News: Arsenal legend Wright: Selling Rooney would be football suicide at Man Utd

Discussion in 'Italy: News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Jan 26, 2010.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Arsenal legend Ian Wright says Manchester United would go into meltdown if they ever sold Wayne Rooney.

In his column for The Sun, Wright wrote: "His red-hot form for Manchester United has fuelled more talk he could soon be set for a multi-million pound reunion with Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid.

"With all the financial goings-on at Old Trafford, I could see Rooney running out at the Bernabeu in a white shirt next season - especially if he has a good World Cup.

"Indeed, I would be very surprised if former Red Devils idol Ronaldo, who left United for Madrid for a world-record £80million last summer, is NOT badgering his new club's head coach Manuel Pellegrini and president Florentino Perez on a daily basis, telling them to splash the cash to nab his old pal.

"But despite their confusing cash situation, from a football point of view United cannot afford to sell Rooney. Losing one superstar in a year is a big problem, but losing two would be catastrophic.

"Ronaldo's departure, albeit inevitable because of his boyhood ambitions, was devastating enough.

"Selling Rooney, though, would be football suicide."

More...