News Corp. Said to Plan U.S. Sports Network to Rival ESPN

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tk421, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-28/news-corp-said-to-plan-u-s-sports-network-to-rival-espn.html

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    This has been the prediction ever since Fox won the WC rights. It would have been a very awkward fit without a nation-wide sports-dedicated channel to use as a platform.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but they won't be in competition though .....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I had no idea I had Fuel. I guess they'll just re-brand it as the national Fox SportsNet.

Off-topic, but when is CBS Sports Network going to become a contender?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually makes the most sense, but even then, I think they'll have the same "stuck in the sports tier" problem that NBCSN is dealing with right now. Oh yeah, and the whole "lack of live sports" thing. (Yes, I know, they can probably get some live college sports on there for the time being, thanks to their deals with the Big Ten [sic], Pac-12, and Big XII [sic], but the major pro leagues already have their cable deals sewn up for the time being.)

When more carriers carry them, when those carriers put the channel in a basic or extended basic tier, and when they start carrying something other than minor college sports and a rebroadcast of the previous week's SEC football game.

6. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    To grow something like this, you do have to look at the ESPN2 model. ESPN2 was very small until ESPN started putting bigger games on the channel. The tip of the iceberg came when Duke/Carolina played a classic basketball game on the channel, then it went big.

If NBC put Sunday Night Football on NBC Sports Network, that would change the game as to where the channel is in regards to tiers.

The current inventory across the News Corp. channels that could show up on the new channel are college football from conferences previously mentioned, MLB since they get a nice weekend slate, soccer (including Champions' League), UFC, and NASCAR for a few months, which includes the Daytona 500 every year. I doubt the NFL would go there at this point, but TV contracts could change, especially if the NFL keeps giving consideration to offering a Thursday Night package for bid.

There would be live programming issues now, but if the channel is a year or two away, they may be able to get some things done as agreements expire.

7. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE
    Off-topic, but when is CBS Sports Network going to become a contender?[/QUOTE]

Jim Rome is on it so I hope it wont go anywhere.

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, this hasn't worked for the NFL Network. Still are a lot of cable companies that don't offer it--don't want to pay the money the NFL is asking for essentially one game a week.

9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The college football was a pretty big momentum shifter as well .... and of course, THE TICKER !

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comcast and News Corp have a much bigger stick that they can use on cable companies than the NFL does. As you said, the NFL has a single game a week that they can use as leverage, but Comcast and News Corp have all of their other channels as leverage to get their sports channel off of premium packages.

11. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    fox sports

ufc, ccl, uefacl, nhl playoffs, world cup, euro cup, confederations cup, w.world cup, march madness, boxing, k1

that would be a beast channel.

12. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    March Madness is locked up on CBS and Turner Sports for a long time. NHL is locked up on NBC/NBCSN for a long time, and the next couple of Euros are going to be on ESPN, so they'd certainly have to find some alternative stuff.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they will only do right-wing sports.

1 person likes this.
  14. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    NHL and NCAA tournament are both in long-term contracts. Month-long international soccer tournaments are no way to build a long-term presence. CCL isn't a huge draw, and UEFA CL matches are held on weekday afternoons.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm still waiting for the Fox News parody news show that makes fun of "The Daily Show"

16. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :D So no soccer! ;)

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't they already try that and fail miserably?

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well the good news would be no Eric Wynalda.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't think it ever got past the press announcement.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never happened. It was a terrible idea from the beginning. The median Fox News viewer is what, 65? I just can't see that demo tuning into political humor. Regardless Fox News has nothing to do with this.

I'm sure that if Roger Ailes wanted a piece of the decisions making, he would find a way to get involved. But honestly, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that cares about sports. He's the kind of guy that literally surrounds himself with security guards in public and drives in a bulletproof vehicle because he thinks he's being targeted by Islamic terrorists. He's the guy who rang the security alarms at Fox News HQ because he thought one of the middle-eastern janitors was a suicide bomber. His agenda is purely political.

21. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My inner Mr. Warmth wants to have a field day with this.

Ooohhhhh....so tempting. And too easy.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you are thinking of the Red Eye late night show.

23. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB is up next. Their contracts end after 2013 I think.

25. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have that show called Red Eye which is supposed to be funny, to someone.