News/Info on MagicJack

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by MRAD12, Jul 18, 2011.

1. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    makes no sense not to work together..why can't the WPS and US soocer work together promoting all this....as usual probaby way to many EGO"S

2. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they go out of there way not to mention the WPS, I forget which player said this but it was either Hope or Abby
    -------------------------------------------------

3. emeybee

emeybee New Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    That was Carli Lloyd

4. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a student at FAU and check out the e-mail I received:

"magicJack Team Returns to FAU on July 27 with Eight Members from World Cup

The University community will be afforded the opportunity to watch the Women’s World Cup players in action next week. The women’s professional soccer team, magicJack, will return to Boca Raton on July 27 to take on Sky Blue FC at FAU’s soccer field.

Eight players from the United States women’s national team that recently played Japan in the World Cup final, return to play with the magicJack. The magicJack players who represented the U.S. include: Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Christie Rampone (captain), Megan Rapinoe, Shannon Boxx, Becky Sauerbrunn, Jill Loyden and Lindsey Tarpley (injured). magicJack has not played a home game at the FAU campus since May 28, a 4-0 win over the Atlanta Beat. Since then, the team has had five games including a couple played without the help from their eight World Cup players.

With five home games left for magicJack, Florida Atlantic has released majicJack ticket prices and five-game packages, a 5-pack for the remaining home games. The 5-pack includes tickets to the five last home games, children’s tickets can be purchased for $35 (general admission) or $45 (center circle). For adults, tickets are $45 (general admission) and $65 (center circle). Single game tickets can also be purchased starting at $10 for (general admission) or $15 (center circle) for children, and $12 (general admission) or $18 (center circle) for adults. Tickets can be purchased by calling 1-866-FAU OWLS or 1-866-328-6957. Individual tickets are also available online at www.ticketmaster.com search “magicJack”.

The remaining magicJack schedule:
    Wednesday, July 27 v. Sky Blue FC at 7 p.m.
    Saturday, July 30 v. Boston Breakers at 7 p.m.
    Wednesday, Aug. 3 v. Sky Blue FC at 7 p.m.
    Wednesday, Aug. 10 v. Western NY Flash at 7 pm.
    Sunday, Aug. 14 v. Philadelphia Independence at 4 p.m.

Also...

Special Event: FAU Head Football Coach Howard Schnellenberger is going to be at Boca Raton's Town Center Mall from 1-3 p.m. tomorrow, July 23, signing autographs. Season tickets will also be available for $135.

this email was sent to all students so maybe they are trying to get the word out finally?

5. NashvillePainter

NashvillePainter New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Nike's got a couple of new ads together, 1st featuring everyone's favorite towheaded midfielder:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU3EqtZlXsg"]‪Megan Rapinoe: Pressure Makes Us‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

(from mPinoe on Twitter)

Also one featuring #20:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jD9eifJOUM"]‪Pressure Makes Us: Abby Wambach‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Also, earlier:

6. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    @Nashville -- Love those adds, they came out before the WWC however.

@Blustar -- that's great news that they're promoting the games. Get people in and around FAU to the games. Don't know if anyone has been following MJ within the last 24 hours, but they have been making MOVES. Just today they posted on their fb page (https://www.facebook.com/permalink....like#!/pages/MagicJack-Soccer/159832397410159) that they've add Anheuser Busch and Embassy Suites Hotels as sponsors (those are some big ones) and that they've doubled the available seats for the remaining two home games. Doesn't look like they've moved to Lockhart stadium--which would be too painfully obvious for DB. But it's definitely a turn in the right direction.

Let's just hope it keeps going that way!

7. Fate

Fate Member

Jul 19, 2011
    South Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've added MetroPCS too.

8. Fate

Fate Member

Jul 19, 2011
    South Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Pinoe is returning Wednesday according to twitter.

9. NashvillePainter

Jul 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops! Thanks WM - I edited the post I wrote about those in another thread but forgot to do it here.

MPinoe's been promoting hers on Twitter today and MJ had the Wambach one up front. It'd be great to see them on FSC sometime...

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS would love to work together w/ the USSF.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Only the first 200 people will get autographs, according to these Sun Sentinel and WPLG TV-10 articles. I imagine that more fans than expected might show up and overwhelm the event.

13. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Anyone read the article from WNY's Yael Averbuch in NYT? There was an interesting comment someone had at the bottom about the marketing of the league to ten-year old girls (http://community.nytimes.com/commen...1/07/23/our-game-is-lifted/?permid=9#comment9). I think the poster brings up a valid point, one that if the league is to succeed it needs to market itself as an event, not as a family-fun activity for little kids.

So when I see MagicJack pick up Anheuser-Busch as a sponsor (https://www.facebook.com/MagicJack#!/pages/MagicJack-Soccer/159832397410159), I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, that team is doing something right.

14. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is never a bad thing. Tell them first 200 get autographs, and then anyone else that didn't get one should go to the next MJ game and try then :D

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several other teams have had or do have "beergartens" but yes, there's definitely a need for WPS to make sure they just aren't for PTHs. I think (she says hesitantly) teams are cognizant of that being a problem in WUSA and trying (sorta) to avoid same.

Beau Dure said on his twitter acct that
    . This guy definitely runs his franchise differently than other sports team owners. I do think there's got to be more to it than a "simple" donation...

16. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Maybe to upgrade the stadium? Would seem logical espcially in light of them doubling the available seats for sale. Dude seems deadset on playing at the stadium as opposed to Lockhart... Regardless, I hope its an actual donation and not a kick-back for using the stadium. But to paraphrase you, he definitely has his own way of "doing business."

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they want to move a half hour away to Lockhart, conflict with the Strikers,and deal with the type of landlord nightmares that that stadium is infamous for?

If they have such a demand for tickets that they are unable to expand to accommodate people, then they can look at the new FAU stadium for next year.

18. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC

Ahh...it all makes sense now. Did not know they were building a new stadium. Looks AWESOME:
    http://www.local10.com/sports/28581247/detail.html

Hopefully Borislow's money is going to this. I did see in that interview, "Pay enough: and you can name the stadium." Ha! If MJ stays there, would be a great place to see a game...

19. seCrawler

seCrawler New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santa Fe Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I guess I was talking about the Gold Rush since the WC. If they can put 10k in a stadium, then schedule 2 or 3 games at Lockhart. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another 4-5k seat stadium going up next to the field they are playing on currently? What happen to that? Is that purely a football stadium? It didn't say anything about soccer.

20. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Interesting points from recent articles. 1. Even with expanded seating FAU Soccer Stadium still has a capacity of only 2,800 (plus standing room only). 2. magicJack is reported to be looking into moving into Lockhart Stadium (according to an article with no author listed).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/fl-abby-wambach-0727-20110726,0,6426996.story
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/abby-wambach-magicjack-ready-for-first-home-match-1657948.html
    [Edit: added below]

http://twitter.com/#!/jenna_awk/status/95633266425606145

21. NashvillePainter

Jul 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the other NYTimes commenters mentions the Freedom's beer garden being a welcome respite from shrieking little kids...

I've only been to one WPS game (live >3 hours from ATL, my nearest team) but the, er, youngster contingent was quite visible (and audible). Hoping they keep working on this.

22. seCrawler

seCrawler New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santa Fe Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all knew this. :)

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ""I didn't even think 80-year-olds watch soccer in general, much less women's soccer," Rapinoe said after practice at magicJack Field in West Palm Beach. "It was a pretty touching moment.""

I just got a copy of the email my 80 year old Mom sent the writer saying that she "resents" Megan's comment and that we were going to the game Saturday.:)

I hate Ticketmaster, why buy tickets online and still have to stand in line at Willcall? If you can print out an airline ticket at home, why not an event ticket?

Looks like they have relaxed the prohibition on player interviews though.

24. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    probabaly bc all the crap is out in the open now so to not let them do interviews doesn't really matter now i assume....becaue the news is out

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that Sun-Sentinel piece posted earlier where Abby does a meet & greet at a FL mall, she's quoted as saying Borislow buying the Freedom indeed kept the league from folding. And on coaching, she says:
    And the 2nd video clip in the Sun-Sentinel suggests that Abby's signed some sort of sponsorship agreement w/ Macy's. The "partnering" language generally means sponsorship.

And Rapinoe tweeted about that older woman congratulating her on the plane--the tweet made it sound like she was touched the woman spoke to her.