've got two home games coming up next against Bolton and Everton and if we can take maximum points, we'll be closer to where we want to be.

"We'll keep fighting for that fourth spot. There's still a lot of football to be played and we know if we keep fighting and showing big desire, we'll move up the table fast."

More...